Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 My Sister's Keeper 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

My Sister's Keeper 

Post My Sister's Keeper
My Sister's Keeper

Quote:
My Sister's Keeper is a 2009 American drama film directed by Nick Cassavetes and starring Cameron Diaz, Abigail Breslin, Sofia Vassilieva, and Alec Baldwin. Based on Jodi Picoult's novel of the same name, My Sister's Keeper was released in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and the United Kingdom on June 26, 2009.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:12 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: My Sister's Keeper
lol

Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:37 am
Christian's #1 Fan

Yeah.

It tugs all the right heart strings. It knows exactly how to get the best reaction from the viewer.

But damnit, it is still a good movie. All the cast was wonderful. B

Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:26 pm
Forum General

Jeff wrote:
Yeah.

It tugs all the right heart strings. It knows exactly how to get the best reaction from the viewer.

Without spoiling anything, just wondering....who owns the movie more or is it basically a tie: Abigail Breslin or Cameron Diaz. As from the trailers, it seems like it is the little girls movie.

Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:59 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Grill wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Yeah.

Without spoiling anything, just wondering....who owns the movie more or is it basically a tie: Abigail Breslin or Cameron Diaz. As from the trailers, it seems like it is the little girls movie.

I'm going to say Breslin delivers a better performance. I've never been a huge fan of Diaz though (she's usually too ... dipsy for me). Here though, she was pretty great.

Breslin always does good though. And this is no exception.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:38 am
Sbil

My Sister's Keeper is poignant and heartfelt, but the film succeeds emotionally because it is a triumph of acting. In adapting Jodi Picoult's novel, Nick "The Notebook" Cassavetes has lost a bit of the impact as a result of sloppy writing. There are some characters and relationships in this film that are left underdeveloped, especially regarding the Fitzgeralds' neglected teenage son. What is not sloppy is the acting of the cast. Cameron Diaz abandons any lightweight baggage in this role and shows a considerable amount of dramatic range; Sara is not the easiest character to like sometimes yet we're fully sympathetic with her because of Diaz's performance. Jason Patric's performance is low-key but moving, and Joan Cusack has a heartbreaking moment free of dialogue early on in the picture as a sympathetic judge. Abigail Breslin continues to avoid overt cuteness or artifice in her performances. She also develops an authentic sisterly bond with Sofia Vassilieva, who is the find of the picture. This is an incredible and brave performance from this young actress and I hope we see more of her. In the end, the movie succeeds to the extent it does as a testament to its wonderful cast, who sell the film and give it its punch. B

Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:43 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

shut up filmlover

What makes the cancer girl's performance 'brave'? I'm honestly curious. You should leave that sloppy Joel Siegel prose for thompsoncory.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:46 pm
Sbil

yoshue wrote:
shut up filmlover

What makes the cancer girl's performance 'brave'? I'm honestly curious. You should leave that sloppy Joel Siegel prose for thompsoncory.

That's mean.

Also, I think her performance is brave because the film doesn't shy away from showing you what an actual cancer patient goes through and I don't think many young actresses would've necessarily agreed to a role that shows them with a shaved head, vomiting blood, looking so haggard, etc.

I know you're the world's biggest cynic, but the manipulation in this movie really isn't that bad.

They even totally changed the book's ending, which was arguably more emotionally manipulative than the one they go with in the movie.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:49 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Every single young actress would not only have agreed to the role, they would have murdered a small, smiling puppy for the opportunity to do all of those things. Suffering is an actor's dream.

Tell me about the ending.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:53 pm
Sbil

yoshue wrote:

Tell me about the ending.

Spoiler: show
The movie's ending: Abigail Breslin is only suing her parents for medical emancipation because Kate (the sister with the cancer) told her to, because she doesn't want her kidney and wants to die. It all gets revealed, then Kate dies before Abigail Breslin gets the medical emancipation anyway.

The book's ending: The same thing as the movie (the sister with cancer told the sister without it to sue for medical emancipation so she could die). But the non-cancer sister gets the medical emancipation and then immediately is involved in a car wreck and becomes brain dead before she can say whether she would've agreed to donate a kidney. Since she's brain dead, her lawyer acts as power of attorney and donates the kidney to the cancer sister, who survives the operation and narrates something about how she survived because her sister took her place in heaven. The end.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:59 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Yeah, the book's ending sounds even sillier.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:03 pm
Sbil

I still can't believe you called me filmlover, yoyomaelisabethshue. It's not my fault! I came first. I'm the original!

Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:08 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I just like casually bringing up my favorite KJ event ever.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:09 pm
Sbil

yoshue wrote:
I just like casually bringing up my favorite KJ event ever.

That's still going on, by the way. I'm totally convinced.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:10 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Really?!?! Throw me a link. I can't remember where he/she hides.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:14 pm

Libs wrote:
I still can't believe you called me filmlover, yoyomaelisabethshue. It's not my fault! I came first. I'm the original!

Don't know about this film-lover nonsense but libs, since you've moved on to yoyo(insert nonsense here) may I borrow dinoturtle? I promise to feed it, walk it, and make it pee outside (the it here being the name and not the user yoshue, I'm not implying he is a dog, although I'm not sure that would be totally uncalled for)

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:25 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

yoshue wrote:
You should leave that sloppy Joel Siegel prose for thompsoncory.

There's that wonderful charm of yours yet again :roll:

Anyways, I thought this was decent but also flawed. It had the potential to be much better than it was, but unfortunately a lot of it falls flat. This is in no way because of the performances, all of which were wonderful. The standouts in my opinion were definitely Sofia Vassilieva in a breakout role, an understated Jason Patric and Joan Cusack, who is incredibly effective in her limited screentime. Both Cameron Diaz and Abigail Breslin are strong here as well, and it's nice to see Diaz doing a drama again since she definitely has talent in the genre. The biggest problem the film faces is flawed direction and a screenplay full of holes. I wasn't a huge fan of the way the film jumped back and forth with its narrative, nor the way that it was narrated from different perspectives. At times it felt choppy and took away from the overall viewing experience. Several characters are completely underdeveloped (the brother comes to mind. The ending suggests he was troubled and "turned his life around" but what exactly did he do in the film that was so bad in the first place?) and the distracting soundtrack full of so-called "moody" tracks often gets grating. The film works best during an extended flashback to Kate's brief love affair with a fellow patient, in what is easily the film's most moving and heartbreaking segment. Many of the cancer-related scenes (especially the final few segments) are also very authentic and tearjerking - as someone who has a close family member that has gone through cancer I appreciated the realism there. I wasn't a big fan of the courtroom dynamic, it once again added to this film's choppy feel. Overall though this is worth seeing for the fantastic performances. Because of them an otherwise confused picture finds its footing and manages to make an emotional impact. B

Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:56 pm
Profile YIM
Top Poster

B+ uplifting movie

Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:52 pm
Profile WWW

I like the ending here considerably more than the books ending (haven't read it, just libs synopsis.)
The film is pretty bad. it's to artsy and intelligent to be a sappy chick-flick and its too conventional and poorly wrought to be an artistic film. It winds up in a miserable no-man's land that leaves you feeling rather empty inside. There are better films to watch if you need a good cry followed by a "life sucks but it's okay" speech.

Wait, am I as cynical as yosh now?

Either way: 2/5.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:17 pm
Extraordinary

I really quite liked My Sister's Keeper - - I found it pleasantly emotional throughout without being manipulative. The main downside was that the screenplay was kinda clunky with some hard to keep track of sidetracks - - in particular I found the brother character quite unnecessary. Also, while I like Cameron Diaz and think she did a good job here, she's no Charlize Theron. But overall, I was swept along and engaged by the story and found it surprisingly uplifting...

:zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:27 pm
Extraordinary

yoshue wrote:
Every single young actress would not only have agreed to the role, they would have murdered a small, smiling puppy for the opportunity to do all of those things. Suffering is an actor's dream.

+1

Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:30 pm
Horror Hound

I seen this last night with my mum.

It's seriously heartbreaking isn't it?

God, i was in bits.

My mum was worse!

Sofia Vassilieva was fantastic. Seriously brilliant. Cameron Diaz showed a great new side to her acting. The actor playing the brother was great and Abigail Breslin was good as usual.

I loved the scrapbook montages, the surprise ending after reading the book, the soundtrack especially.

I fully recommend this....just bring tissues!

Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:38 pm
Wallflower

MY SISTER'S KEEPER - 7/10 ( B )

One of the better Nick Cassavetes movies. Sure, it's a shameless tearjerker, but I liked it, and yes, I cried.

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]