Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Poughkeepsie Tapes 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

The Poughkeepsie Tapes 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Poughkeepsie Tapes
The Poughkeepsie Tapes

Quote:
The Poughkeepsie Tapes is a mockumentary horror film directed by John Erick Dowdle and stars Bobbi Sue Luther, Samantha Robson and Ivar Brogger.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:15 am
Forum General

Post Re: The Poughkeepsie Tapes
I am honestly not sure what to rate this movie because it wasn't an enjoyable experience to endure at all. I did find the movie very fascinating, despite being completely fictional. The killer depicted in this film is one of the most horrific things to ever be put on the screen and the way he went around misleading law enforcement was just fascinating. It really made you think. I've heard this compared to PARANORMAL ACTIVITY, which admittedly scared the shit out of me. So naturally, I was a bit hesitant to watch this because this is one of those movies that ends up scaring me shitless. This was a movie that showed you, quite graphically, that you can't trust strangers. I'm one of those people that just talks to everyone and is just a naturally friendly person. So... this just terrified me. You never know who you're really talking to if you talk to someone on the street that you don't know. It's just a mean dirty world and you have to have enough common sense to stay alive in it, I suppose. The acts depicted were just frightening and at times so hard to watch, I had to pause it for a few minutes and do something else because it was completely overwhelming to watch.

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY wasn't disturbing, it was just frightening. This is unlike anything seen in PARANORMAL. This is mean, it's gritty and it's scary as all hell, but in a completely different way. I do think this movie deserves to be released. There is an audience out there for it. I'm just afraid that the wrong people will see it and get something out of it that they shouldn't be. I'm also afraid people will not realize until they walk into the theater how absolutely horrifying it is. I recommend it but proceed with caution. It's not an easy film to sit through at all.

8/10 (B+)

Watching this movie reminded me of something that happened in my town about seven years ago. This older man would kidnap runaways girls (usually prostitutes) and he would put him in his dungeon and rape them every day. Eventually, all of the girls were released. The only thing was, when they were brought home (or wherever he dropped them off), they were blind folded, so they had no idea where they were. So when they reported it to the police, they just thought it was a hoax. Last night at work I was talking to a cop about it and he was telling me how he has no doubt in his mind that he has killed people and the police just haven't found him and he also thinks there were more victims that just didn't come forward. This guy was doing this for 20 years before he got caught. Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jamelske

It's just so creepy to remember this happening. Almost everyone in town knew this guy and he was a nice enough guy and you would never think something like this would happen in your little town. One of my friends even lived across the street from him. It's just so scary you have no idea what is happening in your own backyard.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:20 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

Has nobody else here seen this?

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

Well, it hasn't been released yet officially...

Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:48 am
Profile WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

I did. Last month. I mentioned it in the 'how many movies have you seen at homein 2010' thread.

It's disturbing in the sense that the actions could happen anywhere and how the police is fooled. Don't want to spoil anything here.
But I wouldn't call it frightening or scary, but certainly worthwhile.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:30 am
Forum General

Dr. Lecter wrote:

No but it has been available online for over a year. ;)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

movies35 wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

No but it has been available online for over a year. ;)

Well not everyone steals movies :P. I do occasionally, just haven't done this one yet ;). I'll wait until it's officially released someday.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:54 pm
New Server, Same X

Watched this yesterday. Once I figured out it was prepared like a documentary, I was prepared to hate it. But despite a next-to-nothing budget, it's well-made as a mockumentary. And it's so fucking jarring.

A rare film that I enjoyed and really have no desire to re-visit. It has its share of flaws and it's not for everyone, which easily explains why it was never formally released.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]