Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Town 

What grade would you give this film?
A 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

The Town 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Town
The Town

Quote:
The Town is a 2010 action crime thriller film starring, co-written and directed by Ben Affleck that is based on Chuck Hogan's novel Prince of Thieves. The film opened in theaters in the United States on September 17, 2010 to rave reviews, with Rotten Tomatoes giving it a "Certified Fresh" rating with 94% positive critical reviews. In addition, the film opened at number one at the U.S. box office with more than $23 million.

The motion picture is one of a number of films set in Boston, Massachusetts over the past decade that have formed a "sub-genre" of crime movies, including Affleck's own Gone Baby Gone.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:06 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: The Town
Ben Affleck showed he had directing chops with 2007's magnificent Gone Baby Gone and this year's The town shows that GBG was no one time wonder for Affleck in the director's chair. The film communicates a strong connection between the horror of robbery in a town and those that run the business. Affleck does a superb job acting as does Rebecca Hall as Affleck's love interest and hostage from earlier in the film. The biggest asset to the film though is Jeremy Renner who ends up being a bit of a character to root for and not sympathize with or hate. It's his story that brings together the story's strong message. Jon Hamm and Titus Welliver are also good in their roles. The one role that doesn't work well is Blake Lively's as she is thrown in as just a connection between everyone but not given a notable backstory to really care enough for her. While it has strong dialogue, the film also achieves with thrilling and not over-the-top action pieces that bring messages in the film to a much brighter light. It is definitely on par with Gone Baby Gone and is one of the best films of the year. Hopefully Affleck or some actors in the film will get some recognition this time. ****

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:28 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Cool. :) I can't wait to see it.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:52 pm
Extraordinary

It's not as good as Gone Baby Gone, and it doesn't really earn its ending, but it's a good little heist thriller with some great direction by Affleck. The final heist and chase is as tense as anything I've seen this year.

B+

Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:42 pm
Extraordinary

Ben Affleck seems to be continuing to perfect his sweet little formula of overcooked melodrama and savage intensity with The Town on the heels of Gone, Baby Gone.

I'd say they're both about equally as good - - which means very, very good... but not great.

After Ben Affleck, who's performance was splendid, the surrounding acting verged on cartoonish, with Jeremy Renner playing the bad guy like a demented leprechaun from hell. Pete Postlethwaite rocking his usual schtick. And finally, Jon Hamm playing his FBI agent as an outright Looney Tunes character. (Admittedly, Rebecca Hall played a very charming romantic interest, at least until she didn't anymore.)

The showy writing, while it kept you guessing, kept flashing it's inner scaffolding and ultimately betrayed this viewer's suspension of disbelief.

Nonetheless... as the cowboy says: this whole creaky old wagon train 'o film, held together with nothing but bailin' twine and sheep spit, manages to cross the finish line with a darn right dash of respectability...

4 out of 5.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:03 am
You must have big rats

The Dark Shape wrote:
It's not as good as Gone Baby Gone, and it doesn't really earn its ending, but it's a good little heist thriller with some great direction by Affleck. The final heist and chase is as tense as anything I've seen this year.

B+

This sums up the film pretty well.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:24 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

So who do you all think did deliver the best performance in the film?

My vote goes to Jeremy Renner with Rebecca Hall being second.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Dr. Lecter wrote:

What you said.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Lecter, you should know better than to put an off-topic derail question like this in the review thread. Cinemania is the proper place for this.

Aren't you supposed to be some sort of mod or admin around here?

Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:04 pm
You must have big rats

The discussion pertains to the qualities of the film.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

So which do you all think did deliver the best heist setting in the film?

My vote goes to Fenway Park with the North End armored car robbery being second.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:16 pm
Extraordinary

So what do you all think did deliver the best soundtrack accompaniment in the film?

My vote goes to "Whatcha Say" with "99 Bottles" being second.

Extraordinary

So who do you all think did deliver the best minor performance in the film?

My vote goes to Brian Scannell as Henry with Jack Neary as Arnold Washton being second.

You must have big rats

Okay, crazy man.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Them be fighting words!

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:41 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I liked Gone Baby Gone better, but this was still pretty awesome.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:34 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Very good, but I agree with the consensus - Gone Baby Gone was much better and emotionally effective. Something was missing from this that I can't quite put my finger on, despite phenomenal performances from the entire ensemble. Still, definitely worth seeing. B+

Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:07 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Gone Baby Gone has superior plot, as the story here is quite straight forward, which the trailer pretty much all gave away. However, it is executed very well: the actions, the pacing, the performances (especially Jeremy Renner's). A good one.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

It's no Heat, to be sure, but it's decent - and certainly better than the heavy-handed moral posturing of Gone Baby Gone. But at no point did I sympathize with or root for Affleck's character, which is kinda the point of the film. Maybe it's my own problems with him as an actor (as well as my deep man-crush on Jon Hamm), but the central conceit of the movie falls apart by attempting to make Affleck into some sort of flawed hero. He just doesn't have the charisma or the acting chops. Blame the director.

Renner was terrific, though.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:58 pm
Wallflower

THE TOWN - 8/10 (A-)

Not as great as GONE BABY GONE, IMO, and something about it feels a tad "off," but overall I still thought it was great. I loved Rebecca Hall in it. She's such a charmer. Renner was also great, which is to be expected.

I will say that after seeing it the extremely high Rotten Tomatoes rating is a bit surprising. I mean, I could see 74%-80%, but a whopping 94% currently? This is a very good film that I liked a lot, but it's not THAT good.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:08 am
Devil's Advocate

It's literally exactly what I expected. Certainly 'good', above average. But I felt like I knew the whole plot from the start. And Affleck is a way better director than actor. He's stone face here, like the Angel to Rebecca Hall's Buffy. And I don't mean that in a good way.

Affleck escapes the last two robberies a bit too miraculously. Not a big deal cause those were great scenes, but yea...

I feel like there's a great movie hidden in here, as it stands it's merely good and likely will be a forgettable also-ran in a few years

Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:58 am
The Wall

9/10 -> A-

It's not even trying to put out something original to the story, but I wasn't bothered by it. The acting, direction, editing - it's all top notch and the movie is compelling from start to finish.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:13 am
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

I wasn't really impressed. But I didn't hate it though.

B-

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:52 pm
Forum General

Has anyone watched the extended cut? I just blind bought it today and wasn't sure which version to watch.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Where will you be?

Too serious to be an action ramp, and too fucking ridiculous to be a Serious Drama. The Town walks a well-trodden path, and still can't find its way out of the woods. Simple concepts like character development and bare bones believability are thrown out the window. I recently said I love camp, but The Town doesn't seem to realize how fundamentally silly it is.

Who the hell really thinks that organized crime in Boston is concentrated in one boutique?

How could these doofuses possibly think they could get away with these simultaneous bank robberies... When they're being interrogated by the feds, no less! And how could anyone know when two of these guys primary character traits are 'bald' and 'fat & bald.'

Sure, the action scenes were competent on a technical level... But overall this was a big step down from Gone Baby Gone.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next