Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The Hurt Locker 

What grade would you give this film?
A 60%  60%  [ 18 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 7 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 30

The Hurt Locker 

Post The Hurt Locker
The Hurt Locker

Quote:
The Hurt Locker is a 2008 American war film about a three-man United States Army Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team during the Iraq War. The film was directed by Kathryn Bigelow and the screenplay was written by Mark Boal, a freelance writer who was embedded as a journalist in 2004 with a US bomb squad in Iraq. It stars Jeremy Renner, Anthony Mackie, and Brian Geraghty. The film was nominated for nine Academy Awards and won six including Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay for Boal and Best Director for Bigelow.

The Hurt Locker premiered at the Venice Film Festival in Italy during 2008. After being shown at the Toronto International Film Festival, it was picked up for distribution in the United States by Summit Entertainment. The film was released in the United States on June 26, 2009 but received a more widespread theatrical release on July 24, 2009.

Because the film was not originally released in the United States until 2009, it was eligible to be judged for the 82nd Academy Awards where it was nominated for nine Academy Awards. It won six Oscars including Best Picture and Best Director for Bigelow, the first woman to win this award. The Hurt Locker also earned numerous awards and honors from critics' organizations, festivals and groups, including six BAFTA Awards.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:14 am
Profile WWW
"no rank"

Post Re: The Hurt Locker
Its an action film first and foremost. It doesnt probe into the lives of the EOD teams, why they do what they do.

There is a bit of madness to the film, especially in the final act. Characters start doing things that dont make a lot of sense. But its all so tense and hyper realistic, you just say fuckit. Guy Pierce and Ralph Fiennes are stand outs, even in their short lived cameos.

It's no Full Metal Jacket but its the best War on Terror film thus far.

A-

Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:09 am
You must have big rats

I really want to see it.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Highly impressive stuff, and I must admit I didn't expect it to be so good.

Its pretty much a series of stand alone set pieces held together by some bomb diffusal fella with a death wish but each one of those set pieces are lessons in tension. Between the great usage of sound and high sense of danger and paranoia I ended up wringing my hands in expectation of the shit hitting the fan within short order of each scene beginning.

It is completely devoid of politics or moralising about the rights and wrongs of Iraq and just gives you what is one of Hollywood's most realistic depiction of war in many a long year. Hard to believe its from the director of Point Break but I guess she can do war just as well as blond surfers.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:50 am
"no rank"

Variante Ascari wrote:
Hard to believe its from the director of Point Break but I guess she can do war just as well as blond surfers.

She's also really good with vampires.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:58 am
You must have big rats

And with sci-fi thrillers starring Ray Fiennes.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:53 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

I'm seeing this tomorrow! It's almost three hours away, but I'm going!

Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:56 am
Sbil

yoshue wrote:

Do we actually both want to see the same movie? That's kind of weird.

But you're traveling three hours to see a movie? The heck?

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:02 am
"no rank"

Libs wrote:
yoshue wrote:

I've flown to another country to see a movie...twice.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Libs wrote:
yoshue wrote:

Do we actually both want to see the same movie? That's kind of weird.

To see TWO movies. And one of them is Woody Allen! We could hit a Whatever Works screening in about 90 minutes, but we decided it would be best to just swing for the fences.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:39 am
College Boy Z

When I travel like 30 minutes to see a movie, I feel like that's a journey.

I never heard of this 'till just now but it sounds good.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:40 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

One plus point I saw for the soldiers, at least after a horrible day of bombs and imminent death they could relax with a game of Gears of War.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:06 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought it was fantastic. It's definitely one of the most intense films I've seen in quite some time, there were so many points where I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next. It's incredibly realistic, often brutally so, and not exactly the most enjoyable viewing experience - but it's very thought-provoking and action-packed from pretty much beginning to end. The performances are universally fantastic. Jeremy Renner gives one of my favorite performances of the year so far as Will, the multi-layered and fascinating protagonist who keeps a lot hidden under the surface. One of my favorite scenes in the film was when he was trying to calm Eldridge down when they were being attacked in the desert - it was a huge turning point for his character and I bought it completely due to Renner's performance. I also loved Anthony Mackie's work here, he was a good foil to Renner's character. Smaller supporting turns from Ralph Fiennes and Guy Pearce are both effective. I would have to agree that this is the best film made about the war on terror so far, and it's also a perfect example of how to craft a successful suspense film. Highly recommended. A

Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:40 am
Profile YIM
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

A-

outstanding watch

Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Just saw it today while visiting San Francisco.

It really grew on me throughout its 130 minutes. Even halfway through I wasn't quite absorbed but by the end it got me. Might be the best movie so far this year... but unfortunately that's really not saying much!

A-

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:47 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Masterful. Kathryn Bigelow had this in her? The bitch who made me sit through Point Break? Wow!

Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:13 am
"no rank"

I just wish there was more meat to it.

But all things considered this is no Jarhead, which it very well could have been.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:45 am
The Lubitsch Touch

No meat? Crazy. The expense alone is more meat than a thousand films on the subject. I kept thinking of Wages of Fear. The film is all about the experience of being a solider, and of the Iraqi conflict too, but it never stoops to being didactic or ponderous about it.

It's a great, great film.

All the pieces came together, except the unfortunate plot strand where Renner sneaks off the base. Ebert defended it in metaphorical terms but, really, its just a 10-minute distraction. Should have snipped it out.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:49 am
"no rank"

yoshue wrote:
No meat? The suspense alone constitutes more meat than any thousand Jarheads. The film is all about the experience of being a solider, and of the Iraqi conflict too, but it never stoops to being didactic or ponderous about it.

It's a great, great film.

All the pieces came together, except the unfortunate plot strand where Renner sneaks off the base. Ebert defended it in metaphorical terms but, really, its just a 10-minute distraction. Should have snipped it out.

No, there's no defense for Dahmer sneaking away on a half-assed mission. It was completely off point and sunk the third act a bit.

Suspense doesn't constitute meat. If that was the case, every film with a brick of C4 and a timer would be master class.
I give Bigelow credit for making a top-notch action film that uses the War on Terror as a backdrop. But that's really as far as it goes.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:55 am
"no rank"

Magnus wrote:
The last act is madness but not like Apoclaypse Now madness that sucks you in and end the film in awe. It's just chaotic and I just wanted it to end.

However...everything before that was amazing. Easily one of the best war movies this decade and hands down the best best Iraq War film ever made...though its competition isn't that tough in that category.

Three Kings is a better film I think. But if we're including all types of Iraq War films, Standard Operating Procedure beats them both.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:52 pm
You must have big rats

yoshue wrote:
Masterful. Kathryn Bigelow had this in her? The bitch who made me sit through Point Break? Wow!

I asked you that before, but...have you seen Near Dark and Strange Days?

Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:35 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Loyal, I think you're underselling the film on a thematic level. I thought it wonderfully thought-provoking and intelligent, bursting at the seems with dry observations about the culture of soliders and Iraq and masculinity and the adrenaline rush of battle. Bigelow is smart enough to make the action the main point, and fill in the margins with all that grist for the analyzation mill. Bigelow trusts the audience, and in doing so she's channeling the greats like Fuller or Clouzot. It really is a marvelous movie.

Last edited by Johnny Dollar on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:22 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I don't think its an amazing movie in a cohesive whole sense. But its all the separate vignettes that made it great viewing. I really loved the way it used Pearce and Fiennes, it gave them great roles but dismissed them in a brutal manner that underscored the sudden horrible manner of war.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:40 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I'm glad I'd read nothing about the movie. I didn't realize he'd be getting all Janet Leigh'd up in here.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:29 am
Extraordinary

you've ruined everything, cp

Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next