Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 2:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Bandslam 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Bandslam 
Extraordinary

Post Bandslam
Bandslam

Quote:
Bandslam is a 2009 American romantic comedy film produced by Summit Entertainment and Walden Media. Written by Josh Cagan and Todd Graff, it stars Aly Michalka, Vanessa Hudgens, Gaelan Connell, Lisa Kudrow and Scott Porter. The film revolves around Will and Charlotte, who form an unlikely bond through their shared love of music.

Assembling a like-minded crew of misfits, the friends form a rock group and perform in a battle of the bands competition called "Bandslam". The film was shot in Austin, Texas, with additional scenes filmed in New York City. The film generated mostly positive reviews but it failed to chart in the top 10 when it was released on August 14, 2009 in the US, where it grossed only $2,250,000 in the weekend.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:44 am
Profile WWW
"no rank"

Post Re: Bandslam
It's from the director of Camp, which was a really good musical.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:26 am
Wallflower

Yeah, I really enjoyed CAMP. But this looked lame. Then it got great reviews, and now I'll probably check it out on DVD.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:51 am
Pure Phase

If anyone sees this, please report on how big David Bowie's role is. lol

I'm interested to know if it's a solid 10 minute sort of role or a one-second walk-on/"was that DAVID BOWIE?" type role.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:35 am
Orphan

Seeing it later today.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:00 am
Extraordinary

don't get caught jerkin' it.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:08 am
Full Fledged Member

For the person who wanted to know, David Bowie is in the last two minutes of the film, and that's it.

First of all, I LOVED Camp. Wow, where should I start? I liked this film more when it was called "School of Rock." It was also better as "High School Musical." Admittedly, there were some funny historical jokes (I think I remember one about the Nuremburg Laws and what not), and I laughed out loud a few times, but other than that, the film is a real stinker, and I'm surprised the critics like this film so much. Were they high? It slaughters on the cliches; the acting was okay, and the directing was just choopy. Cheesy one-liners would make for a nice, campy horror flick...unfortunately, this film was lacking in the comedy area...its main genre. Despite the ads and commercials, this is NOT a musical (and features TWO performances in the entire film), nor does David Bowie appear in most of the film (he's in the last 3 minutes, though, and that's it). The plot didn't even occur until the very last 10-15 minutes; it felt like a television movie and tried to hard to be a "good" movie that it failed in that aspect. If it was intentionally corny, it would've been much better...unfortunately, it felt too much like a cheesy, cliche soap opera...how much can one take? Needless to say, the Twi-hards absolutely loved the film, and only because of the New Moon trailer.

C+

Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:28 pm
College Boy T

how was Gaelan Connell, aka kid who went to high school with me.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:30 pm
Full Fledged Member

torrino wrote:
how was Gaelan Connell, aka kid who went to high school with me.

You mean Will? He was actually really good. He reminded of the guy in ILY,BC....but better.

You went to high school with him? That's so awesome....I know the guy who invented WoW.

Anyway, yeah, he was awkward and funny....just perfect for the part. He and Lisa Kudrow made the film go from a C- to a C+. :)

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:35 pm
Extraordinary

This story has been told a thousand times...

...luckily, I never get tired of it!

The cast is plenty charming (especially Ally of Ally & AJ and the lead kid) to overcome the occasional clunkiness in the screenplay.

(One thing that bothered me though, was the choice of song for the finale - - yow! If a real band in this situation had started playing a cover of Bread's "Everything I Own", they woulda been jeered off the stage.)

:zzz: :mad: :) out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:13 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

The movie is fine when the band is playing...which is not nearly often enough.

It never had a chance with that ugly, deranged Shia LeBeouf/Bud Cort looking motherfucker in the lead. Oh, he's terrible! He has like, a lazy eye, has no charisma or acting chops, and always looks like he's about to murder everybody.

YOU WENT TO HIGH SCHOOL WITH HIM TORRINO? Yikes.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:35 am
Wallflower

BANDSLAM - 8/10 (A-)

Ok, this was a terrific little flick. It looked so terrible too. It was incredibly mismarketed. This is not a Disney-fied High School Musical type flick in the least. This one is a little gem.

And I liked the lead. I agree about him being reminiscent of the guy in I Love You, Beth Cooper.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:18 am
Orphan

Mike wrote:
BANDSLAM - 8/10 (A-)

Ok, this was a terrific little flick. It looked so terrible too. It was incredibly mismarketed. This is not a Disney-fied High School Musical type flick in the least. This one is a little gem.

And I liked the lead. I agree about him being reminiscent of the guy in I Love You, Beth Cooper.

I thought you might like it :)

Hudgens was quite good as well. Liked Kudrow too.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:25 am
Wallflower

Oh yeah, I only mentioned the lead because of the above comment about him. But I was definitely surprised to like Hudgens. I'm not normally a fan, but she was good in this. It has a lot to do with her character being really likable though.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:32 am
Forum General

A-

Highly enjoyable. Rewatched the trailer and it's as bad as ever though, no wonder it bombed, and a pity it did too.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:23 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Bandslam is a good example of bad marketing at its finest. It was marketed as a typical teen romance/music film that looked completely cliched. The only problem is that it is not bad at all, in fact a great surprise. The film seems more like a bit more grown up version of School of Rock. Sure there is no Jack Black in it and he is basically replaced by a music whiz, but the drive to do well at a local music competition along with some of the jokes seem familiar with School of Rock. The romance angles don't try to make the movie as what it is usually the case when you have films like this. The film also felt very real and not just acted out. The main trio work very well in their parts. Sure this isn't an Oscar-driven film, but for what it is, it is one of the most enjoyable sit back and relax kind of movies released in the past few years. ***1/2

Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]