Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Blue Valentine 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
B 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9

Blue Valentine 
loyalfromlondon

Post Blue Valentine
Blue Valentine

Quote:
Blue Valentine is a 2010 American romantic drama film written and directed by Derek Cianfrance that premiered in competition at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival. It is co-written by Joey Curtis and Cami Delavigne and stars Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. The film was scored by Brooklyn band Grizzly Bear. The film is also shot on shaky cam technique throughout, giving it a raw and realistic tone.

The film centers on a married couple, Dean and Cindy, and their relationship over a number of years by shifting between different time periods. Problems with the marriage center around Cindy's ambition, juxtaposed to Dean's contentment to center his life around his wife and child.

The script recently won the Chrysler Film Project, a competition that awards cash to an outstanding new feature film director, selected from over 550 submissions from across the country, overseen by Independent Feature Project, and evaluated by a panel of eminent film industry professionals.

The film was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival. It will be distributed by The Weinstein Company, and set for a limited release on December 31, 2010 in USA. The movie will be released earlier in Australia on December 26, 2010. On October 8, 2010 Blue Valentine was officially given an NC-17 rating, reportedly due to an emotionally intense sex scene. However, the Weinstein Company appealed the decision and is aiming for an R without any trims to the film since an NC-17 rating would significantly harm the film's potential box office take.

A trailer was released on the 8th of October, 2010.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:27 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Blue Valentine
Blue Valentine is one of the strongest and most unique romance films to be released lately. Now this film definitely is not all cheery though it does find some time for laughs. It is incredibly deep and saddening at its core but that just makes it all the more strong. Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams work fantastically together and both deserve the honor of Oscar nominations (and in Williams' case she could definitely put herself in the running for a win with a weaker field in the Best Actress category). Gosling is a chilling, lost character though can still have some connections to the everyday man. Williams at the same time is lost and stuck in a hopeless, tragic way. Both actors have hopes there to root for and that makes the film all the more troubling. The NC-17 current rating is bogus and the supposed scene from where it stems is a bit extreme but nothing to give the film the strictest rating in the book. This is a film that will most likely be looked back on for years to come and is definitely one of Gosling and Williams' defying roles. It will leave the viewer gripped through the end in what may be one of the saddest and hardest scenes to end a film on. Definitely in top of the year contention. ****

Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:46 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Glad you loved it. I want to see this soooooo bad. Seems amazing, and I'm a huge Michelle Williams fan. I hope she can score a nomination. Would also love to see it score a Best Picture nomination. None of this is likely to happen though with an NC-17 rating. Hopefully it can be repealed.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:10 am
Sbil

A hard film to watch but one of uncommon power. Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams are both absolutely devastating...talk about two fantastic lead performances that just complement each other in the most perfect way. Raw, powerful and emotionally honest at every turn, Derek Cianfrance has made quite the auspicious debut here. A

Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:18 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

As a movie, it's not that groundbreaking. But Gosling and Williams def bring their A game and make this movie. Oscar nominattions are of course in order. But Natalie has the flashier role so it's hers to lose.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:58 am
Pure Phase

Blue Valentine is an invesitgation of a relationship. It is sympathetic, wistful, but never too sentimental, and, for the most part, without artifice. Key to the film's success are the courageous and detailed performances delivered by Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. They star as Dean and Cindy, a couple we, the audience, follow from inception to, perhaps, demise. His character could be described as a ne'er-do-well. He is a wide-eyed high school dropout who is satisfied with any blue-collar job (mover, painter) as long as he can have a beer or two at 8 A.M. Her character is more ambitious, more driven. She wanted to become a doctor, but due to several circumstances (pregnancy, marriage), settled for being a nurse. She resents her husband's indifference to career and self-improvement, what she perceives as his wasted potential. The film, presented out of chronological order, shows us the sweet beginning of their love (including the first glance), as well as a 24-hour period years later, a day which tests their already-strained marriage.

Director Derek Cianfrance crafts Blue Valentine well, giving every shot a John Cassavetes-esque washed-out immediacy. The hand-held camera doesn't just observe, it explores and instigates. The original screenplay by Cianfrance, Joey Curtis, and Cami Delavigne is observant and not concerned with manufactured plot. The audience is just given moments, fleeting observations through a keyhole into the inner lives of the characters. A few elements--such as the ulterior motives of a doctor offering Cindy a job--don't ring true, but such missteps are few and far between. And Gosling and Williams, two of the most talented actors of their generation, never fail to grab hold of Cianfrance's dialogue and scenarios and make them sing.

I must admit, I was fascinated by this film for another, very personal reason: it reminded me of my parents. My father didn't finish high school, my mother is a college graduate. My father was an alcoholic, and I haven't seen him since I was five. Their relationship, the beginning I didn't witness and the sad, violent end I did, has always lived in my mind and imagination, and Blue Valentine brought it to life in a few respects. So, I felt for these characters even more because I saw my own familial experience in theirs.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:42 pm
Forum General

When I think about the year 2010 in film there are two movies that will instantly spring to my mind; BLUE VALENTINE and RABBIT HOLE. Two movies that didn't even make a dent at any kind of box office, but are truly the two masterpieces of 2010. The way this movie is made is so beautiful, you transition from past to present day with these two people and their relationship. Present day is truly heartbreaking and anyone who has been in a crumbling relationship will see themselves in either Michelle William's or Ryan Gosling's eyes. The past is where they first meet; they're in love. But these scenes are just as hard to watch because you already know the outcome of their love story. Michelle Williams gives the best female performance of 2010. She beats out Natalie Portman and not so easily Nicole Kidman, but she does it. She gives such a real, honest performance. There were at least two moments where just the look on her face made me tear up. Obviously she isn't winning the Oscar this year, which is a real shame but if she isn't even nominated, that's the real catastrophe. Her time will come, she is really becoming quite the actress. Ryan Gosling was fantastic as well, though he doesn't hold a candle to Williams' brilliant performance, though he still should be nominated for an Oscar. I've read that both of these characters are hard to like, and I didn't find that to be the case. You see that they're real people, they have flaws but neither of them are truly bad people. They are just trying to make their relationship work, when they really should have called it quits years ago. They fight. That doesn't make them bad people. Michelle's character especially, though I may be biased because there were many times I saw myself in her. Anyway, this is a brilliant movie and honestly a true romance masterpiece. They don't make them like this for a reason, they're hard to watch and not wishy washy, like most people like their romances. If you are ready for a movie that's hard to stomach, that is depressing and real, this is for you. If you're looking for THE NOTEBOOK, then you may as well just pop your DVD in because you'll probably end up disappointed

10/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Blue Valentine is the first Indie to perfect the Indie formula - - it all be Indie, all de way tru - - it's the Crank of the Indie genre.

...and even that mighta been okay... if only I could give a shit about those two uninteresting losers.

1 out of 5.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:22 am
Speed Racer

Blue Valentine is well written and directed. The performances are above average, with Michelle Williams being the clear standout for me. Ryan Gosling, though very solid, begins to let his acting tics too visible resulting in a predictable performance from him. The film is very "enjoyable" and it gets its point across with flying colors. The problem is that after a few days, Blue Valentine was completely out of my head. It became forgettable for some reason, and the little emotional connection I had during it was gone. Still, I see this as a very good movie, just not one I'll remember much in the years to come. B+

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:26 am

There's no doubting the sincerity of the film, and on the whole it is quite the engaging emotional affair. In retrospect something feels too neat and tidy about it. The flashbacks conception without introduction is quite effective but as the disparity between them and modern times becomes very explicit, It's too cut and dry. The past represents everything good about the relationship, the present everything bad. I like the way the film unfolded and the simplistic nature is quite pleasent to observe. The direction provides a perfect lamppost for the spotlight of both performers to shine well, and the emotional power given to the dramatic tension is gripping. The movie never has the overt seriousness that can easily plague these rough indie films, the edge of humor or at least vague lightheartedness is generally present, which of course only adds to the poignancy. Still, it seems somewhat insignificant as a product, just too easily wrapped up, the shadow of the flashback on the end was nearly cringeworthy visual symbolism.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:03 am
Pure Phase

I do wonder how this would play in chronological order, with a very stark "Five Years Later" cut in center of it.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:44 am
Wallflower

It's not perfect, but due to two terrific performances by Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams it ends up being a pretty powerful relationship drama. You really don't realize how much you've been put through the wringer until the movie ends and you're left feeling completely and utterly exhausted. It's emotionally draining. And I mean that in the best possible way. And what a great, ballsy way to end the film. Leaves you with something to talk about.

A-

Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:26 am
Pure Phase

They should've lost the Moulin Rouge! fireworks over the credits, though :P

Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:29 am
Wallflower

LOL! Yes. They just didn't gel well with the movie. On paper I'm sure they sounded cool though, and for a different movie they would have been.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:36 am
Pure Phase

Nah, they were a gaudy distraction from the stark power of the ending.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:40 pm
Wallflower

They didn't fit with the movie at all.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:24 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Eh, I didn't notice the fireworks much because I was in tears at the end

Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:45 pm
Profile WWW

Did the scene that caused the controversy ever get cut cause I thought it didn't but could someone jog my memory as to what it was. I really don't remember a graphic sex scene other than Williams with her ex-boyfriend. Was it when Gosling comes to her house and plays "their" song?

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:36 pm
Pure Phase

I read the MPAA took issue with the scene on the floor in the 'futuristic' hotel room. The MPAA supposedly felt Dean was raping Cindy, lol.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:01 pm

Gunslinger wrote:
I read the MPAA took issue with the scene on the floor in the 'futuristic' hotel room. The MPAA supposedly felt Dean was raping Cindy, lol.

WTF
:mad:

Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:49 pm
100% That Bitch

B+

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:02 pm

How do people feel about this film two years later? jmovies, do you still believe this defines the careers of Gosling and Williams?

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:28 pm
Forum General

I love it even more now, it would definitely be in my top ten of all time. It's a fucking amazing movie. It is also Williams' best performance to date.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:26 am
Profile YIM WWW
100% That Bitch

Ugh, it's sooo good but so depressing ):

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:36 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Yeah it's tough to watch but still a brilliant film, one of the best of the decade still.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next