Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 The Sorcerer's Apprentice 

What grade would you give this film?
A 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

loyalfromlondon

Post The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Quote:
The Sorcerer's Apprentice is a 2010 fantasy adventure film produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, directed by Jon Turteltaub, and distributed by Walt Disney Pictures, the team behind the National Treasure franchise. The film is named after the The Sorcerer's Apprentice segment in Disney's Fantasia (with one scene being an extensive reference to it), which in turn is based on the late 1890s symphonic poem by Paul Dukas and the 1797 Johann Wolfgang von Goethe ballad.

Balthazar Blake (Nicolas Cage) is a sorcerer in modern-day Manhattan, fighting against the forces of evil, in particular his arch-nemesis, Maxim Horvath (Alfred Molina), while searching for the person who will inherit Merlin's powers. This turns out to be Dave Stutler (Jay Baruchel), a physics student, whom Balthazar takes as a reluctant protégé. The sorcerer gives his unwilling apprentice a crash course in the art and science of magic and sorcery, in order to stop Horvath and Morgana le Fay (Alice Krige) from raising the souls of the evil dead sorcerers ("Morganians") and destroying the world.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:49 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Fantastic.

What a summer movie! The Sorcerer's Apprentice combines b-movie charm with a solid, solid screenplay which provides a foundation for all the melodrama, humor, and yes, even horror in a beautifully produced cinematic oasis amidst the vast arid desert of quality know as 2010. Seriously, the screenwriters obviously "get it" - - they know that there's still a way to conjure up a crackin' good story out of the cultural archetypes of the past. They lay the exposition on thick, right out of the gate, and the viewer is immersed in the millennial old tale careening to it's spectacular conclusion on the big screen in front of us. Then all the acting was top notch - - this is my fourth Jay Baruchel film so far this year, except for the disappointment that was HTTYD, all were great films. Nicholas Cage was perfect here, what with his trademark super dry campy seriousness. Alfred Molina made a truly threatening bad guy, though with an excellent flare of comic undercurrent. And Teresa Palmer as "Becky" played the most perfectly ultra-romantic love interest - - I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more of her!

If only all Hollywood products could all be this cool! The Sorcerer's Apprentice had exactly the vibe that the recent version of Sherlock Holmes needed to save it from being the unfocused drag it turned out to be. One can clearly see that producer Jerry Bruckheimer brings the best of his talents from decades of experience to bear in balancing all the elements to create this fine film. This is a movie so finely crafted, that I imagine that it would be just as entertaining to a theatre audience in 1936, 1953, 1968, 1981, 1997, 2010, and for the whole stream of years into the future. It's that timeless.

It's funny... it's romantic... it's way, way melodramatic... it's authentically frightening at times... it's a non-stop unequivocal blast!

The Sorcerer's Apprentice is the real deal: a well told tale - - a new classic is born.

18 out of 5.

{Don't forget not to miss the super secret after-credits scene. Look out sequel, here we come!}

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:07 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Fantastic.

What a summer movie! The Sorcerer's Apprentice combines b-movie charm with a solid, solid screenplay which provides a foundation for all the melodrama, humor, and yes, even horror in a beautifully produced cinematic oasis amidst the vast arid desert of quality know as 2010. Seriously, the screenwriters obviously "get it" - - they know that there's still a way to conjure up a crackin' good story out of the cultural archetypes of the past. They lay the exposition on thick, right out of the gate, and the viewer is immersed in the millennial old tale careening to it's spectacular conclusion on the big screen in front of us. Then all the acting was top notch - - this is my fourth Jay Baruchel film so far this year, except for the disappointment that was HTTYD, all were great films. Nicholas Cage was perfect here, what with his trademark super dry campy seriousness. Alfred Molina made a truly threatening bad guy, though with an excellent flare of comic undercurrent. And Teresa Palmer as "Becky" played the most perfectly ultra-romantic love interest - - I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more of her!

If only all Hollywood products could all be this cool! The Sorcerer's Apprentice had exactly the vibe that the recent version of Sherlock Holmes needed to save it from being the unfocused drag it turned out to be. One can clearly see that producer Jerry Bruckheimer brings the best of his talents from decades of experience to bear in balancing all the elements to create this fine film. This is a movie so finely crafted, that I imagine that it would be just as entertaining to a theatre audience in 1936, 1953, 1968, 1981, 1997, 2010, and for the whole stream of years into the future. It's that timeless.

It's funny... it's romantic... it's way, way melodramatic... it's authentically frightening at times... it's a non-stop unequivocal blast!

The Sorcerer's Apprentice is the real deal: a well told tale - - a new classic is born.

18 out of 5.

{Don't forget not to miss the super secret after-credits scene. Look out sequel, here we come!}

And this is going up directly against INCEPTION this weekend??? That's a pretty good review considering how other sites have slammed this.. Any chance this could be thre stunning upset winner this weekend given it is from Disney???

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:43 am
Profile WWW

It was pretty bad, not awful, but bland and dull and cliche. I like Burchel, he's charming in his Michael Cera esque awkward roles. Cage was... Cage. The girl was pretty bad but treated as utterly disposable so it didn't matter. There are some flashy effects and a sense of humor but the whole thing felt remarkably disposable, and I have forgotten quite a bit in only two days.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:26 pm
You are waiting for a train

Tony Stark wrote:
And this is going up directly against INCEPTION this weekend??? That's a pretty good review considering how other sites have slammed this.. Any chance this could be thre stunning upset winner this weekend given it is from Disney???

Given this opened to 3.9 million on Wednesday, it's not particularly likely.

I disliked SOOML but liked Dragon, yet I cannot stand Baruchel. I might check this out on DVD though.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:00 pm

Goception wrote:
Tony Stark wrote:

Given this opened to 3.9 million on Wednesday, it's not particularly likely.

I disliked SOOML but liked Dragon, yet I cannot stand Baruchel. I might check this out on DVD though.

If you can't stand him I wouldn't bother with the movie. He is very prominent and his nasal and awkward humor are more present than ever. To me that's the best thing about the movie, so you would probably hate it.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:45 am
Pure Phase

I might see this tonight. I hope Nic Cage as a sorcerer is as fun as I expect. ;)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:10 pm
Extraordinary

Oldtimers might remember baumer from BOM from before the great migration to WOKJ, and he's actually a member here too, though he rarely posts. Since there haven't been many reviews posted in this thread yet, I thought I'd post a copy of his review from over at the BOM forums...

baumer1 wrote:
TSA is a lot of fun. It is much better than I thought it would be. Cage is very charismatic in this and the writing is brilliant. There are two scenes that had me and much of the audience old enough to get it, dying of laughter. This is an incredibly fun film and it feels like a gigantic summer film. It's too bad no one wants to see this because it is a lot of fun.

8.5/10

Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:55 am
Hatchling

Hey guys! I am here on behalf of Disney and was excited to read all your reviews. I'm interested to hear what you all thought about certain parts of the film. As a family friendly film, what parts did you think stood out the most? Also, what did you think about the reference to the original Fantasia's Sorcerer's Apprentice?

Once again, it was great to read all of you comments. We are excited to hear what you all think!

Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:02 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

The Sorcerer's Apprentice is an incredibly fun and entertaining fantasy entry that works great in its present day setting. After a bit of a misfire with Prince of Persia, this new Bruckheimer entry has a compelling, even if it can be a bit typical at times, and great visual effects and action that don't overtake the story. Nicolas Cage is enjoyable as Balthazar but Jay Baruchel gives another great performance here. With this and She's Out of My League, Baruchel shows he can do well in a film but audiences don't seem to be giving him the day. Alfred Molina and Teresa Palmer are good as well. The film spends a good amount of time building up its story and doesn't live one confused of why something is happening the way it is. Also, when fantasies throw in the romance angle, the film can lose its touch but the one between Baruchel and Palmer works because it takes a back seat throughout most of the runtime but still has some importance. The Sorcerer's Apprentice is a great surprise and it looked like it could of turned into a potential franchise. With how many people are seeing it though, it won't happen. ***

Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:50 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

WaltDisney wrote:
Hey guys! I am here on behalf of Disney and was excited to read all your reviews. I'm interested to hear what you all thought about certain parts of the film. As a family friendly film, what parts did you think stood out the most? Also, what did you think about the reference to the original Fantasia's Sorcerer's Apprentice?

Once again, it was great to read all of you comments. We are excited to hear what you all think!

I'll bite.

Nicholas Cage was definitely good in his role which he can sometimes be hit-and-miss, definitely better than National Treasure.
Jay Baruchel is finally showing some potential after disappointing in Dragon & Out of My League.
Teresa Palmer was a nice surprise fitting the little she had to do perfectly.
Alfred Molina was a great villain and quite enjoyable between the mix of comedy and villainy.

As for the film parts, the special effects were fantastic for a film that might have suffered, certainly outdid other fantasy flicks like Percy Jackson. The electricity scene, Fantasia homage, and most/all of the scenes that featured Molina/Cage were great especially the car chase and bathroom. (Also, you should have gotten OneRepublic to do a feature song like the 90s Disney animated films rather than using Secrets.)

The only slight problems are the overly cheesy beginning with narration (it didn't work with Prince of Persia either) and the end where Baruchel gets immensely strong over such a short time.

Hope that helps. I'd say it was really good summer fun and a sequel would be welcomed though unlikely seeing how it's not being embraced as much as it deserves to be.

This is off-topic but I also do suggest you change your trailer for Rapunzel (or Tangled) because that's not working at all. The text is kind of lame and Rapunzel acts too much like a bimbo when her only line is 'Best...day...ever'.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I thought it was entertaining, with reservations. First, it does not earn its near 120 minute length. Second, the constant, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen-lite bombardment of the viewer with new sights and sounds becomes almost exhausting. I wanted the film to relax for a second. The last 25 minutes are, to be honest, numbing. The best action set pieces--a dragon rampaging through Chinatown (splendid!), a shape-shifting car chase--are past and the final, too-long parade of "plasma bolt" conjuring and pitching just can't compare.

But Nicolas Cage and Jay Baruchel prove to be a captivating duo, Alfred Molina's light villainous turn is hilarious, and the gorgeous Teresa Palmer is charming, breathing life into a bland love interest role. Monica Bellucci, however, almost fails to register in a minor role (don't let the fact her character has her own poster fool you).

And the action is strong. The aforementioned dragon-in-Chinatown segment has to be one of 2010's best, most colorful, and most creative action sequences. I'm sure this movie will be an absolute blast for children, and it could generate a cult following of adults, too.

B-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:09 pm
Cream of the Crop

My friend and I loved it! B+ from me. You shoulda seen us squealing when we realized the homage to the cartoon was about to begin. (And there were only two other people in the theater besides us, so we weren't disturbing anyone)

Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

4/10 -> D

There's nothing new in this movie. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing per se, but here it really is bad. Cage is terribly miscast and the rest of the cast isn't any better. The plot is laughable and not captivating at all. There was one good joke in the whole movie (the SW nod), but everything else was barely watchable.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:39 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Boo.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:52 am
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

maybe because low expectation

but I had fun, my little brother really enjoyed it

B

Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:16 pm
Ocarina of Time

I found Prince Of Persia a little better, but overall those films weren´t that bad, popcorn and acceptable movies for the summer season

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:28 pm
You must have big rats

Even though I shouldn't have expected much from The Sorcerer's Apprentice, I still ended up being slightly disappointed. The marketing for this looked really fun. I think National Treasure is a fine film and I usually enjoy Cage a lot, even in his bad movies. Jay Baruchel has shown in talent in several films before and this one also has Monica Bellucci (in a sadly minimal role). Moreover, I like Jerry Bruckheimer (usually) and this looked just like the kind of fun flick he'd produce.

But just like with his desert adventure Prince of Persia, I left the theatre underwhelmed. Was it a bad film? No, it wasn't. Was it fun at times? Indeed, it was. But did it waste a lot of its potential? You bet! I like adventure stories. I like fairy tales put on film...this seemed to have all the right ingredients...only to drown the viewers in endless CHI effects towards the end of the film. I really enjoyed the first half (though the dialogues were sometimes really cringeworthy), but after that it started to go downhill culminating in one of the least exciting action climaxes I have seen in quite some time. It was just some computer effects versus some other random computer effects and not in the least a sight to behold.

I know, there probably never has been a chance for this to turn out really good. But at least an entertaining fantasy romp wasn't too much to ask. In its best moments it delivers just that and Cage is, as usual, very fun to watch. But all the parts of the film just don't work well together...and have I already mentioned the CGI overflow?!

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

6/10 (B-)

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:25 am
loyalfromlondon

Terribly generic.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)