Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Jennifer's Body 

What grade would you give this film?
A 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
C 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16

Jennifer's Body 
Extraordinary

Post Jennifer's Body
Jennifer's Body

Quote:
Jennifer's Body is a 2009 black comedy horror film written by Diablo Cody and directed by Karyn Kusama. The film stars Megan Fox, Amanda Seyfried, Adam Brody and Johnny Simmons and portrays a newly-possessed teenage serial killer specializing in killing her male classmates as her best friend strives to stop her. The film premiered at the 2009 Toronto International Film Festival and was released in the United States and Canada on September 18, 2009. The title is a reference to the song of the same name by Hole on their album Live Through This. As a tie-in to the film, Boom! Studios produced a Jennifer's Body graphic novel, released in August 2009.

Working with Cody again following their collaborative efforts on the film Juno, Jason Reitman stated he and his producers "want to make unusual films". Cody said she wanted the film to speak to female empowerment and explore the complex relationships between best friends.

The film had a disappointing performance at the North American box office, making $2.8 million its opening day and $6.8 million its opening weekend, and received mixed reviews from critics; where negative reviews classified the film as lacking the intensity needed for "true horror" and desperate to be a cult classic, positive reviews praised the film for its "occasionally clever" and often witty dialogue combined with "fun performances" and emotional resonance.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Post Re: Jennifer's Body
B-, around the quality level of Juno.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:44 pm
Profile WWW

insanity has a new face.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:22 pm
Killing With Kindness

Alex Y. wrote:
B-, around the quality level of Juno.

awesome, Juno is the best movie of 2007.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:19 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Wow, I didn't think this would be THAT good. But if it's around the quality level of JUNO it must be.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:32 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Mike wrote:
Wow, I didn't think this would be THAT good. But if it's around the quality level of JUNO it must be.

:wacko:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:32 am

Juno is beautiful. Shame so many people are blind to it.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:51 am
Wallflower

Almost everyone loved it at first, but then it became so popular and everyone turned their back on it. It became hip to hate it, just like with American Beauty. I'll admit Juno isn't perfect. Only certain parts of it are :funny: (It's a May thing ;) ). There are definitely a few bits of dialogue I have qualms with. But overall I loved it.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:01 am

I haven't seen the film. But I prefer Juno over this movie because I prefer comedy. :)

Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:05 am

Juno is a wonderful film, however American Beauty is one of the best movies that has ever been made.
This, is almost certainly nowhere near either in quality.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:36 am
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

A

awesome film, highlarious.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:38 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I really enjoyed Jennifer's Body!

I was surprised by how much pleasure it gave me... but of course...

I love a little wordplay and JB gave it to me.

I can't bestow upon this fine little film my highest grade because of a lazy narrative (that's two nights in a row with The Informant!!). Diablo sets a very low goal for herself with a genre pic, and the least intelligent genre of them all - - horror, and yet she slacks off in the act changes and lets a promising start turn into an adequate finish. Don't get me wrong, it's plenty of snarky fun, but it ain't no Citizen Insane!

Fortunately, it's Amanda Seyfried's movie, acting wise. She was great as the heroine/enabler! Plus, the producers played to Megan Fox's talent and got her to pose her way through her performance - - mucho smarto! I only saw her "act" in one previous movie (the first Transformers) and it was literally painful to watch. Her work in that film crippled me for the next forty-eight hours after viewing it. Here in JB though, she's poserific!

The scares were exciting, the laughs were hearty, and the underlying themes were intriguing - - it ultimately succeeds in it's low fruit aim...

...so close to being a worldbeater, yet slips a star from perfection with my rating of:

:zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

{Still, I'll be first to eagerly line up to see the inevitable sequel!}

{{Starring Amanda Seyfried with the latest bimbo du jour!}}

{{{e.g.: Tanya's Body!}}}

Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:09 am
You must have big rats

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
and the least intelligent genre of them all - - horror

:disgust:

Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:29 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:

The truth will set you free - - lack of intelligence isn't always a bad thing...

Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:38 am
The Lubitsch Touch

This is a mess. A decent director could have made this intermittently amusing script into a passable film but, ugh, Kusama has no consistent vision for this beast.

Megan Fox, however, is really, really funny. She is the only one who seems to be jiving with the material. Adam Brody too, I suppose.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:54 am
Orphan

Kusama is a worthless director. She totally botches the fire sequence. David R. Ellis isn't a great or even good director by any means but at least he's capable and would have done much more with that particular scene. Kusama shouldn't be allowed to direct anything with a halfway decent budget as she also botched Aeon Flux.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:24 am
The Lubitsch Touch

As a metaphor about female empowerment and sexual awakening, it is surprisingly thoughtful and really does work. It just doesn't provide enough surface pleasure; as a genre picture, it is woefully undernourished.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:35 am
Wallflower

Dr. Lecter wrote:

I second that. Clearly you aren't watching the right horror movies if you think that's the case. Such an underrated genre.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:33 pm
Wallflower

{Still, I'll be first to eagerly line up to see the inevitable sequel!}

{{Starring Amanda Seyfried with the latest bimbo du jour!}}

{{{e.g.: Tanya's Body!}}}

They will never in a million years make a sequel, since this one bombed and will finish with around 20 Million.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:35 pm
loyalfromlondon

It really feels half-baked; there's no coherent tone developed and the actors all seem to be in different movies. It shows flashes of brilliance, but it's also deathly boring at times. And can anyone take Adam Brody seriously as an evil indie rocker? I would say the film doesn't, but there's no hint of irony in his performance.

Megan Fox, though, as yosh said, is really funny (even though she doesn't show any more skin than she does in Transformers), and shows that she really is a bonafide actor, or can be at times. Too bad no one else in this movie is. Except for J.K. Simmons, of course.

A disappointment, and not just because we don't get to see Megan's foxes.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:19 pm

Are you trying to tell me that Megan Fox is a better actor than Amanda Seyfried?

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:41 pm
loyalfromlondon

I wasn't trying to tell you anything; I wasn't even talking to you.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:01 pm

who are you talking to?

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:14 pm
Orphan

I would rather watch Fox try to act than Seyfried any day. Seyfried is not a very good actor either so why not go with the better-looking one?

Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:02 am

she at least knows how to, you know, make an expression.

And I, personally, find Megan Fox remarkably unattractive.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next