Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Repo Men 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Repo Men 
loyalfromlondon

Post Repo Men
Repo Men

Quote:
Repo Men is a 2010 American-Canadian science fiction action-thriller film directed by Miguel Sapochnik, and starring Jude Law and Forest Whitaker. It is based on the novel Repossession Mambo by Eric Garcia.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:11 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Repo Men
Repo Men recipe: a dash of Children of Men, a measure of Minority Report, plus a trace of Saw to taste. Serve with a side of a David Cronenberg.

This is an unconventional film. Yes, there are the expected sequences (gunmen chasing and then fighting Jude Law), but then there is the scene where Law's artificial-organ repo man helps a musician finish mixing a song. Before he removes his heart!

The film has a taste for the absurd and a coroner's fascination with the various ways flesh can be sliced and organs removed. It's quirky and morbid. When it chooses to be exciting, it is (wait for the hallway duel between a hammer-, knife-, and saw-wielding Law and a small army of henchmen). When it chooses to indulge in gore-drenched gallows humor, it is often hilarious. And the twist ending is destined to intrigue as many as it enrages.

No, the disparate elements may not coalesce 100%. And there are those who will regard this as a mean-spirited acid trip through every contemporary science fiction action cliché, and I am not sure they are wrong. What can I say, though? I had a great time.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:22 am
loyalfromlondon

I also really dug it. It mixes Blade Runner and Children of Men in the look of its futuristic environment, and the ending is straight out of Brazil, but I thought it worked well as a pastiche of the three. Probably due to the warped, downright nasty sense of humour that evokes Robocop and Demolition Man.

It gets boring in the middle, and Law isn't really right for the part, but I still liked it a lot.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:06 am
Forum General

The ending is actually messed up since before Law gets hit in the head the girl already shoots Whitaker.

Also, the movie suffers because Whitaker acts like a complete ass right before he basically ends Law's life. When I say suffers I really mean makes you not like it.

I gave it a B.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:16 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

REPO MEN (2010)

Found it solid and really dug the violent finale, but the ending was a letdown.

7/10 ( B )

Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:05 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

1.7/10

Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:33 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Set against the backdrop of a city where you can have any organ replaced but also repossessed is the premise of Repo Men, a film that is all over the place and not for good reasons. Jude Law leads as Remy, one of the Repo Men for "The Union" and during one repo experiences a knockout before repossessing a man's artificial heart. Now he is on the run three months later after inheriting an artificial heart and being unable to pay. On his run he meets Beth (Alice Barga) who is filled head to toe with artificial organs and has not paid a penny in over a year. The film's thrills try to become apparent throughout but end up either being too quick to grasp or a bit exasperating and trying. The acting is very subpar with these two along with Forest Whitaker and Liev Schreiber. The film also throws in the entirely overused wife wanting husband to leave the house because of something he said he wasn't going to do. This causes the film to fall more than it already has. The film begins to redeem itself within the last 20 minutes but its the film's last couple of minutes that stays in line with the horrible presentation of the film as a whole. While its a unique plot at the start, in the end its a horrible and somehow stays cliche at times film. *

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Johnny Dollar wrote:
1.7/10

after deep reconsideration, i have decided to change my grade to 1.8/10

Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]