Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 17 Again 

What grade would you give this film?
A 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
B 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
C 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

17 Again 

Post 17 Again
17 Again

Quote:
17 Again is a 2009 American comedy film directed by Burr Steers. It stars Zac Efron as an adult father, played by Matthew Perry, who becomes 17 year-old high school student again. The film was released in the United States on April 17, 2009.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:20 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: 17 Again
I had a lot to say but I'm tired and it's slipping out. This really is a good film, the director did a pretty great job with a very average and syrupy script, and the acting all around is solid. I wish I'd seen more of perry, but efron filled in just fine (believe it or not) and was considerably better here than we've seen him before. It's certainly not a great movie but in an abstract way it reminds of Mamma Mia, it was corny and predictable and at parts quite lame, but it was just soo much fun!
7.5/10

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:35 am
Extraordinary

A very pleasant surprise since I wasn't really expecting anything... Efron was actually pretty good in this.

I think the only thing that really bothered me was the sub-plot with the daughter... Ugh!

Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:23 am

publicenemy#1 wrote:
A very pleasant surprise since I wasn't really expecting anything... Efron was actually pretty good in this.

I think the only thing that really bothered me was the sub-plot with the daughter... Ugh!

agreed, she was really annoying, and kinda freaky, :grrr:

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:39 am
Extraordinary

17 AGAIN

041809@1825
almost 100% full

Land of the Lost - looks very good
some genetic cloning flick with Abigail Breslin. looked sick at first but kind of grew on me.
forgot the other

Audience was full of teenage girls and school girls and parents and a few older couples I guess, so this was a very family oriented audience. Thankfully, there was no insane screaming when Zac Efron appeared for the first time in the beginning.

I thought the movie was okay. It wasn't as good as something like Freaky Friday was but it had it's moments. I didn't much care for Matthew Perry as his role was very limited and he doesn't look that good either. His buddy at the beginning of the film is extremely hilarious. You'll know him from Reno 911 as the main cop always wearing the short shorts. He was insane in most of his scenes. He and the principal were outrageous. I think anytime Zac was in the school setting the film was pretty good but when it got back to him and his wife (Leslie Mann who was underused I think) then the movie slowed down for me. Although, the end at court was pretty good and the end end deja vu moment was good too. Overall, I think it was worth a gander to see once, but I doubt I'd own this on dvd.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:46 am
Sbil

Bland and generic, the only reason to see 17 Again is (perhaps surprisingly enough) Zac Efron, who displays an effortless and easygoing charm. Unfortunately, the filmmakers forgot to develop his character enough to an extent that we actually care. Poor Leslie Mann is wasted in a role that doesn't allow her to be funny, Michelle Trachtenberg is woefully underused and Thomas Lennon's subplot is irritating. This movie isn't bad. But it is incredibly pedestrian and could've used more of an edge considering it had a PG-13 rating and everything. C

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:35 pm
Forum General

I'm surprised out of everyone here who has seen it, Libs if the first person who didn't think it was very good.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

Zac Efron shines in this formulaic and overly coincidental revamping of Big and so many other films like it. The film is a lot of fun, with a freshly written script and fantastic cast. Efron is support by a great comedic cast that is given even screen time and enough material to really shine. Leslie Mann is fantastic and a scene stealer - but really this show belongs to Efron. If you had a distaste for him before this it will be lost because he really proves his acting chops. He has great comedic timing and really took note of Matthew Perry's facial expressions, voice, etc... to really embody a younger him. He does a great job and this is a great vehicle to showcase his acting chops. He really does a great job. While the story isn't anything new, it's well done and really pretty funny. Again it's quite cliched but you're always entertained. Audience ate it up. B+

Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:39 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Hasn't the whole "Switching bodies with the parents" been done already and what separates this from the other films involving this sort of plot??? :-k

Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:34 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

MR. GREEN wrote:
Hasn't the whole "Switching bodies with the parents" been done already and what separates this from the other films involving this sort of plot??? :-k

It has nothing to do with switching bodies with a parent.

It's about a 35 year old who suddenly starts appearing as his 17 year old self, like Big in reverse.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:42 am
Extraordinary

Quite cute, quite sweet, quite funny.

That's not a bad triumvirate of quiteness, though I was feeling a bit of a diabetic coma coming on at about the three-quarter point when the sweetness temporarily went into overdrive. Zac Efron held his own in the lead role here, though I still find it hard to imagine how long his career will go on. And then Thomas Lennon was great as the comic sidekick - - without his role this movie would have been an also ran like 13 Going On 30. Then I felt sorry seeing Michelle Trachtenberg in such a measly supporting role - - I expected bigger things for her career.

Quite good.

:zzz: :mad: :) out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:46 pm
Forum General

I thought it was really cute.

7/10 ( B )

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:06 am
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm actually surprised this is getting such strong reviews. It's fairly by-the-numbers and every aspect of it has been seen before. The screenplay is incredibly cheesy and features some moments of truly cringe-worthy dialogue. But it's a cute enough teen flick if you can let that go - it has a few laughs (the subplot with Thomas Lennon and Melora Hardin was hilarious), strong performances and its heart in the right place. The real reason to see it (and why most people will end up going in the first place) is Zac Efron, who delivers a breakout performance here and is actually incredibly charismatic and charming. I completely bought his portrayal and was impressed with his handling of the more dramatic moments near the end as well. Leslie Mann was a decent female lead, but Michelle Trachtenberg is kind of embarrassing in her supporting role (she has one scene that is quite possibly one of the most awkward things I've ever seen) and Matthew Perry is in the movie for about ten minutes tops. It's worth a rental, but I'd pass on seeing this theatrically. The concept has definitely been handled better in other films of this sort. C+

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:07 am
Profile YIM
i break the rules, so i don't care

C

I was bored.

Sun May 03, 2009 9:34 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I found it to be alot of fun. Efron is great and not surprised, outside of the anodyne High School Musical series the man is a solid actor so its good to see him having a film to display his skills.

That said Michelle Tracthenburg is still bloody annoying because of her voice (I say this as a Buffy fan that loves S5)(And I still find her insanely attractive)...........ack..............the dilemma!

Anyhoo good film me enjoy.

Thu May 07, 2009 6:14 pm
Wallflower

Very enjoyable. It's nothing new, but it works. Zac Efron was great and very charismatic. I have to say, I really don't have a problem with this guy. He seems like a likable person in real life, and from what I can tell he does have some talent. I also really liked Leslie Mann here. I found the movie quite cute and sweet myself. It gets by pretty much entirely on Efron's winning performance.

Anyway, it's harmless entertainment.

Grade: 7/10 ( B )

Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:51 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Its a wonderful addition to the "What if?" genre. Leaving his douchey role in High School Musical, Zac Efron puts in a suprisingly fun performance as the young Mike. Other parts to the enjoyable cast would be Leslie Mann, Thomas Lennon, and Matthew Perry. The story is one of the more original ones for the year so far and it is a great joy to watch. While it may not reach the heights of "Big", 17 Again is a very strong addition to the genre. B

Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:56 am
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

Zac Efron is yummy. But that's just not enough.

C+

Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:24 pm
Horror Hound

B!

This was surprisingly raunchy and had some swears. loves it.

Zac Efron....his eyes ACTUALLY twinkle! love!

I loved Naomi....especially when she gets hit with the basket ball. hah.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:47 am
We had our time together

A very pleasant surprise. B

Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:30 am
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

yuck

Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:51 pm
You must have big rats

I watched this on a plane because there was little else to choose form that I haven't seen already and was willing to watch on a minuscule screen. I had no expectations and rightfully so. It was just a very very average product doing nothing particularly extraordinary with a premise. To my surprise, Efron was actually quite decent and while Leslie Mann wasn't give much to work with, it's always a pleasure to see her on screen. Thomas Lennon, on the other hand, was annoying as hell and his subplot very unnecessary.

17 Again plays it by the numbers, never tries anything edgy or special and never aspires to be anything other than a run-of-the-mill fantasy comedy that should appeal to the legions of Efron fans.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]