Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 The Dilemma 

What grade would you give this film?
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

The Dilemma 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Dilemma
The Dilemma

Quote:
The Dilemma is a 2011 American comedy film starring Vince Vaughn and Kevin James. The film is directed by Ron Howard and was filmed entirely in Chicago, Illinois. The first trailer for the film received complaints for a line that used the word "gay" negatively. The line was removed from the trailer but kept in the film. The Dilemma will be released by Universal Pictures in the United States and Canada on January 14, 2011.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:16 am
Sbil

Post Re: The Dilemma
I enjoyed this more than I expected based on the tepid response. It's never really all that funny, but Ron Howard does a decent job wringing some chuckles and the drama out of the movie's central "dilemma." Vince Vaughn does a pretty good job here and is more likable than he's been in a while. Kevin James is kind of in the background but his performance is fine; Jennifer Connelly is, not surprisingly, stuck in an underwritten girlfriend part, although Winona Ryder gets some bitchy mileage out of her character. Comparing this to recent Vaughn movies, I'd say it was better than Couples Retreat and Four Christmases but not nearly as good as The Break-Up. B-

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:37 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I'm sure its every bit as enjoyable as "EDtv"

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:21 am
Forum General

I doubt it. ;) I loved that movie, this looks like trash.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

movies35 wrote:
I doubt it. ;) I loved that movie, this looks like trash.

I thought the trailers and the idea was pretty stupid also...but the movie was better than that (as I saw it today as part of a double feature)

Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:02 am
Forum General

Libs wrote:
I enjoyed this more than I expected based on the tepid response. It's never really all that funny, but Ron Howard does a decent job wringing some chuckles and the drama out of the movie's central "dilemma." Vince Vaughn does a pretty good job here and is more likable than he's been in a while. Kevin James is kind of in the background but his performance is fine; Jennifer Connelly is, not surprisingly, stuck in an underwritten girlfriend part, although Winona Ryder gets some bitchy mileage out of her character. Comparing this to recent Vaughn movies, I'd say it was better than Couples Retreat and Four Christmases but not nearly as good as The Break-Up. B-

Don't think Jennifer Connelly is that underwritten. Thought they gave her some nice meaty scenes, considering that was the second story part.

and PS, thought she looked great on the screen, such a beautiful women.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:06 am
Extraordinary

Ron Howard has made almost every genre of movie there is:

- Drama
- Comedy
- Kid's movie
- Action
- Western
- Sci-fi

...but this is the first time he's made a Woody Allen!

(and wouldn't ya know it, The Dilemma is a pretty darn good one.)

In the great theatrical tradition, the Drama Abbott sets up the Comedy Costello, and that dynamic delivers some intensely funny set pieces that are wickedly underplayed. I wouldn't let anyone tell you this movie isn't funny if I were you. The humor is integral to the story rather than the gag-a-minute style, and that in turn allows the drama to unfold without compromise. It is really quite a sophisticated piece. The only ball Howard dropped in this otherwise masterful juggling act was in not letting the business side of the story be an equal partner with personal side - - The Dilemma could have been a master piece.

This all rides on the shoulders of Vince Vaughn - - he makes The Dilemma his own. He's ably supported by Kevin James who's uncharacteristically overshadowed. Though there's something wrong with Jennifer Connelly's eyes here, they're swimming in dark make-up which drowns the cuteness. And Winona Ryder was just plain creeping me out - - Yyeeech! But I did dig Channing Tatum as Zip and Queen Latifah sporting her lady wood.

All-in-all a very good movie - - one that I am sure will reward repeat viewings.

7 out of 5.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:36 am
---------

It's better than Couples Retreat, but still fails to deliver some real laughs like the underrated Break-Up. Vaughn goes on a few good rolls sporadically (the toast scene was great), but I didn't laugh once from Kevin James. It hugs the line between dramedy and actual comedy a little too closely, so ends up being an average version of both.

C+

Also, I may have missed something toward the end, but was there any reason Kevin James' character was getting the massages, and were they actually "happy ending" massages?

Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:15 am
Forum General

MG Casey wrote:
It's better than Couples Retreat, but still fails to deliver some real laughs like the underrated Break-Up. Vaughn goes on a few good rolls sporadically (the toast scene was great), but I didn't laugh once from Kevin James. It hugs the line between dramedy and actual comedy a little too closely, so ends up being an average version of both.

C+

Also, I may have missed something toward the end, but was there any reason Kevin James' character was getting the massages, and were they actually "happy ending" massages?

Not explained how happy they were...even though they talked about there bad marriage....think they may have stress relievers, as he was high strung at work?

PS. Saw on the news the premiere of this in Hollywood...and I thought it was funny how Kevin James wasn't there? Not Wanted, Not Invited, Didn't Care to Go? But Kevin James must have alot of money from his 10 years on King of Queens.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:18 am
Forum General

Better than I expected. Pretty funny, good performances. Jennifer Connelly looks amazing for 40. Very jealous of Paul Bettany. B

Sun May 01, 2011 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Vince Vaughn and Kevin James work well together in The Dilemma, the only problem is they would of been better in a different kind of comedy. I can tell Ron Howard tried to make a worthwhile dark comedy and at times it works. However, like in one of Vaughn's other dark comedies The Break-Up, there is too much bickering or whining between the characters that it is no longer funny but boring. If the bickering was brought down a bit and replaced with a bit more upbeat comedy, this probably would of fit both of the leading men well. It just doesn't quite get there. **

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:10 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Such a strange film. To call it disjointed would be an understatement. It has a compelling enough concept--a man discovers his best friend's wife is having an affair and struggles with how and when to tell his vulnerable pal the truth--but it goes in so many different directions with it, none very well. Despite starring Vince Vaughn and Kevin James, it's more successful as a drama. There are fleeting, but real moments of poignancy throughout, most involving the strong bond between Vaughn's character and his girlfriend, played by Jennifer Connelly, who stayed with him through a fierce battle with gambling addiction. As a comedy, The Dilemma is a failure. I laughed twice during its entire 110 minute running time. It's often painful to watch Vaughn, James, and co-star Queen Latifah (who absolutely should have been cut) try so damn hard to amuse and fall so flat. Random example of this film's many crimes against comedy: Latifah says she has "lady wood" over and over again, yet it's not even funny the first time. I'm sure visions of Annie Hall and Four Weddings and a Funeral--films which expertly blended romance, comedy, and drama--danced in Ron Howard's head, but he doesn't come close. (All Howard does well here is nicely photograph Chicago.) It's almost embarrassing, in fact, how far he falls short.

D

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:58 pm
Extraordinary

Gunslinger wrote:
As a comedy, The Dilemma is a failure. I laughed twice during its entire 110 minute running time.

:|

Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:09 am
now we know

Directed by Ron Howard, and starring Vince Vaughn, Kevin James, Queen Latifah, Channing Tatum, Winona Ryder and Jennifer Connelly, this is NOT your average Wedding Crashers-Dodgeball Vince Vaughn comedy, which is why it was so refreshing and brilliant.

Not only was it funny, but it was artistically so, and with great performances for a comedy. Channing Tatum was superb, James was actually funny (I laughed at his lines the most), Vaughn was same old (which is great, no need to deviate from greatness), Ryder acted convincingly and Latifah wasn't annoying.

It wasn't your average laughter-track, pun-intended comedy. It was actually a drama, with touches of humour, which is far from the message in its marketing. This mixed message is probably why it performed how it did. But I'd been wanting to see it for two years and I'm glad I finally have.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:26 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

You might like Tatum afterall.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:18 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Unlikely.

He's good in smaller roles like Zip or in 21 Jump Street when he's making an ass out of himself. But in movies like G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra or Fighting or Son of No One or The Eagle, he's a bad acting waste of space. So, like all other actors, he has his strengths (although very few) and weaknesses (very many).

I didn't even know he was in The Dilemma!

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]