Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Something Borrowed 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Something Borrowed 
loyalfromlondon

Post Something Borrowed
Something Borrowed

Quote:
Something Borrowed is a 2011 American romantic comedy film based on Emily Giffin's book of the same name, directed by Luke Greenfield, starring Ginnifer Goodwin, Kate Hudson, Colin Egglesfield and John Krasinski.

It was distributed in the United States by Warner Bros. Pictures and in India by PVR Pictures.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu May 05, 2011 11:22 pm
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Something Borrowed
John Kransinki's character is pretty much the only likeable person in the entire movie and there were certain traits to his character where one could argue that he's a gigantic asshole. It also didn't help that his character seemed to be written as the "gay best friend", but once they got Krasinski they made a last minute change. I have no idea why his character would remain friends with Goodwin's character. Oh wait, they try to later explain it off by having his character admit that he loves her (once she travels to see him in London for some reason...). I laughed hysterically when she essentially turned him down flat. It made me laugh even harder when I realized I was the only one in the theater laughing.

Every other character pretty much deserved one another. Why can't there be more romantic comedies where the characters don't come across as a bunch of fucking morons? One a year at least seem to get it right, why not all of them?

½* (D-)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat May 07, 2011 6:33 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

From the trailer I did think he was supposed to be the gay best friend, but then I read about the book and saw that wasn't the case. I don't think it was ever planned for his character to be gay in the movie.

I still want to see this. I think it looks enjoyable and I like movies centered around flawed characters. Not to mention Goodwin and Krasinski are adorable.

Sun May 08, 2011 12:18 am
Pure Phase

Mike wrote:
I think it looks enjoyable and I like movies centered around flawed characters.

As long as they're all sexy and generic and flawed in very "Hollywood" ways. :P

(You wouldn't finish In the Company of Men. But you did enjoy Greenberg...so I forgive you, lol)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun May 08, 2011 12:24 am

For anyone who knows the book - Is there a sequel? About halfway through the credits there was another scene and it ended with "To Be Continued". I'm hoping it was a joke.

Sun May 08, 2011 12:58 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Gunslinger wrote:
Mike wrote:

(You wouldn't finish In the Company of Men. But you did enjoy Greenberg...so I forgive you, lol)

In my defense I was very young when I attempted to watch In the Company of Men. Still, there is a limit in how flawed I like my characters :P. I despised the characters in In the Company of Men and I couldn't bear to spend another minute with them. Plus, I prefer flawed female characters to flawed male characters.

And yes, there is a second book called "Something Blue" where Hudson's character takes the lead and it's from her POV.

Sun May 08, 2011 1:07 am
Pure Phase

Mike wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Mike wrote:

In my defense I was very young when I attempted to watch In the Company of Men. Still, there is a limit in how flawed I like my characters :P. I despised the characters in In the Company of Men and I couldn't bear to spend another minute with them. Plus, I prefer flawed female characters to flawed male characters.

There is powerful comeuppance in the third act.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun May 08, 2011 1:18 am

Mike wrote:
And yes, there is a second book called "Something Blue" where Hudson's character takes the lead and it's from her POV.

I must hate myself because that actually sounds somewhat interesting to me.

Sun May 08, 2011 1:26 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

A lot of people say they preferred the second book, so maybe a second movie would be better ;).

Sun May 08, 2011 1:27 am
Pure Phase

Maybe Kate Hudson should retire and just devote the rest of her life to sucking the increasingly overrated Matthew Bellamy's cock. ;)

Or do more interesting roles in non-romantic comedies, if she prefers.

Sun May 08, 2011 1:31 am
Forum General

Most rom-coms premises are retarded anyway. So many unrealistic characters, most of the time unlikeable, most of the time not even funny or romantic and this, well, trailer sucked anyway.

I mean, in the trailer you can tell there's no chemistry between Hudson and Goodwin and that the male love interest is a douchebag. So, really, it looked like the generic piece of shit it would turn out to be, which then begs the question, why did you see it?

Also, Hudson, meh, she's not hot, sexy or pretty which would be her only redeeming quality since she can't fucking act.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sun May 08, 2011 5:59 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Gunslinger wrote:
Maybe Kate Hudson should retire and just devote the rest of her life to sucking the increasingly overrated Matthew Bellamy's cock. ;)

Or do more interesting roles in non-romantic comedies, if she prefers.

Matthew who?

Oh and this movie looks like anus.

Sun May 08, 2011 11:44 am
Pure Phase

I'm not sure if your question is serious or not, so I'll answer it: lead singer/guitarist in Muse.

Sun May 08, 2011 5:04 pm
Where will you be?

So not overrated. Have you seen Muse live?

Mon May 09, 2011 3:39 am
Extraordinary

What an unpleasant surprise...

...and I mean that in the best possible way!

Something Borrowed is a rare and special sub-genre of ROMCOM - - and they give it away early on, when one of the characters says he didn't realize they planned to go dark - - it's a soap opera with only villains... no pesky nice guys or good girls to get in the way of exploring the sweaty underbelly of romance. Yep! If you don't leave the theatre feeling nasty, it's time to send your conscience out to get dry cleaned. And yet, even amidst the guile and depravation so vulgarly on display, those good old blatant romantic cues and cliches can still send the heart aflutter. Damn romance! It can sure blind you to love.

If I were to fail to mention it's several laugh out loud comic sequences that are so beautifully choreographed that they will be enjoyed for decades.

Plus, be sure to stay after the credits for an extra scene...
Spoiler: show
...teasing the London (!) sequel...

The actors are all veeeerryyy slimy for their respective roles - - though I especially dug Ginnifer Goodwin as the brunette witch to Kate Hudson's blonde one. The guys were realistically guy-like (in the negative energy universe, naturally).

I suspect many will have trouble wrapping their heads around this kind of black ROMCOM. Nonetheless, I hope it finds it's audience.

Something Borrowed is a keeper.

-36 out of 5.

Thu May 12, 2011 1:04 am
Wallflower

I'm actually pretty excited to see this :P. My cousin really wants to see it as well and I'm visiting her the week after Memorial Weekend so we're supposed to see it together. I personally don't think Goodwin's character seems that unlikeable. Flawed, but human.

Thu May 12, 2011 3:33 am
Sbil

A meandering romantic comedy that actually has a few interesting ideas but no idea how to execute them. This is mostly because most viewers will want to shout at the characters for their annoying actions. Ginnifer Goodwin's Rachel is a doormat almost too pathetic to be believable and Colin Egglesfield's Dex is a wishy-washy coward, while Kate Hudson's Darcy is a vain and incessantly self-absorbed twit. Goodwin is a terrific actress and she manages to rise above her weak character occasionally, although her "tortured" romance with the handsome but bland Egglesfield is never believable. Hudson is actually quite good in a cartoonish sort of way; Darcy is so shallowly written that the part cries out for an over-the-top portrayal, and Hudson delivers. John Krasinski is undeniably a standout, as he has the most interesting character (although he is also shallowly developed). There are moments where the film actually succeeds with some of the moral ambiguities associated with the main triangle, but unfortunately not enough. I really liked the novel when I read it, and while the movie has some interesting ideas and decent acting, it's kind of a scatterbrained exercise in mediocrity. C

Thu May 19, 2011 4:17 pm
Wallflower

Saw it last week and thought it was highly enjoyable and a bit underrated. I was very into the storyline and found most of the main characters to be interesting, save for Hudson's obnoxious Darcy. I especially liked Rachel and Ethan, though I think a lot of that had to do with them being played by two charismatic actors. I liked Dex but found him to be a bit too cowardly. I liked that the characters weren't perfect.

One thing that could have made it better in a way is if Rachel and Ethan had gotten together. The whole time I was rooting for Rachel and Dex, but once Dex blew it outside the bar and Ethan confessed his feelings I was really hoping Rachel and Ethan would be together. During his confession I really thought that's where it was going, but it didn't. Not even sure what the point of this scene was if they weren't going to do anything with it. Would have preferred it to not be included. It just made me feel bad for Ethan and left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

I'd love to see a sequel personally, though I'm unsure how it would be if it centered around the most obnoxious character in the first movie. I'd still be interested though so even though I doubt it will, I'm hoping it happens.

I'm thinking of checking out the books. Considered just reading the sequel but am unsure if the movie left anything out of the first book that would leave me confused if I just read the second book.

Anyway, I give Something Borrowed a B+.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:07 am
ef star star kay

At least, there were some Colin Egglesfield's shirtless scenes to watch. Although the guy got tired after awhile. And I kind of .. hated everyone in this film. C

Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:23 pm
Wallflower

Have seen this three times. I still think it's pretty underrated and still love it. Man do I wish they'd turn Something Blue into a movie. One of the most enjoyable recent mainstream rom-coms.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:16 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Something Borrowed is just a typical romance film that is alright but doesn’t have an extra punch to make it memorable or stand out. Ginnifer Goodwin and John Krasinski are the only good actors in the film. **

Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:43 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]