Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 The Game 

What grade would you give this film?
A 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

The Game 
College Boy Z

Post The Game
The Game

Quote:
The Game is a 1997 neo-noir psychological thriller film directed by David Fincher, starring Michael Douglas, featuring Sean Penn, and produced by Polygram. It tells the story of an investment banker who is given a mysterious gift: participation in a game that integrates in strange ways with his life. As the lines between the banker's real life and the game become more uncertain, there are hints of a large conspiracy.

The project began at MGM but was soon put into turnaround where it was eventually picked up by Propaganda Films. Director Jonathan Mostow was originally scheduled to direct the film with Kyle MacLachlan and Bridget Fonda cast in the lead roles. However, in early 1992, the project was moved to PolyGram Filmed Entertainment and Mostow was no longer attached to direct. Producer Steve Golin gave the screenplay to Fincher who agreed to direct. The director planned to make The Game before Seven but when Brad Pitt became available he did that film instead. The success of Seven gave the producers of The Game an opportunity to acquire a larger budget.

The Game was well received by critics like Roger Ebert and major periodicals like The New York Times, though Leonard Maltin found the film "unusually mean-spirited" and lacking a sense of humor. The Game had middling box-office returns compared to the success of Fincher's previous film, Seven. It was ranked #44 on Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments.

Last edited by zingy on Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:12 pm
Veteran

Not one of Fincher's best. It's an interesting idea, but that ending is just way too unbelievable. Too many things could have gone wrong in the game. My grade: C+.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

A good example of a thriller that worked great up until the end. Sean Penn, in a supporting role. was more enjoyable in this movie than in any other I can recall seeing him in.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:06 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Yeah, the ending was extremely unrealistic but for some reason worked far better then it should have cinematically. Very solid otherwise. B+

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:12 am
You must have big rats

This movie is not a prime example of why David Fincher is one of the best director's alive since it's not nearly one of his best and yet it displays most of the director's strengths of which the most important ones are the incredibly superb cinematography (typical of all of his movies) and an amazingly shocking/surprising twist ending as well as the generally dark and gloomy atmophere paired with some twisted characters as well as a good character study and slight society criticism. All Fincher marks are there combined with an interesting and somewhat unique screenplay.

Michael Douglas shines, but Sean Penn is underused unfortunately. The ending while shocking at first oozes implausibility when you think about it afterwards. There are too many coincidences in this movie. Way too many to be considered realistic. This is why this movie works the best the first time you see it, unlike other Fincher films like Fight Club and Se7en which despite a twist ending improve on each viewing.

The Game is not as "deep" as the two I mentioned above, but it's so much entertainment, it's incredible and thankfully it manages to remain quite clever most of the time. I wasn't too impressed by Deborah Unger, but I guess she did a decent job. Fincher, so far, has made two masterpieces (Se7en and Fight Club), two really good movies (The Game and Panic Room) and one piece of crap (Alien³). I am very excited about the upcoming Zodiac.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
htm

Michael Douglas leads a superb cast in this top-notch, original thriller. David Fincher's talent shines, and the picture almost reaches perfection... if only for the somewhat implausible screenplay. This thriller still remains top-notch entertainment and required viewing for anyone impressed with Fincher's other work, or even the noir genre. Dark, upsetting, and twisting, The Game is a quality picture I would fully endorse.

Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:59 am
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: The Game
It works really, really well if you don't try to apply too much logic or thought to what happens. The series of coincidences are just too much to put down to fate. It doesn't get too bad, though, until the very end, but it makes for a satisfying ending. Stylishly directed, of course, it's very suspenseful and thrilling and Michael Douglas really drives the film. Sean Penn was unfortunately wasted - only three scenes, I think. A thriller put over the top by its direction.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:34 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Even though the ending may not be the best, I appreciated it in the end. A strong, satisfying thriller.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I want to watch this again. When I watched years ago, I disliked it, but perhaps now I can appreciate it more. We'll see.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Probably the most underrated thriller of the 90s. This movie not only looks and sounds amazing, it is just one mindfuck of a film. Like Fincher's followup Fight Club, it's really something you've never seen before. Like Seven and Fight Club, the main plot points of the film are extremely unrealistic, but that's what Fincher is great at. He takes these absolute fantastical situations, and finds a way to make them not only relevant to their audience, but it in turns finds a way to ground even the most absurd in the "Maybe that could happen" category. The intentional dark and gritty realism that is attached can only be rivaled by Kubrick in his prime.

Douglas is absolutely superb, as is the rest of the cast. The cinematography and score also makes you completely immersed in the film. A definite must see not only for Fincher fans, but for movie fans in general.

A+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun May 12, 2013 2:30 am
Pure Phase

Douglas is the right actor for the role, and it has fantastic atmosphere and set pieces, but the "cute" house-of-cards quality undermines its value a bit. It is harder to invest upon repeat viewing knowing it will end with everyone having a laugh in a ballroom.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun May 19, 2013 5:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]