Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Valentine's Day 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Valentine's Day 
Extraordinary

Post Valentine's Day
Valentine's Day

Quote:
Valentine's Day is a 2010 American romantic comedy film directed by Garry Marshall. The screenplay was written by Katherine Fugate from a story by Fugate, Abby Kohn and Marc Silverstein. The film features one of the largest ensemble casts in Hollywood history, starring Julia Roberts, Bradley Cooper, Ashton Kutcher, Jessica Alba, Patrick Dempsey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Biel, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Garner, George Lopez, Hector Elizondo, Nigel Quashie, Emma Roberts, Taylor Swift, Taylor Lautner, Eric Dane, Queen Latifah, Shirley MacLaine and Topher Grace.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:15 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Valentine's Day
Emma Roberts has a strangely prominent place on the poster.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:22 am
Sbil

If Garry Marshall and the filmmakers of Valentine's Day aspired to make the next modern-day romcom classic with an ensemble cast like Love Actually, they have not succeeded. However, the film is rather enjoyable for what it is: a disposable comedy with a lot of likable characters and cute moments. As expected with this type of film, some of the storylines/characters are more interesting than others, but I found that there was plenty to enjoy. Ashton Kutcher and Jennifer Garner have the most screen time in the film, and both actors use their likability to good effect (Patrick Dempsey and Jessica Alba also play roles in this storyline but have little to do). Other actors in the enormous ensemble cast are also appealing, including Julia Roberts/Bradley Cooper (showing some understated charm in their few scenes), Jessica Biel (more comic timing than one might expect), Shirley MacLaine/Hector Elizondo (with the quiet dignity that only older actors can seem to bring), and Anne Hathaway/Topher Grace (a sweet-natured phone sex operator and her boyfriend). On the other hand, the Taylors Lautner and Swift are unspeakably bad in their thankfully brief screen time, particularly Swift in her film debut. Valentine's Day is no masterpiece and you'll forget it pretty quickly...but it represents a cute and worthwhile diversion. B

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:12 am
ef star star kay

Valentine's Day the movie = Valentine's Day the day

1. wasted
2. pointless
3. comes tomorrow, you won't remember a thing about it (nothing worth to remember is more like)

Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:32 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Libs - I agree with your review. Though Swift seemed to get the most deliberate audience laughs for her scenes.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:41 am
---------

A lot better than He's Just Not That Into You for sure. Mainly because of the more interesting and likable characters. Ashton Kutcher and Anne Hatheway in particular shined the brightest. I was glad Taylor wasn't a huge part of the movie, she's no actress, but she was tolerable and cute. It was nice to see Julia Roberts back in this type of movie again.

B

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:09 am
Wallflower

VALENTINE'S DAY - 7/10 ( B )

I thought it was really cute. Definitely better than I was expecting. I guess the bad reviews had prepared me for something much worse.

Thu May 20, 2010 12:53 am
We had our time together

Just a big piece of shit.

Thu May 20, 2010 3:58 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Valentine's Day is a hit and miss romantic comedy and without a few of the stories, it probably would of been pretty solid. The film's good stories lie in those of Julia Roberts, Ashton Kutcher and Jennifer Garner. Their stories are believable enough and are such thanks to the actors at least making the stories enjoyable. Then you get to the other half though with stories such as Jessica Biel's and Taylor Swift's (who gives such a horrid performance), that feel pushed into the film to say there are more stars in it and aren't entertaining. They at times bring down the joy of the stories that are actually good. The film isn't better than similar films like New York, I Love You but in the end it is watchable. **

Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Eminently forgettable.

2 out of 5.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:48 am
Forum General

Emma Roberts was the best. The rest were rehashed performances from better or worse rom-coms.
Jamie Foxx in particular was uninspired and some of the storylines were ridiculous like Latifah's and the two Taylors.

Swift was unimaginably bad though. Fucking awful.

D+

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:06 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

3/10 -> D-

Pointless movie. Even for the low standards set by romantic comedy genre that seems to sink lower every year.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

B

I suppose I am in a real minority here, but I enjoyed this more than most standard romantic comedies nowadays. It is of course nowhere close its role model, Love Actually, but still managed to elicit some smiles from me.

Not all of the stories and characters worked. Jessica Alba is wasted here and continues to prove that she possesses little acting talent. Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner...well, let me just say nothing about those two. It also suffers from just way too many storylines. Also, does this film really try to convince the audiences that Jessica Biel can't get a date on Valentine's Day? This is not science-fiction, Mr. Marshall.

However, some work pretty well, even though they are limited in their running time. In particular, I liked the plotline of Shirley MacLaine and Hector Elizondo who deliver some of the best acting in this piece. Anne Hathaway as a sex phone worker is as charming as ever and has some nice chemistry with Ashton Kutcher. Emma Roberts is solid as well.

The film is fluff, the very definition of fluff. And it is obviously based on this high concept idea of putting as many romcom stars as possible into one film. But once the viewers can look past that, they might find themselves with a rather enjoyable piece of light entertainment.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:57 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

B

Good movie. I really liked the whole Bradley Cooper/Julia Roberts storyline.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:52 pm
loyalfromlondon

Never have so many famous people fallen flat on their face at once.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]