Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Ward 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 83%  83%  [ 5 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

The Ward 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Ward
The Ward

Quote:
The Ward is a 2010 film directed by John Carpenter. The screenplay is written by Michael Rasmussen and Shawn Rasmussen. It stars Amber Heard, Danielle Panabaker, Mika Boorem, and Jared Harris. While no US distributor has been set, the UK received John Carpenter's return to feature-length horror on January 21, 2011. It will be Carpenter's first full-length feature film since Ghosts of Mars in 2001, and his first feature not shot in Panavision since his debut Dark Star.

The story revolves around a young institutionalized woman named Kristen (Amber Heard) who is haunted by a mysterious and deadly ghost. As danger creeps closer, she comes to realize that this ghost might be darker than anything she ever could have imagined.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:22 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: The Ward
Not exactly a return to form for Carpenter. Terribly scripted, it mostly plods along until the excruciating finale, which makes sure to include the most brainless and obvious of twist endings just for kicks. And of course, there's one last scare for good measure.

That said, it's somewhat entertaining watching a ward of hot, crazy chicks argue amongst themselves and slowly get killed off in increasingly disturbing fashion. It's almost like Sucker Punch, without the insane fantasy sequences.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:26 pm
Wallflower

I thought this was going to be pretty entertaining. Was definitely wrong. Pretty lame thriller with a stupid twist ending.

C-

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:12 am
Extraordinary

Meh premise, weak acting, and a really awful, predictable, laughable ending. But it's somehow held together by the fact that Carpenter, even a probably bored Carpenter who knows he's above this material, still has chops.

Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:38 am
Pure Phase

Eh, definitely not a return to form for old, uninspired John Carpenter, but it's not awful (high praise, I know). The gorgeous, talented cast, including Amber Heard and Danielle Panabaker, obviously care and turn in strong, above-average-for-the-genre performances for Carpenter. And the old master, to his credit, creates a few solid scare sequences. I have particular affection for the scene where Heard and Mamie Gummer's characters are crawling through the poorly lit duct system. But the whole enterprise feels a bit flat. Carpenter, who doesn't even bother composing the original score, relies far too much on jump scares. And the ending is just bad, bad, bad, predictable, rote, bad. So bad it's almost embarrassing everyone on the set thought, "Oh, wow, this is going to surprise those audiences good! This is clever!"

The very ending is even worse. All right, they went for the whole, "Every main character is part of one troubled girl's multiple personality disorder" route. Lame, but fine, I don't care. But then ending on an out-of-nowhere, nonsensical note just to have one more jump scare is offensive. They could've at least integrated the Zooey personality, whose "body" we never see (just a blood trail), or, braver still, just end on a note of honest resolution. Going for a cheap as hell One Last Scare is beneath Carpenter.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:09 pm
The Wall

5/10 -> C-

Decent, but this was done way better a couple of years ago. Watch Identity instead.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]