Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

loyalfromlondon

Post The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Quote:
TThe Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a 2010 3D fantasy-adventure film based on The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, the third novel in C. S. Lewis's epic fantasy series The Chronicles of Narnia (and fifth chronologically). It is the third installment in The Chronicles of Narnia film series from Walden Media. Unlike the earlier two films, it was distributed by 20th Century Fox and the first to be released in Digital 3D.

The film is set three years after the events of Prince Caspian. The two youngest Pevensie siblings, Edmund (Skandar Keynes) and Lucy (Georgie Henley), are transported back to Narnia along with their cousin Eustace Scrubb (Will Poulter). They join the new king of Narnia, Caspian (Ben Barnes), in his quest to rescue seven lost lords and to save Narnia from a corrupting evil that resides on a dark island. Each character is tested as they journey to the home of the great lion Aslan at the far end of the world.

Development on The Voyage of the Dawn Treader began in 2007, while Prince Caspian was still in production. Filming was supposed to take place in Malta, Czech Republic and Iceland in 2008 with Michael Apted as its new director, for a planned release in 2009. But production was halted after a budgetary dispute between Walden Media and Walt Disney Pictures concerning Prince Caspian's performance, resulting in Disney's departing the production and being replaced by 20th Century Fox. Filming later took place in Australia and New Zealand in 2009 and was converted into 3D in 2010. It was released in traditional 2D, RealD 3D, and Digital 3D, and a limited release in 4D.

The film premiered on November 30, 2010, at a Royal Film Performance in London and was released worldwide on December 10, 2010 and was commercially successful but met with mixed reviews praising the performances and visual effects but criticizing the script and pace. The film received moderate success in North America with a gross of $104 million, which was lower than its predecessors. However, it fared better than Prince Caspian internationally with $311 million. The film is currently the 12th highest-grossing film of 2010 with over $415 million and received a nomination at the 68th Golden Globe Awards. It then became 20th Century Fox's highest-grossing film in 2010. Following its success, The Magician's Nephew has been confirmed to be the fourth entry to the series.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:39 am
Ocarina of Time

Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
it is not doing good with critics so far, right now it has a 57% score at RT:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/chronic ... n_treader/

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:47 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader ends up being the best Narnia to date so far. The switch from Disney to Fox looks to have worked out better creatively as with at times the first two Narnias seemed to hold back on the action (though Prince Caspian did have a couple out there moments), this adventure doesn't try to worry about fitting the charming Disney mold. The cast is strong but no one particularly stands out. The effects this time around are beautiful and 3D definitely enhances their beauty. The story to script transfer has some holes that could of been patched up as well as some jokes in the film becoming a bit too repetitive. In the end, however Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a positive direction for the franchise and hopefully The Silver Chair will be put into development next. ***

Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:54 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Best Narnia movie to date. While the 3D adds little, the movie itself was excellent. Pacing was great. Not one scene felt too long or boring. I felt as if I was transported to another place while I was watching the movie. The movie still keeps its fundamental themes from the book intact while adding some new elements into the story to keep non-readers entertained. The actors did a good job with the material. The action scenes were done very well and jerky camera moments were kept to a minimum.

The cinematography was pretty good and they did a good job, I think, with the post-conversion to 3D. I loved all of it (except the 3D -- could have done without it) and had no issues with the so-called "clunky dialogue". 10/10

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hkreleasedates

Blog: http://hkreleasedates.blogspot.com

Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:59 am
100% That Bitch

I think we saw a different movie guys, it is awful. It's cheesy, 3D was barely there, The dialogue... wow, the acring was pretty bad. I cannot believe how awful it was.

Second worst film of the year, just behind PA2
D-

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:09 pm
The Wall

Of course it can't be good. It doesn't have any Shittina tracks on the soundtrack.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Mau wrote:
I think we saw a different movie guys, it is awful. It's cheesy, 3D was barely there, The dialogue... wow, the acring was pretty bad. I cannot believe how awful it was.

Second worst film of the year, just behind PA2
D-

What if Godney did a song for the film? You would give it an A+

Also the 3D was very well there. It doesn't have to jump out at you but just enhances the picture, which is the more positive aspect of 3D.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

He doesn't really care about Godney. He's just trying to jump the Sinktina ship but no one's buying that shit.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

not that good

C+

2. Rebel Moon
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
10. Blue Beetle

Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:21 pm
100% That Bitch

Oh be.redy and jmovies, I know I'm too good for you, but could you please try to ignore me? I'm not getting into any fistfight with any of you, I don't really wanna do the same I did to both of you in The Inferno.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:38 am
ef star star kay

boooooooooooooooooooooooooring, C-

and for the record, I liked Prince Caspian..

Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:23 pm
Forum General

Prince Caspian was shit though...I hope this emulates the first which I like infinitely more than PC.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

BK wrote:
Prince Caspian was shit though...I hope this emulates the first which I like infinitely more than PC.

I preferred PC to the first, more action yo.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

JURiNG wrote:
boooooooooooooooooooooooooring, C-

and for the record, I liked Prince Caspian..

Quote:
I preferred PC to the first, more action yo.

me too, Prince Caspian was more enjoyable, I know a few people think that, but I found PC far better than the first Narnia

2. Rebel Moon
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
10. Blue Beetle

Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:30 am
Pure Phase

The third Narnia film, and the first with the great Michael Apted (7 Up! and its sequels, as well as The World Is Not Enough) serving as director, is the best yet. As "Dawn Treader" begins, war between the Allies and the Axis still rages. The older Pevensie siblings, Peter and Susan (William Moseley and Anna Popplewell, mere cameo players here), have escaped to America. Edmund (Skandar Keynes) and Lucy (Georgie Henley), however, remain in England, staying in the home of their unpleasant cousin, Eustace (Will Poulter). Before long, Edmund, Lucy, and Eustace have been transported to the land of Narnia, where they board the titular ship and reunite with the central character from the last film, Prince Caspian (Ben Barnes). Also on board is Reepicheep (the spirited voice of Simon Pegg), the heroic mouse. The group begin a perilous sea adventure to find seven lost lords, overcome a destructive evil force (represented by a mysterious mist), etc., etc.

Apted delivers a tight, solid film. Audiences did not embrace the overlong, rather dry Prince Caspian with as much warmth as The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; Apted, replacing director Andrew Adamson, course corrects. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader runs under two hours and emphasizes light fun. With the brilliant cinematographer Dante Spinotti (L.A. Confidential) and an ace FX team, he crafts a series of exciting, well-staged action sequences, including a fierce showdown with a sea serpent. Eustace, played to perfection by Son of Rambow's Poulter, is a fantastic introduction, hilarious and with a poignant character arc. And as Lucy, Henley continues to be a charming, warm presence. The other key characters, Edmund and Prince Caspian, are rather flat, though. A subplot involving tension between them comes and goes far too fast to leave any impact.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is far from a fantasy masterpiece, nor does it seem to aspire to such. What it is is a satisfying piece of holiday-season pop escapism from a good director. If this is to be the last Narnia film (tepid box office suggests it will be, and it's hard to imagine novels such as The Horse and His Boy and The Last Battle becoming big budget films anyway), it's as good a closing point as any. As the Pevensies close the door on their childhood and Narnia, Michael Apted closes the door on an enjoyable (if troubled) franchise in fine, professional fashion.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:37 pm
The Wall

7/10 -> B-
Enjoyable flick. Nothing great in it, but nothing really bad. As a fan of Narnia books I think this could've turned out much much better though.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:48 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

B

After a dull first film and an annoyingly xenophobic second, I actually liked this one. Started off a bit slow, meandered for a while, but once Eustace became a dragon, I thought it was good fun.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:50 pm
Forum General

Eh, the budget constraints really show. The magic that the first film holds has died here. It's not that it's that much worse than Prince Caspian as is the story has really gone into the shitter. I've never read the books save the first and last, and I only read the last after watching the second, so I don't have as much connection to the characters as say Harry Potter, but, honestly, I do question Lewis' storytelling abilities. He may write a good self-contained story but as an epic masterpiece, he fails.

There is no integration of characters, why would anyone care about (Wikipedia) Shasta and Digory? They have nothing at all to do with the original Pevensie children. At least Eustace was a development of. TLTWTW also had, so far, the best villain of the three movies, and possibly all of the books, which basically means, you can't go from epic to pathetic. The Last Battle is really a bit of a joke. The villain is an ape? After centuries of peace an ape can break the peace with a plan so ridiculous and unbelievable? The fight seems so minor involving so few it can hardly be an end to anything. At that, Wiki tells me that the returning Britons and the Pevensie parents, are all killed within the time of the battle in a train crash, so they were all together in the real world and died? What a brilliant cop out. Then again, critics call the series nothing but religious drivel masked as fantasy, so it's not a real surprise at how ordinary the stories became, hidden themes or not. I choose not to make the connections of Aslan as God and whatnot yet in hindsight it is a wonder how any of us thought that the Narnia septology would become any serious threat to the Potter and Rings franchises.

I have not read the Rings books but going by the movies, it is obviously an ascension as is Potter. Narnia just deflates like a tire running over nails. Disney were also smart to jump ship when they did as none of the stories come close to the first in scope, which is a major source failure. I'm surprised if any Narnia fans thought it was possible given the mediocrity that it becomes.

I'd give this a B/B- slightly entertaining, mostly forgettable.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:52 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I watched this movie for the first time with my Youth group back 5 years ago or so, and we all were underwhelmed. I didn't quite realize why until I wen back several months later and watched it on DVD. The story is just soooo generic in contrast to the first two films wonderful narrative inventiveness. It's a pretty run of the mill adventure that hits some fun beats, but they really are just trying to get from point a to b to c to d to e and so on. Still watchable, and its a must watch to complete the Narnia franchise, but it's a large step down from its predecessors.

C+

Edit: I rewatched this and it holds up decently. Better than any of the Hobbit movies. B.

Wed May 20, 2015 10:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]