Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Dark City 

What grade would you give this film?
A 85%  85%  [ 11 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

Dark City 
College Boy Z

Post Dark City
Dark City

Quote:
Dark City is a 1998 neo noir science fiction film directed by Alex Proyas. It was adapted from a screenplay written by Proyas, David S. Goyer and Lem Dobbs. The film stars Rufus Sewell, William Hurt, Kiefer Sutherland, and Jennifer Connelly. Sewell plays John Murdoch, a man suffering from amnesia who finds himself accused of murder. Murdoch attempts to discover his true identity to clear his name while on the run from the police and a mysterious group known only as the "Strangers". Dark City asks the question of what it means to be human, and explores the relationship between memory and personal identity in an attempt to answer it.

The majority of the film was shot at Fox Studios Australia. It was jointly produced by New Line Cinema and Mystery Clock Cinema. New Line Cinema and New Line Home Video commercially distributed the theatrical release and home media respectively. The studio was concerned that the audience would not understand the film and asked Proyas to add an explanatory, voice-over narration to the introduction. The film premiered in the United States on February 27, 1998, competing against James Cameron's blockbuster Titanic. Dark City performed poorly at the U.S. box office during its initial release and received mixed reviews.

Following its screening in wide cinematic release, the film was nominated for the Hugo and Saturn Awards. With the help of Roger Ebert and home screenings, the film has since become a cult classic. In the years since its original theatrical release, critical and scholarly reviews have reevaluated the significance of Dark City with positive reviews. A director's cut was released in 2008, restoring and preserving Proyas's original artistic vision for the film.

Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:44 pm
Cream of the Crop

I recommend this movie if you liked The Matrix, but didn't the sequels 'cause you heard that they sucked. Many parts of the two sequels were obviously inspired by Dark City, so by watching this good movie, you can determine what the sequels are about without actually having to watch them.

Actually, I recommend you see Dark City even if you did see the sequels.

"How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Got a, got a compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Working on, working on that for quite some time?"

Battle of the 2005 movies - Vote Now!

Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Great film. Very noir and stylish. The ending goes off on a tangent a bit, but the rest is classic stuff. Definitely the inspiration for The Matrix.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:43 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Great movie even with the ending, maybe a little weak, and Keifer Sutherland.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

To be honest, I have never seen this movie. I always wanted to, but never did. I need to add this to movies I need to rent. :)

Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:08 pm
Kypade

l picked it up cuz it was only 5.50, and l'd heard it was good...very good movie. right up there with the matrix...A

Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:37 pm
Extraordinary

A superb sci-fi film. I loved it, everything about it. Watching this film makes me wish that Proyas had been allowed to be more daring with I, Robot.

He might have produced a classic like this one will be (or is already).

Great film, I strongly recommend it to any who likes sci-fi or film-noir. The film works perfectly well as both, as well as a thriller. Actually, if you're just a plain movie fan, go watch it.

A

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:15 am
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

This is why I love Alex Proyas movies. Despite its unsuccessful run, Dark City is one of my favorite cult classic. Its like something out of art school and a comic book

A

9.2/10

Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:46 pm
Squee

This was a very good movie. The only real problem I had is that the ending seemed off... It turned into like an action movie, just didn't feel right.

Anyway: ***1/2

:glare:

Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:52 pm
Sbil

Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:04 pm
loyalfromlondon

After seeing this again, I can appreciate it even more. One of the most stylish, intriguing, and fiercely original films I've ever seen. The production design is top-notch, and the effects are impressive, if not overtly flashy. Strong performances from the cast, especially Kiefer Sutherland as the anti-Jack Bauer, and a thought-provoking story. The happy ending doesn't quite fit, but I'll let that slide. One of my all-time favourites.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:48 pm
College Boy Z

It's great. Stylish sci-fi flick with some great performances.

Ending's a bit off from the rest of the film, though.

A-

Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:23 pm
Homo Dperious

9.1/10 - A+

Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:27 am
Profile ICQ
Forum General

It was very cool, but I found it to be a bit of a let-down after all the Ebert hooplah.

Style-over-substance, I remember thinking, actually.

B

Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:14 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

I wasn't blown away, but it's an interesting, unique, and ceaselessly clever mess of a narrative. Oh yeah, and it's really pretty to look at. B

Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:40 am
htm

I would say perfection... until the ending. Not that it was bad, but, like others have said, a bit too "action"ish. Still a strong A.

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:41 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

It was great...until the end. It just went so far off course unfortunately. Still, a good movie but it could have been a lot better. I think its real strength was in its potential subject matter as it is quite interesting -- what makes us human? Are we just the result of our memories? etc...

But there were problems with the film. The editing was off, the style was sometimes too dark for its own good and the acting really was not that great, especially from Sutherland and Seawell.

Not a bad film, enjoyable until the end. B+

Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:53 am
Killing With Kindness

B+

Interesting watch........

Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:04 am
Profile WWW
htm

If you haven't seen Dark City but would like to, the whole film is up on youtube with decent quality. If anything, get a taste of it. It's a fantastic treat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHh0BUm69ac

Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:00 am
Mod Team Leader

There were three films that were in theme, Matrix, Dark City, and 13th Floor. All are an A....including this one. Fantastic film.

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Roger Ebert listed this as the Best Film of 1998, topping Saving Private Ryan and others. It is only one of two films he has done a DVD commentary track for (the other being Citizen Kane).

Not that it means much, but I thought that was interesting.

I liked the film when I saw it but it hasn't stayed with me all these years, and I'm not sure I could even summarize the plot now...

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Roger Ebert listed this as the Best Film of 1998, topping Saving Private Ryan and others. It is only one of two films he has done a DVD commentary track for (the other being Citizen Kane).

Not that it means much, but I thought that was interesting.

I liked the film when I saw it but it hasn't stayed with me all these years, and I'm not sure I could even summarize the plot now...

He's also done a commentary for Casablanca and his own film Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. Both are great listens.

As for Dark City, unlike say a 300, this is a visual masterpiece with a backbone and heart to it.

A+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Dark City
I thought it was a pretty fabulous sci-fi trip. I liked it a lot more than The Matrix and Blade Runner actually.

The look is great, but I also loved the questions of memory, what is human?, and general existentialism that it brought up. In that sense I thought the villians' motive was probably one of the most ingenious I've seen in a film. It makes all kind of sense, really. I don't get how a lot of critics could label this as "style over substance"... there's a LOT of meat to dig into here, I mean the movie is about exploring what humanity is. I mean even the spiral symbol alone can offer philosophical depth, Ebert mentions on the commentary it represents the chaos theory and how one disturbance to the circle like Murdoch can disrupt everything; it also represents how the people in the dark city can only go in circles and never get out, a philosophy that can be applied to life in general...

I liked how Jonathan discovers the world around him and the mystery of his own life just as we do. We live it through his perspective, and learn as he does. My favorite parts of the film were the first act with Jonathan trying to figure out what he is and what is going on.

I do agree that the "showdown" is maybe a bit too big in the context of the film, but it didn't really hurt my enjoyment of the film that much. The scene after where Mr. Hand finds John helps balance it out by being one of my favorites in the movie, I also thought the sun coming up over the city and him walking out into the sun and meeting Anna worked too.

Maybe one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen.

5/5

Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:54 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: Dark City
In retrospect, it's hard to understand how completely the world overlooked one of the most visually audacious movies to come along in ages. I blame Rufus Sewell.

Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]