Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 The Road 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

The Road 

Post The Road
The Road

Quote:
The Road is a 2009 post-apocalyptic drama film directed by John Hillcoat and written by Joe Penhall. Based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning 2006 novel of the same name by American author Cormac McCarthy, the film stars Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee as a father and his son in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Filming took place in Pennsylvania, Louisiana, and Oregon. The film received a limited release in North American cinemas from November 25, 2009, and was released in UK cinemas on January 4, 2010.

Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:29 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Road
The Road

Watched this yesterday in a theatre filled with old folks. I haven't read the book but maybe one has to in order to really enjoy this. I thought it was interesting and very tense at times but as the film went on and on it just became a "oh look, here's the next house we can scavenge from" type of scenario. It does present a interesting look at how things get kill or be killed with no working govt no order no nothing to control the masses as people get downright senseless and eat one another and kill one another just to try and survive. I thought the presentation of the landscape was very gloomy. We're never told what happened but it seems like something Mist worthy occurred because it's nothing but gray and more gray everywhere they went. Lastly, it also makes you think about whether you'd be like the wife and just say fuck it I can't do this anymore or the father who lives for his boy and his almost endless struggle to keep eachother alive just to survive another day. After what appeared to be years of doom and gloom I might side with the wife and just quit.

Grade - C (may not sound like a C but I would really only watch this once in forever)

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:37 am
The Dark Knight

The films has some rather distrubing scenes not because of its so gorey or graphic.

Its because it is realistic.

That basement house scene was disturbing because it showed the dark side of human nature, which could be a possible reality.

Cannibalism of that sort has rarely ever occurred...

The film is slow but it was interesting due to the Cannibalism.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:52 am
Pure Phase

The Road is a masterpiece. It perfectly captures the spirit of the novel. Viggo Mortensen delivers an amazing performance. His emotional and physical commitment to this harrowing role is beyond words. Kodi Smit-McPhee, as his son, is also superb. He has a very bright future and is sure to impress again (his next role is the lead in the American version of Let the Right One In).

I saw The Road multiple times during its brief theatrical run. Repeat viewings did nothing to lessen its unique and indelible impact. The fact the ever-foolish Weinsteins shafted this blazing masterpiece in favor of the dull, indulgent Nine is sure to go down as a definitive Hollywood blunder. The Road may not be to everyone's taste as it is certainly a difficult and uncompromising film with a very sinister vision and story to tell, but those who open themselves to it will not soon forget (or regret) the experience.

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:56 pm
Indiana Jones IV

This is a serious gut-punch of a film. Viggo lays his soul bare playing this character, in what is probably the best work of his career. Haunting and stunning visuals. A study of fortitude and will that will not be soon forgotten.

A

Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:23 am
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

unbelievable film. i own the book but havent gotten around to reading it yet. after watching the movie, i am going to hurry up and move it up the line.

A-

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:50 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

The Road is an interesting piece. It is lead by some noteworthy performances from Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee and their chemistry is fine but a lot of the post-apoctolyptic world they are in just seems strange and odd. There is also not much explaining of how the world in the film got to where it was. The closest we get is the story of how the Woman (Charlize Theron) left. A bit of a disappointment. **

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:06 pm
Profile WWW

jmovies wrote:
The Road is an interesting piece. It is lead by some noteworthy performances from Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee and their chemistry is fine but a lot of the post-apoctolyptic world they are in just seems strange and odd. There is also not much explaining of how the world in the film got to where it was. The closest we get is the story of how the Woman (Charlize Theron) left. A bit of a disappointment. **

I haven't seen the film, but most of your complaints are elements consistent with the narrative of the novel, and you clearly misunderstand the purpose. It is not designed as an in depth analysis of a dystopian society. It is meant merely as a set-piece to the link between father and son and humanity's innate quality despite the world, or societies attempts to dehumanize everything.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:07 am
Wallflower

Really difficult to get into. It's repetitive and overlong. It ends up being a blessing that it never opened here because I would have seen it in theaters. Now that would have been torture.

C/C+

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:28 am
We had our time together

I found it rather boring and really couldn't get into it. Mortensen was excellent but I wasn't a fan of the son's performance. Cut about 30-40 minutes and you wouldn't miss anything. C

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:55 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

It really doesn't do enough to distinguish itself from the book. A faithful and utterly boring adaptation.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:55 pm
Pure Phase

It perfectly captures the novel's grim, impactful appeal on the screen. Calling it boring for being faithful is boring.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:33 am
loyalfromlondon

No, I'm calling it boring for being boring.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:42 am
Pure Phase

How is trixster not himself?

Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]