Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Boys Don't Cry 

What grade would you give this film?
A 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Boys Don't Cry 
College Boy Z

Post Boys Don't Cry
Boys Don't Cry

Quote:
Boys Don't Cry is a 1999 American independent romantic drama film directed by Kimberly Peirce and co-written by Andy Bienen. The film is a dramatization of the real-life story of Brandon Teena, a transgender man played by Hilary Swank, who pursues a relationship with a young woman, played by Chloë Sevigny. Brandon Teena is raped and murdered by male acquaintances after they discover he is biologically female. The picture explores the themes of freedom, courage, identity and empowerment. The film was distributed by Fox Searchlight Pictures and was released theatrically in October 1999.

After reading about the murder of Brandon Teena while in college, Peirce intently researched the case—as well as Teena's life—and worked on a screenplay for the film for almost five years. All She Wanted, the 1993 book about the case written by Aphrodite Jones, inspired Peirce, but she chose to focus the story on the relationship between Teena and his girlfriend Lana Tisdel. Many actors campaigned for the lead over the course of three years; the then unknown Swank was cast because her personality seemed similar to Teena's. The film also stars Lou Perry, Peter Sarsgaard, Brendan Sexton III, Alicia Goranson, Jeannetta Arnette, and Matt McGrath. The majority of characters were based on real-life people, while some were composites. Shooting lasted from October until November 1998 and filming took place in various locations throughout Texas.

Boys Don't Cry premiered at the New York Film Festival on October 8, 1999 to overwhelmingly positive acclaim from critics. Praise was generally focused on the two lead performances by Swank and Sevigny. The film received a limited nationwide release on October 22, 1999, and performed moderately well at the North American box office. At the 72nd Academy Awards in 2000, Swank was awarded an Oscar for Best Actress, while Sevigny was nominated for Best Supporting Actress. The film has been cited as one of the most controversial and talked-about films of 1999, initially being assigned an NC-17 rating, later modified to an R rating. The release of the film was concurrent with the murder of a young gay man, Matthew Shepard, which sparked additional public interest. The film was named after the song of the same name by The Cure, and a cover version of the song appears in the film.

Last edited by zingy on Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:31 pm
La Bella Vito

This movie was absolutely amazing! Everything about it is great. The story is brilliant, and the actors are extraordinary. Hilary Swank was incredible, and she certainly did deserve the Oscar that year. Chloe Sevigny is also very good here, as are all of the supporting actors. The ending is very tragic, but it had to happen, seeing that this is based on a true story, and all of this really took place. It's a great movie, and Hilary Swank is well on her way to becoming one of the most recognizeable actresses in Hollywood.

A

Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:50 am
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

Yep, that's Boys Don't Cry.

If you haven't seen this and thought Swank was great in Million Dollar Baby, she's probably even better here. A

Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:03 am
Indiana Jones IV

The film is soo good. I loved it so much. A very tragic story but is really good. It was soo sad. Hilary Swank is quickly becoming one of favorite actresses. A-

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

It's been quite a long time since I've seen this but I remember it being sad, tragic and just fucking depressing. I also remember my grade :wink:

9/10 (A)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:11 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Teh Mexican

great movie, very well deserved Oscar win for Hilary Swank

A-

Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:36 am
Veteran

Hilary Swank gives an incredible performance in a mediocre movie. My grade: B-.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:36 am
Profile WWW
htm

Hilary Swank gives an incredible performance in a mediocre movie. My grade: B-.

Yea, until the movie goes into emotional overdrive, the movie is too mediocre. Swank, however, did one of the finest acting jobs I have EVER seen in my life. Same goes for Sevigny, who is terribly underrated. Unforgettable movie.

B+

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:01 pm
Some days I'm a super bitch

From what I can remember, the movie did live up to Swank's performance (which was, in my opinion, one of the best cinematic performances of all time). The film's small scale enhanced the intimacy between the characters and wasn't preachy at all.

A

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Iron Man

Depressing movie. Hilary Swank gives an excellent performance which I have to say is much better than her performance in Million Dollar Baby. Chloe Sevigny is also very good and much deserved her Best Supporting Actress nomination. However, the movie is not necessarily as great as their performances. B

Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:55 pm
Forum General

Post Re: Boys Don't Cry
I watched this last night for my first time in about 8 or 9 years. I'm 20 years old now, so obviously I'm quite a bit older now and have a lot more life experiences under my belt. Wow is all I can say about it. There isn't a weak link in this cast. Swank is completely deserving of her Oscar win, she is just absolutely fantastic and gives an all-time great performance that will always be remembered. The scene where she is locked in the bathroom and the two guys are tearing her pants off her is just devastating. I watched it with my boyfriend, who is as mainstream as they come and he surprisingly loved it as well, but we definitely disagreed a lot on some of the themes. He kept saying throughout the movie that he didn't understand transsexualism. I tried explaining to him how it's been proven that it's a birth defect and he just didn't understand and kept calling Brandon a lesbian, as well as Lana. But anyway, yeah, this is a great movie.

10/10 (A+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:17 pm