Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Rabbit Hole 

What grade would you give this film?
A 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Rabbit Hole 
loyalfromlondon

Post Rabbit Hole
Rabbit Hole

Quote:
Rabbit Hole is a 2010 drama film starring Nicole Kidman, Aaron Eckhart, and Dianne Wiest, and directed by John Cameron Mitchell; the screenplay is an adaptation by David Lindsay-Abaire of his 2005 play of the same name. Kidman produced the project via her company, Blossom Films. The film premiered at the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival in September 2010. Lionsgate distributed the film. The plot deals with a couple struggling to heal after the untimely death of their young son. Nicole Kidman was critically acclaimed for her performance as Becca Corbett and received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress.

It received a limited US theatrical release on December 17, 2010 and expanded nationwide on January 14, 2011.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:09 am
Forum General

Post Re: Rabbit Hole
After an incredibly disappointing year of movies, I was finding it hard to find a movie to fully get behind and support. Sure, there were a handful of movies that I loved but nothing that I would get into a war discussion over explaining my love. Finally, I have found that movie. I can't imagine a better movie coming out this year, because quite frankly it's the best thing that has come out of Hollywood in at least five years. Yes, I know, that is quite the opinion but I am sticking to it. RABBIT HOLE is a masterpiece of epic proportions. First off, the acting. I will get to the obvious "______ ______ was so great!" in a second. I need to first give major props to newbie Miles Teller. What a fantastic, moving performance by a new actor. He gives an inspiring, gripping performance here and is sure to be one of the very best of the year. I hope he gets some awards recognition because he was fantastic in his role. Nicole Kidman finally has a comeback as an actress, giving the performance of her career. She was spellbinding as a mother who recently lost her child. A beautiful, heartbreaking, poignant performance. Bravo! Aaron Eckhart and Diane Wiest also give the performances of their careers and deserve awards recognition. And Sandra Oh is also wonderful. There honestly isn't a weak link in this cast. The script was fantastic. There is so much beneath the surface that really makes you think and dig deeper into the minds of these character, even after the film is over. Remarkable writing. There are so many fantastic scenes woven in this film, many of which have such intensity and emotion in them, that it's hard to fully grasp on one viewing. I know I'll be watching it again very, very soon. Don't miss RABBIT HOLE. I pray that it will at the very least be nominated for the rewards that it should.

10/10 (A+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:49 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

......................................................................................................The......................................................................................................
......................................................................................................me.......................................................................................................
......................................................................................................that......................................................................................................
......................................................................................................went.....................................................................................................
......................................................................................................down....................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................this......................................................................................................
.....................................................................................................Rabbit....................................................................................................
......................................................................................................Hole
......................................................................................................
.....................................................................................................today.....................................................................................................
.....................................................................................................didn't.....................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................dig......................................................................................................
........................................................................................................it........................................................................................................

I can certainly imagine other me's that would have fallen head over heels for it... and even I can't help but to love Nicole Kidman's performance here yet again - - she remains at the very height of the acting craft.

Heading in, I had certainly wished for more from the director of one of my top ten movies of the '00 decade: Hedwig and the Angry Inch - - John Cameron Mitchell. Sadly, this movie doesn't ascend to those dizzying heights. Still it explored some very enthralling edges of the grief process and even a lesser JCM movie is a blessing (entirely secular, I assure you).

4 out of 5.

Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:22 pm
Sbil

Weirdly never posted a review here (???), so I thought I would do so in light of La Kidman's well-deserved nomination:

Wrenching and powerful, with Nicole Kidman in a sublime performance right up there with the best work she's ever done. Aaron Eckhart and Dianne Wiest are also quite good. The film is uncompromising and shockingly low on melodrama. A-

Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:25 pm
Extraordinary

Agree with Libs. It reminds me of Revolutionary Road in terms of the setting, the acting, and the feel of watching a play instead. A very very good product, with Kidman giving probably her best performance. Love the score.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Profile WWW

xiayun wrote:
It reminds me of Revolutionary Road in terms of the setting, the acting, and the feel of watching a play instead.

Dammit, I really wanted to see this, now I might have to pass.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:24 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Absurd accusation. Rabbit Hole feels like a play. Revolutionary Road feels like a MAD Magazine movie parody.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:36 pm
Forum General

Rabbit Hole does feel a lot like a play, though I also said the same thing about Revolutionary Road.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Speed Racer

Best film of 2010. Nicole Kidman is excellent as is the rest of the cast. And John Cameron Mitchell does a terrific job while allowing others to shine instead of him. The writing is flawless, beautiful blend of dark humor and human drama. And I completely disagree, it did not feel like a play at all. That's why the writing and directing is so good. It didn't have those awkward moments where the characters are suddenly outside for no reason, *coughDoubtcough*. It all felt natural and very cinematic. It spoke a completely different language than theater. It didn't feel limited and restrained. And it also added a lot that wasn't in the play that was just brilliant, such as the Sandra Oh character. Rabbit Hole is a masterpiece. A+

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:41 am
Speed Racer

And comparing this to Revolutionary Road, a very mediocre film, is a travesty, IMO.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:43 am
Wallflower

Michael A wrote:
xiayun wrote:
It reminds me of Revolutionary Road in terms of the setting, the acting, and the feel of watching a play instead.

Dammit, I really wanted to see this, now I might have to pass.

That would be your loss. Never once did I think of REVOLUTIONARY ROAD while watching this.

Just watched it. What a beautiful film. Superb performances and direction. This is the most satisfying film John Cameron Mitchell has done yet. I wasn't that impressed by his previous efforts. Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart are just terrific here, and I also thought Miles Teller and Dianne Wiest gave great supporting performances. I wonder why there wasn't even a blip of awards buzz for Teller. And speaking of awards, it's a shame this isn't up for more than just Best Actress at the Oscars. It's one of the year's finest films and deserves to be seen by more people.

An "A" for now, possibly an "A+" when I see it again.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:00 am

Eckhart and Kidman both give very solid preformances, with Kidman's far more engrossing and less flawed. Eckhart is a very decent actor but when he occasionally transitioned to his yelling voice to convey anger it was far too similar to his harvey dent yell. He does quite well with more balanced scenes he just doesn't display extreme emotion very effectively. I'd say it was the inverse of the Blue Valentine performances in that I much preferred Kidman whereas there I slightly preferred Gosling. The film on the whole was very good. Cameron Mitchell's directing was excellent, never descending into an indie feel instead conveying extreme realism. The entire film was incredibly balanced, as were the emotions conveyed, it really was a great excercise in distilling a small slice of life. It's not really a substantial film, not revolutionary or very ambitious, but it was a strong excercise in the simplicity of a complex situation. A real treat.
Also, this had about as little to do with revolutionary road as any movie ever. I was not once reminded of that film in feel or style or substance at all.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:20 pm
Pure Phase

Loved it. It's recognizable fare--grief and confusion as experienced by the upper-middle-class--but made with skill and subtlety by John Cameron Mitchell. And the acting is simply masterful. Nicole Kidman, Aaron Eckhart, Dianne Wiest, Miles Teller, and Sandra Oh sell every emotion in every scene.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:53 pm
Wallflower

Glad you loved it :D.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:53 am
The Wall

8/10 -> B

Liked it. Didn't love it. It has a few great parts but overall it's just a very solid movie with a great small ensemble... Nicole was fabulous.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I enjoyed this much more than I was expecting. The histrionics, while over-the-top, service the story well.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]