Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Where the Wild Things Are 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
B 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15

Post Where the Wild Things Are

Quote:
Where the Wild Things Are is a 2009 American fantasy drama film directed by Spike Jonze and adapted from Maurice Sendak's 1963 children's book Where the Wild Things Are. It combines live action, performers in costumes, animatronics, and computer-generated imagery (CGI). The film stars Max Records, Catherine Keener, and Mark Ruffalo, and features the voices of James Gandolfini, Paul Dano, Lauren Ambrose, and Forest Whitaker. The film centers around a lonely 9-year-old boy named Max who sails away to an island inhabited by creatures known as the "wild things," who declare Max their king.

In the early 1980s Disney considered adapting the film as a blend of traditionally animated characters and computer-generated settings, but development did not go past a test film to see how the animation hybridizing would work out. In 2001, Universal Studios acquired rights to the book's adaptation and initially attempted to develop a computer-animated adaptation with Disney animator Eric Goldberg, but in 2003 the cartoon version was replaced with a live-action concept and Goldberg was dropped for Spike Jonze. The film was co-produced by actor Tom Hanks through his production company Playtone and made on an estimated budget of around $100,000,000.

The film was released on October 16, 2009 in the United States, and on December 11, 2009 in the United Kingdom. The film was met with mostly critical acclaim and appeared on many year-end top ten lists. The film was released to DVD and Blu-Ray disc on March 2, 2010.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Post Re: Where the Wild Things Are
Just saw WTWTA anr let me just say that WB really droped the ball. This is no way a kids movie. The movie is very depressing from start to begining. There is alot of talking in the film and little action for kids( pretty much the opposite of the TV spots). The one action part were they have a dirt ball fight was soppsed to be fun but ends very depressing. The movie has very little plot. Boy gets mad and runs away from home, finds this island and stay for a few days and then goes back home. The way the movie ended had alot of people saying What the F**K. I have a feeling alot of parents will be walking out with there kids right behide them.

C+. The music was very good but the movie just did not have a point to it

Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:57 am
Extraordinary

lol

Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:07 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

curtis20 wrote:
Just saw WTWTA anr let me just say that WB really droped the ball. This is no way a kids movie. The movie is very depressing from start to begining. There is alot of talking in the film and little action for kids( pretty much the opposite of the TV spots). The one action part were they have a dirt ball fight was soppsed to be fun but ends very depressing. The movie has very little plot. Boy gets mad and runs away from home, finds this island and stay for a few days and then goes back home. The way the movie ended had alot of people saying What the F**K. I have a feeling alot of parents will be walking out with there kids right behide them.

Yeah, I just surprisingly read this very exact thing at AICN from one of the reviewers there.. They said it's a beautiful film, but not a kids movie and very depressing..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:41 am
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

sounds.. gooooooood

Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:00 am

curtis20 wrote:

Do they fuck up more Arcade Fire songs, like they did in the trailer?

Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:02 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

no arcade fire in the actual movie

Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:22 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

No actual reviews yet?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm
Extraordinary

this is an acual review
A

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:58 pm
Extraordinary

and I don't even like movies

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:59 pm
Sbil

A profound work of considerable depth and beauty. Where the Wild Things Are is a wonder, directed by Spike Jonze as a film mostly in favor of ignoring a complex narrative and instead portraying wildly vivid imagination and creativity. Jonze and Dave Eggers take Maurice Sendak's picture book and bring it alive to the screen in an undeniably exciting way. Newcomer Max Records, blessed with an expressive face and raw talent, shows the multiple dimensions of a character that are than later emphasized by his interactions with the Wild Things. All of them have relatable aspects to their personalities that we can recognize in ourselves, and the vocal cast (James Gandolfini, Lauren Ambrose, Catherine O'Hara, Forest Whitaker, Chris Cooper, Paul Dano) is superb. Bookending the movies are scenes of Max at home, with the always wonderful Catherine Keener doing a great deal with a brief role. The cinematography and costuming are dynamic and visually arresting. My only minor complaint would be in regards to pacing, which could've been tightened a bit more. However, as it stands, Where the Wild Things Are is a serious challenger to Up as the best "family film" of the year. A-

Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:19 pm
He didn't look busy?!

definitely not for everyone, but if you connect with its themes (and stunning visual style), it's irresistable.

A-

Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:30 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

At the very least, it's the most challenging film I've seen released this year, and the most thoughtful.

(having seen naught but nine films released in 2009, that doesn't say much...)

HOWEVER! I enjoyed it thoroughly:

Childlike and Raw; as a result, almost Uneasy but Glorious. truthful in some ways. in this day and age that's daring, baby.

words fail me

"A"

Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:28 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I thought I would have loved this film. Unfortunately, I didn't exactly enjoy it all that much. It's not bad, but I wanted more.

7/10

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Where the Wild Things is a wonderful adaptation of an already joyous book. Max Records shines as Young Max and his interactions with the "wild" creatures is both fun and touching. How real the creatures looked on screen was something else and even with all the behind the scenes struggles there were to make the film, the final look was miraculous. It's a shame it missed out on some awards because Spike Jonze for sure achieved. ***1/2

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:48 am
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

What a snoozefest!

Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:11 pm
You are waiting for a train

It's a shame this has had such a mixed reception. What an absolutely brilliant film.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:16 am

hey guyz, don't forget, this was a really super good moveee!!!!

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:01 pm
Extraordinary

Went to the original theatrical release of this with a group of people including kids of various ages - - all of whom had read and loved the book - - all of whom declared after seeing the film that it was a colossal bore. Being a Spike Jonze fan myself (Adaptation is close to being on my lifetime top ten list), it was doubly disappointing to me.

1 out of 5.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:45 pm

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Went to the original theatrical release of this with a group of people including kids of various ages - - all of whom had read and loved the book - - all of whom declared after seeing the film that it was a colossal bore. Being a Spike Jonze fan myself (Adaptation is close to being on my lifetime top ten list), it was doubly disappointing to me.

1 out of 5.

Even more proof.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:16 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

Give me a C.
Give me an R.
Give me an A.
Give me a P.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:49 am
Where will you be?

Sure, a lot of people forget how sad and lonely it can be to be a kid. But there are moments of incredible happiness and joy in between too... And once Max gets to the island, this was just a long, mopey drag. It was very pretty to look at, but in dire need of some, hell any, sense of adventure.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:51 am
Indiana Jones IV

It's a stange world where Michael A is right while everyone else just plain wrong.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

A pure kid's film, bursting with creativity and imagination and whimsy.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:47 am
You must have big rats

trixster wrote:
A pure kid's film, bursting with creativity and imagination and whimsy.

Though most kids don't like it. I saw it in a showing full with kids and I was probably the only one who liked it.

Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:13 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next