Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 X-Men Origins: Wolverine 

What grade would you give this film?
A 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 9 ]
C 31%  31%  [ 12 ]
D 21%  21%  [ 8 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 39

Post X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Quote:
X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a 2009 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics' fictional character Wolverine. The fourth installment in the X-Men film series, it was released worldwide on May 1, 2009. The film is directed by Gavin Hood and stars Hugh Jackman as the title character, along with Liev Schreiber, Danny Huston, Will.i.am, Lynn Collins, Dominic Monaghan, Taylor Kitsch, Daniel Henney, Kevin Durand and Ryan Reynolds. The film acts as a prequel/spin-off for the X-Men trilogy, focusing on the violent past of the mutant Wolverine and his relationship with his half-brother Victor Creed. The plot also details Wolverine's early encounters with Major William Stryker, his time with Team X, and the bonding of Wolverine's skeleton with the indestructible metal adamantium during the Weapon X program.

The film was mostly shot in Australia and New Zealand, with Canada also serving as a location. Production and post-production were troubled, with conflicts arising between director Hood and Fox's executives, and an unfinished workprint being leaked on the Internet one month before the film's debut. Reviews for X-Men Origins: Wolverine were mixed, with critics considering the film and its screenplay uninspired, but praising Hugh Jackman's performance. It opened at the top of the box office, and has grossed $179 million in the United States and Canada and over $373 million worldwide.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:13 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Post Re: X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Ahahahaha!

Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:25 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

MovieDude wrote:
Ahahahaha!

Was it really that bad?? :-k

Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:34 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

That's not why he's laughing!

Hugh Jackman can't catch a break.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:38 am
Team Kris

Does Ryan Reynolds' face get eaten by cancer in this movie?

Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:50 am
"no rank"

I'd say its on par with X3, maybe slightly worse because it doesn't have as much action.

So yeah, pretty bad.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:47 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

No, thank you! I'd prefer to wait and see X-Men Origins: Wolverine the way it was meant to be seen.

Cable television in the year 2011.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:52 pm
Sbil

Christ, this was already leaked?

I would say this might dramatically hurt the movie's box office prospects. But if we go by the most recent example of a high-profile film being leaked online early (Taken), then Wolverine appears set to gross $900 million at the box office.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:53 pm
"no rank"

My favourite part was will.i.am channeling George Jefferson in virtually every scene

I should start a list of things they ruined

Deadpool
Emma Frost
Gambit
Cyclops
The Blob
Sabretooth
Jonathan and Martha Kent
Blade II
Meriadoc Brandybuck
That Asian guy
Dubaku

Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:04 pm
How did Cyclops fit in there?

Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:08 pm
"no rank"

Malcolm wrote:
How did Cyclops fit in there?

Stryker is making a Frankenstein mutant starting with his son Deadpool because he accidentially killed his wife. Cyclops has super duper explosive vision which is one of the traits Stryker wants in his creation Weapon 11, I mean Weapon XI.

Weapon XI can also teleport, has sharp blades, heal wounds, flip alot.

But the one thing he can never do is...love

Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:17 pm
Devil's Advocate

Wait, you're saying the director of Rendition Gavin Hood wasn't a good choice for this project? I would've never guessed.

I mean say what you want about Marc Forster being chosen for Quantam, but with him you can at least see the studio presuming he's a solid director with his Monster's Ball/Finding Neverland Oscar success and Stranger Than Fiction being a hit, even if they were wrong on that presumption. But Gavin Hood? Where did that come from?

Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:46 pm
Begging Naked

Shack wrote:
Wait, you're saying the director of Rendition Gavin Hood wasn't a good choice for this project? I would've never guessed.

I mean say what you want about Marc Forster being chosen for Quantam, but with him you can at least see the studio presuming he's a solid director with his Monster's Ball/Finding Neverland Oscar success and Stranger Than Fiction being a hit, even if they were wrong on that presumption. But Gavin Hood? Where did that come from?

Tsotsi did win as many Oscars as any other Marc Forster film.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Who the fuck hires the director of a film like Tsotsi for an X-Men movie?

Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:10 pm
The Kramer

The opening credits were pretty awesome.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:09 pm
"no rank"

Flava'd wrote:

Yeah they were. Then it was all downhill from there.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:20 pm
The Kramer

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Flava'd wrote:

Sadly. Wait, mini-Wolvi did RAHHHHHHHHHHH before that. So it was like -\/-\

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:35 pm
Romosexual!

needed way more action. :( still going to see it in theaters for the missing fx.

loyalfromlondon wrote:
My favourite part was will.i.am channeling George Jefferson in virtually every scene

Jonathan and Martha Kent
That Asian guy
Dubaku

:lol:

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:29 am

/engage/

/decapitate/

Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:12 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

X-Men Wolverine

Contains massive spoilers

Let the summer begin. This is one hell of a ride and it certainly lives up to my expectations. Wolverine's story has always been an interesting one and this film, as it delves into all that we know about Logan and his Wolverine alter ego is simply fantastic. I am not a comic collector, so I knew absolutely nothing about Wolverine before seeing X-Men. Now here we are four movies later and he is easily one of the best heroes on screen.

We start off in the Northwest Territories in the 1800s. A young Logan murders his own father, not knowing of course that he is. As he runs out of the house, his brother catches up to him and tells him that they must look out for each other. They both have gifts that can't be explained. So, he and Victor do what they do best. They fight in every single war known in American history. How they got to enlist in the American army is kind of confusing since they are both Canadian, but I guess that doesn't really matter. Soon, General Stryker comes calling after they have both been executed by firing squad. He wants to start up a special unit of mutants. He takes them to Nigeria to search for some kind of rock that can turn one into an indestructible being. But of course, to benefit from this rock, one must have regenerating healing capabilities. Since Logan is the only one who does, the task at hand is to get him to agree to it. To do this, the military sets him up. They kill his girlfriend, and then they promise him that they can help him avenge her death by making him strong enough to go after Victor, his brother, who killed her.

Once he becomes Wolverine, the film really takes off. It was good up to this point, but it gets fantastic once he becomes the indestructible animal. Even though he always had the ability to regenerate, to heal quickly, this new government experiment seems to have enhanced his abilities to greater heights. He discovers that what was once wooden like claws that came out of his hands, are now razor sharp and steel that can cut metal. He was able to survive wars, firing squads, great falls, and so much more. But now that he has been experimented on, eveything seems to be enhanced.

Soon he is on the hunt for his brother and this takes him to meet Gambit and all kinds of other mutants. The final showdown takes place on "Mutant Island" and it does not disappoint.

X-Men Origins Wolverine is action packed from start to finish. The ending is especially satisfying as Professor X makes an appearance and you get to see some of the young mutants who will eventually appear in the three X-Men films. I found the story to flow and I enjoyed the performances of Jackman and Live Schreiber immensely. Gavin Hood, whose only other Hollywood credit is Rendition with Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhal, does a masterful job keeping the action rolling, the fights exhilarating and the performances crisp and accurate. I don't know much about Mr. Hood, but I think he might get a lot more work after this film.

Seeing as I do not know anything about the Wolverine lore or the story I went into this just looking for a good time and something to keep me entertained. If the X-Men loonies have something to complain about, it goes over my head. This is a perfect film to kick off the summer and if the rest of the summer films of 2009 are anything near as good as this, we'll be in for a great 4 months.

9/10

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:24 am
The Lubitsch Touch

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Flava'd wrote:

X-Men Origins: Watchmen

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:21 pm
Commander and Chef

one of the hardest things in judging this film is that the score is not added in yet. it pretty much used the entire score fo transformers, that didn't fit, killed the flow.

the writing is horrible too but i think a lot of editing and flow issues could be fixed by actually making a proper score for the movie instead of using transformers like they intentionally did for the working print.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:41 pm
Profile WWW

loyalfromlondon wrote:

Deadpool
Emma Frost
Gambit
Cyclops
The Blob
Sabretooth
Jonathan and Martha Kent
Blade II
Meriadoc Brandybuck
That Asian guy
Dubaku

Let me ask this: Is there POSSIBLY a logical explanation as to WHY Sabertooth is only like 5 foot 9 in this movie and over 7 feet tall in the 1st X-MEN movie?? This has really bugged me for awhile how they plan on explaining this..

Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:49 am
Profile WWW
"no rank"

I can tell you with almost complete certainty that Dan is wrong. But I like him so I opted not to tear his review apart.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:54 am

loyalfromlondon wrote:
I can tell you with almost complete certainty that Dan is wrong. But I like him so I opted not to tear his review apart.

Geeze, I guess so with a damn near perfect grade for the movie from him as though the movie he's reviewing isn't the same movie as you reviewed, BY A MILE.. :funny:

Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:57 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next