Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Inglourious Basterds 

What grade would you give this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 36 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 7 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 48

Inglourious Basterds 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Inglourious Basterds
Inglourious Basterds

Quote:
Inglourious Basterds is a 2009 war film written and directed by Quentin Tarantino and starring Brad Pitt, Christoph Waltz and Mélanie Laurent. The film tells the fictional story of two plots to assassinate the Nazi Germany political leadership, one planned by a young French Jewish cinema proprietor (Laurent), and the other by a team of Jewish Allied soldiers led by First Lieutenant Aldo Raine (Pitt).

Development on Inglourious Basterds began in 1998, when Tarantino wrote the script for the film. Tarantino struggled with the ending and chose to hold off filming and moved on to direct the two-part film Kill Bill. After directing Death Proof in 2007 (as part of the double feature Grindhouse), Tarantino returned to work on Inglourious Basterds. The film went into production in October 2008 and was filmed in Germany and France with a production budget of $70 million. Inglourious Basterds premiered on May 20, 2009 at the 62nd Cannes Film Festival, where it competed for the Palme d'Or. It was widely released in theaters in the United States and Europe in August 2009 by The Weinstein Company and Universal Studios.

The film was successful at the box office, grossing $320,351,773 in theaters worldwide, making it Tarantino's highest-grossing film to date. It received multiple awards and nominations, including eight Academy Award nominations. For his role as Hans Landa, Christoph Waltz won the Best Actor Award at the Cannes Film Festival, as well as the BAFTA Award, Golden Globe and the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon May 25, 2009 11:41 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Inglourious Basterds (2009)
Keep in mind that the cut I saw was the 160-minute Cannes edit, and Tarantino has said that he will be putting together a slightly different edit when it officially debuts.

-----------

Inglourious Basterds starts with a bang, with a fantastic sequence between Nazi and self-proclaimed 'Jew Hunter' Standartenführer Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz), as he visits a small French country house suspecting a man and his family of harboring Jews. As he talks with the owner of the house, several shots reveal a young woman named Shoshanna (Melanie Laurent) and her family hiding under the floorboards. It's a phenomenal scene with crackling dialogue and a lot of tension, and ends brutally in a way that sets up what appears to be an action-packed revenge film. Unfortunately, the action pretty much stops there. Instead of the great dialogue and interesting characters one might expect from a Tarantino film, we are left with many endless scenes of dialogue that have no real point and make the general plot incomprehensible. It's hard to care about any of these characters and their plights because the screenplay fails to develop them and make them relatable. Shoshanna seems to be crafted initially as a character similar to 'The Bride' from the Kill Bill films, but she's pretty much a caricature - even attempts at developing her with a love interest (Jacky Ido) don't succeed because their romance is so out of nowhere. The majority of this film involves a plot to assassinate Hitler at a cinema, who allows Tarantino to throw in many 'oh-so-clever' references to classic films that seem obvious and forced. And for those going to see this film for the 'inglourious basterds' that are being advertised to no end in the promotional material, you're going to be sorely disappointed. The segments involving these characters are easily the best and feel the most Tarantino-esque of anything in this film. However, they are few and far between. Star Brad Pitt is only in the film for an hour at most, while the other Basterds are given limited screentime that ranges from about forty minutes to just over five. The way they are introduced is sloppy too. The character of Hugo Stiglitz (Til Schwieger) is given an elaborate and incredibly entertaining introduction when he first appears that explains his entire backstory in a matter of minutes. However, this technique is not used with any of the other characters and Stiglitz is almost never seen again in the film. Even Pitt's Aldo Raine, while a fun character that Pitt succeeds with, is entirely one-dimensional. It all leads to a cluttered and confusing climax that really shows the film's lack of a real tone or a central protagonist. The film has beautiful cinematography and is far from terrible thanks to a phenomenal performance from Waltz and solid work from Pitt, but it's a crushing disappointment that Tarantino could have done so much more with. The final line of the film occurs when Pitt decides to put a mark on his final Nazi victim, just so everyone will know who he truly is. He carves into his forehead a swastika, and stares directly into the camera and goes "This is my masterpiece." Oh Tarantino, if only. C/C+

Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:48 am
Profile YIM
---------

Why does that poster have "basterds" spelled correctly?

Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:29 pm
Child Actor

I think at one point the movie went with the proper spelling of both words but later changed it. That teaser poster came out like a year ago.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:13 pm

I hate miss spelled things for advertising, it seems very silly.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:36 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I think I'm going to try to see this again this weekend. Although Tarantino's edits from the Cannes cut I saw certainly won't change much of the film (he omitted a whole minute of footage), maybe I'll enjoy it more now that I don't have sky-high expectations.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:08 pm
Profile YIM
Stanley Cup

thompsoncory wrote:
I think I'm going to try to see this again this weekend. Although Tarantino's edits from the Cannes cut I saw certainly won't change much of the film (he omitted a whole minute of footage), maybe I'll enjoy it more now that I don't have sky-high expectations.

or that you saw reviews and realized, hey i have to change my opinion because critics liked it?

Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:26 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Jim Halpert wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:

or that you saw reviews and realized, hey i have to change my opinion because critics liked it?

I'm baffled by how positive reviews are which makes me think I might have missed something the first time around. Is there something wrong with that? I've been saying since I saw it that I would like to give it another chance at some point.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:30 pm
Profile YIM

there's nothing wrong with altering your opinion if you realize that it was incorrect,
but doing it simply because everyone disagrees with you is dumb, although I don't think that's what your doing, so no worries.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:38 pm
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

A 9.4|10

phenomenal film, QT indeed makes another masterpiece, I want to see it again.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:16 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Magnus wrote:
Oh, and I forgot to add:

Christoph Waltz, who planned Col. Hans Landa, should be AT LEAST nominated for an Oscar if not win it. He gave one of the best villain performances of the decade.

Brad Pitt also was damn good. You could tell he was having fun with the role, and he brought you along for the ride.

Agreed. They were the two best parts of the movie. Waltz won the Actor award at Cannes so he's definitely a contender.

And I really disliked the character of Shoshanna - she was so poorly developed that it was hard to care about her, and in my opinion weakened the effect of the finale.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:49 am
Profile YIM
i break the rules, so i don't care

I agree with Magnus, though I really loved Shoshanna's story. I loved the clever use of fonts in the credits and chapters as well.

A

This movie is in some ways very similar to Kill Bill vol 2.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:53 am
We had our time together

The film had some pretty great scenes, Waltz was almost as good as you can read everywhere and I wasn't bored for a second. But overall the film lacked something. While I appreciated the single chapters, it didn't worked as a whole. B+

Bumsti

:cool:

Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

As long as Tarantino has been talking about a WWII movie, there were some notions that it would be the ultimate action film. Back then, there were rumors that Stallone and Schwarzenegger (in Nazi garb) would have a ten minute slug fest; that Bruce Willis and a whole slew of 80s action heroes would team up for one action rampage. Somewhere over the years that project morphed into The Expendables, but c'mon now, Tarantino's WWII movie was never going to be another Saving Private Ryan.

Instead, what we have here are five delicious chapters, two of which could practically be stage productions. Tarantino has always been great with individual scenes, and the first and fourth sections of this film are a fine demonstration of dialogue as a builder of suspense. The assured framing and terrific Morricone score make the movie's running time fly by.

I wouldn't fault one for pointing out how sorely underused most of the Basterds are. For that matter, he was a fool thinking his protege Eli Roth could act. Then there's the anarchic ending, which is going to divide plenty of people. I found it to be outlandish, kinda wonderful wish fulfillment.

This isn't going to be the film that makes you change your opinion on Tarantino. For my money, it proves he's got plenty more to say and show yet.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:11 pm
Cream of the Crop

moviedude, you are quite a fool if you think that tarantino thinks that eli roth can act. btw i think that this film is even better than kill bill, i havent been this euphoric after a film since i dont know when. i am forced to rate this film an A.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:25 pm
Profile ICQ
Extraordinary

inglorious bastards

I was really looking forward to watching this film and after doing so I'm underwhelmed in this Tarantino effort.

I thought the film was long, the story somewhat interesting, only a couple characters really appealed to me, not nearly as gory or bloody as I was under the impression it would be, not very impressed with Pitt's role (I wish he had been shot), disappointed that Novak and the freeks n geeks guy didn't get to do much more with there roles (give'em a death scene or something).

I did enjoy Shoshanna's splice of her film at the end and her laughing as the film scorched the screen. I enjoyed the german actresses character, the jew hunter and frederick. The opening sequence I liked very much. It was very tense and had a good tone. Didn't care for the whole Pitt speech to the IB recruits. The bat scene was intense. His accent not so hot (both Pitt and the bat boy).

The best part for me was in the bar where the shootout took place. The most uninteresting were anything with Hitler and Goebbels besides them being pumped full of lead at the end.

I really hated how QT re-hashed music he did from KB. Maybe it's just me but that music he selected for KB was classic and it's a part of KB now so to use parts of it in this film was very unoriginal to me. I also didn't like the freeze frame name intro for Goebbels just like he did in KB again. That was again unoriginal to be doing that.

Overall, I didn't dislike the movie because it did have some moments but it certainly wasn't the effort or film that I was expecting.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:40 pm
Extraordinary

Magnus wrote:
Oh, and I forgot to add:

Christoph Waltz, who planned Col. Hans Landa, should be AT LEAST nominated for an Oscar if not win it. He gave one of the best villain performances of the decade.

Brad Pitt also was damn good. You could tell he was having fun with the role, and he brought you along for the ride.

I would agree with your thought on Waltz. He gives the most interesting performance and memorable one. TBH, I almost wished he got away with what he did scot free.

Pitts character was just a toon to me.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:48 pm
Deshi Basara

This may be my favorite movie of 2009 so far. It's a beautiful film in every sense. It hits right on so many notes that even though I could find fault if I really tried hard, I'm too happy after seeing it that I'd rather not. For comparison sake, District 9 and Watchmen would be somewhere in my top 5 of the year as well.

Agree absolutely about the performance of the lead villain deserving an Oscar.

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:14 am
The Lubitsch Touch

It's entertaining, mostly. But it's a mess, the final product clearly a rush job (ironic considering how long he sat on this), and the seams show. Oh, do they show.

Disappointing.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:47 am
Extraordinary

yoshue wrote:
It's entertaining, mostly. But it's a mess, the final product clearly a rush job (ironic considering how long he sat on this), and the seams show. Oh, do they show.

Disappointing.

Thank God for you. No, really.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:49 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

His use of the Cat People theme made me LOL.

I guess that made more sense when Natassja Kinski was supposed to be in the film?

Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:58 am
Extraordinary

Perhaps Quentin Tarantino will never top his debut masterpiece.

I'm sad to report that Inglourious Basterds is yet another step down in Tarantino's slow descent in quality of each of his subsequent films after his brilliant Reservoir Dogs.

Sure... the slide has been gradual, to the point of infinitesimal at times, but it is a downward slide nonetheless.

As much as I enjoyed the alternative history parlayed in IB, I never became entirely ensnared in it's narrative.

As hilarious as several scenes may have been, I couldn't achieve the psychic bellylaugh that QT seemed to be shooting for.

I saw the wink, but couldn't quite close my eye to the manufactured nature of it.

Despite all that, it's better than many trumpeted films this year. Tarantino's fall from grace is the equal of many directors' soaring achievement. The exposed dialogue language management alone is worth the price of admission. Quentin's worst, so far, still rates a solid:

:zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:02 am
Stanley Cup

it's a fantastic film, simply fantastic. the problem is there is no way he will ever do anything as brilliant as reservoir dogs and nearly brilliant as pulp fiction. still, i truly loved it.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:09 am
Leader of the Pack

I fucking hate Tarantino and his film making style with a passion unlike any other. I don't want to get into why because I could only defend myself thoroughly in a verbal discussion. I will say though that I was supposed to write a review for this movie, but after seeing it, decided to step away and let someone else do it. I am way too biased to give a critical analysis of this film and it would not be fair to any readers to hear me rant about how much I despise Tarantino in anything other than a column. But since I will not write about why I hate him, I won't even do a column.... I believe there is a podcast in the near future though... :D

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:39 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Perhaps Quentin Tarantino will never top his debut masterpiece.

I'm sad to report that Inglourious Basterds is yet another step down in Tarantino's slow descent in quality of each of his subsequent films after his brilliant Reservoir Dogs.

Sure... the slide has been gradual, to the point of infinitesimal at times, but it is a downward slide nonetheless.

As much as I enjoyed the alternative history parlayed in IB, I never became entirely ensnared in it's narrative.

As hilarious as several scenes may have been, I couldn't achieve the psychic bellylaugh that QT seemed to be shooting for.

I saw the wink, but couldn't quite close my eye to the manufactured nature of it.

Despite all that, it's better than many trumpeted films this year. Tarantino's fall from grace is the equal of many directors' soaring achievement. The exposed dialogue language management alone is worth the price of admission. Quentin's worst, so far, still rates a solid:

:zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

You have by and far the weirdest fucking grade for this movie, damn near giving it a perfect grade for a movie that based on your review, you had alot of problems with it.. It's OK bradley if you didn't quite enjoy Tarrantino's masterpiece, but giving it whatever the hell it is you gave this at 4 out of 5 smiley or mad, sleepy faces indicating you loved it is absurd..

Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:15 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next