Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Push 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
C 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
D 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
F 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 13

Push 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Push
Push

Quote:
Push is a 2009 American science fiction thriller film directed by Paul McGuigan. The film stars Chris Evans, Dakota Fanning, Camilla Belle, Cliff Curtis and Djimon Hounsou. The film centers on a group of people born with various superhuman abilities who band together in order to take down a government agency that is using a dangerous drug to enhance their powers in hopes of creating an army of super soldiers.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:30 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Push
This is either a work of genius by an idiot, or a work of idiocy by a genius - - I'm not sure it even matters much either way...

Yow! The lazy screenplay veered from a thoroughly cruel meanness to an almost proud display of stupidity to even the odd clever bit. Unfortunately, any possible positive outcomes of any of that are quashed by the bad, bad actin' goin' on here! Aging child star, Dakota Fanning, actually was more frightening me than anything else tonight. And Chris Evans underplays his character to the point of transparency. The rest of the cast have all been better in almost everything they've done before.

Director Paul McGuigan, who earlier surprised with the razor sharp Lucky Number Slevin, here sadly seems to be trying to recreate the movie Stay based solely on a drunken flashback.

Push is frankly nothing more than a rather unpleasant night at the movies.

:zzz: out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:52 am
College Boy Z

Wow, didn't even realize that the director of Lucky Number Slevin made this. I really liked that.

Anyway, I got dragged to Push tonight, expecting it to be pretty lame but a decent time killer or something. Needless to say, once the two absolutely insane asian men starting screaming, I wanted to walk out.

Terrible.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:44 am
Orphan

Anyone know what the budget is for this? From the previews, it looks surprisingly cheap for a major Hollywood production. Does that hold true for the film as a whole?

Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:50 am
Team Kris

What a complete and utter piece of trash Push turned out to be. I wasn't anticipating anything great by any means, but this was much worse than I could have predicted. I must start off with how bad Dakota Fanning is in this. Her character is so annoying by trying to be some hardass 13 year old little girl. The chemistry between her and Evans is non-existant and they both mope around the entire movie. No comedy between them, just static. Then we get to the "action" scenes which are IMO some of the worst ever put on film. You could basically see the wires being used (esp when the two guns are floating in mid-air).

Do yourself a favor and do not see this movie

D-

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Pretty bad. Nothing is ever really adequately explained and the action sequences are never enthralling, to say the least. The film is also way too freaking long at nearly 2 hours.

Grade - D

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:44 am
You must have big rats

Oh boy...THAT bad?

Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

wow really, and I was almost gonna watch this yesterday

Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It ain't no Aeon Flux...

Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:46 pm
Killing With Kindness

Fewls

BJs Grade:

A-

genius.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

The "review" below sums up the movie perfectly, even if the reviewer didn't watch the whole thing; review's funny too:

http://foywonder.livejournal.com/153223.html

Quote:
I'm calling this a "sorta review" because I did something Friday that I haven't done in over a decade.

I walked out on a movie.

I pride myself on having the intestinal fortitude to sit through just about anything I pay good money to see theatrically, though Lord knows I've been tempted on many occasions to run screaming from the multiplex. I mean I didn't leave my seat during TOYS and ROBERTO BEGNINI'S PINOCCHIO and if ever there were two films that tested my soul... The last time I walked out on a movie was TARZAN AND THE LOST CITY back in 1998. I was so bored that bailed on it with only fifteen minutes remaining so that I could go get a headstart on some errands I had to run afterwards, and keep in mind this was a dollar theater matinee I skipped out on. I've only ever walked out of two other films prior to that. First time was AMOS & ANDREW; after a laughless half hour I decided to just go down the hall and get my money's worth watching ARMY OF DARKNESS for a third time. Then there was JERKY BOYS: THE MOVIE. That one sent me packing thanks to a combination of 45-minutes of anti-comedy and my feeling sick to my stomach. Two days after viewing half of JERKY BOYS: THE MOVIE I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a bacterial infection of the intestines. Coincidence?

I don't think I'll be diagnosed with any gastrointestinal issues after PUSH. It wasn't even god awful like some movies I've actually sat through from start to finish. I gave a seventy some odd minutes and it gave me nothing in return. I think the bigger problem here is that I've finally reached my saturation point when it comes to mediocre movies that don't try and don't care. My tolerance has waned for movies that are not good yet aren't stunningly bad or entertainingly bad, just uninteresting and dull in the most blah manner possible; movies that start off with all the potential in the world but fail to capitalize on their premise. I'm tired of it. I've noticed a plethora of such films I've had this reaction to in the last year whether it be theatrical, DVD, or Sci-Fi Channel releases. I'm over it. Much like with that ill-fated Casper Van Dien TARZAN flick, I decided I'd rather get a jump on some shopping I needed to do before going into work than wasting another 40+ minutes not caring about what happens in the end.

PUSH is merely JUMPER all over again only with less flash, a poorer pace, and a nothing story. Teleportation has been replaced by all manner of psionic powers. We're completely bombarded with all manner of mentally powered beings possessing the abilities to manipulate the minds of others, locate people telepathically, move objects with their minds, explode things with their screams, prognosticate the future, view a person's past by sniffing their personal objects, and so on. You got pushers, watchers, screamers, movers, shakers, bakers, candlestick makers, etc. All these superhuman means of mental manipulation but not one that could make me give a damn about anyone or anything I was watching on the screen.

With the exception of seeing Dakota Fanning pretend to be the lost punk rock Olsen Twin, every character is total bore. Chris Evans trades in his Human Torch FANTASTIC FOUR powers in favor of playing a character with the uncanny ability to suck the life out of every scene he's in. He and his scruffy facial hair are your standard superpowered reluctant hero on the run from a nefarious government agency that rounds up his kind to experiment on in hopes of creating an unstoppable army. He even watched his father get killed by them right before his eyes as a kid. Just like JUMPER, the authoritarian bad guy after him just happens to be the lone black actor in the cast.

Not a whole heck of a lot of action either before I gave up. There sure is a whole heck of a lot of talking (and drawing) about who they ought to go talk to next. No wonder the movie is titled PUSH; that's what you have to do to get the story to go anywhere - get out and push. Characters are constantly going from one place to another but the plot seemed to have no forward progress.

Someone else meets up with someone else and they have to go find someone else, but first they have to go meet with someone else who uses their psychic powers to give them a clue to take to someone else that can use their psychic powers on it to find the location of that someone else and then they find that someone else and have to take that someone else to someone else to keep that someone else safe while they go to meet up with the next someone else. And all these someone else's are within walking distance of one another in Hong Kong. After 70-minutes of this I finally reached the point where I decided I'd rather go do something else.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:21 am
Extraordinary

BJ wrote:
Fewls

BJs Grade:

A-

genius.

Can you expand on this? Perhaps a point or two on why it is genius? Thanx in advance...

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:04 am
Pure Phase

I rather enjoyed it. The twisty storyline is on the shallow side (dire use of a MacGuffin), but engaging. The acting is solid (Chris Evans is a charismatic, intense lead and Dakota Fanning shines in her role). And the visuals, including the Hong Kong locations, are vibrant and memorable. To be honest, I'm a tad surprised people are being so hard on this one. It surpassed my expectations and I was both entertained and satisfied. Another solid entry from the underrated Paul McGuigan.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:19 pm
Killing With Kindness

Gunslinger wrote:
I rather enjoyed it. The twisty storyline is on the shallow side (dire use of a MacGuffin), but engaging. The acting is solid (Chris Evans is a charismatic, intense lead and Dakota Fanning shines in her role). And the visuals, including the Hong Kong locations, are vibrant and memorable. To be honest, I'm a tad surprised people are being so hard on this one. It surpassed my expectations and I was both entertained and satisfied. Another solid entry from the underrated Paul McGuigan.

B+

:thumbsup:

Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
BJ wrote:
Fewls

BJs Grade:

A-

genius.

Can you expand on this? Perhaps a point or two on why it is genius? Thanx in advance...

1. the plot does indeed make sense
2. the acting is all around great
3. the concept is well executed

there is very little to dislike beyond the cookie cutter people with abilities against the gov. story that has been near run unto the ground now.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

BJ wrote:
Fewls

BJs Grade:

A-

genius.

Well You liked Taken....I didn't ask you to explain that.

Anyways OT this movie was perhaps the worst movie this year..I don't think it can get any lower. Honestly I hope I see some better movies coming out soon.

F

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

My god. I can't remember the last time I was so bored at the movies, let alone an action film. It's completely unengaging. The only positive thing that I can say about this film is that it could make for a decent comic book. There you don't have to worry about wooden acting, cheap special effects, and really poorly staged action sequences. As the movie went along it just got worse and worse. It started off on shaky ground with yet another "hero" losing his father, but then the movie just became boring way too quickly, especially with the action sequences. And I just couldn't help but laugh at the end when the Chinese mob boss got crushed from bamboo do to his own power. Great.

At least it had the good sense not end on a cliffhanger. I was worried the ending was taking us there kind of like with The Golden Compass. That would've been great though. At least they know they don't have a series here.

It's a piece of shit.

No Stars

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Aww. :( You all are being too hard on this cute lil sci-fi movie. ;)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:38 am
Extraordinary

redspear wrote:
Well You liked Taken....I didn't ask you to explain that.

My reviews, including the one for Taken, contain an explanation of the basis for my opinion, not just a word and a letter grade. I asked BJ for an expansion on his original post, and he graciously provided one. So what's got your panties all in a bunch, redspear?

Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:50 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

This movie has a few twists here and there and a few good action scenes but overall this flick does not meet the potential it had. The film felt so weird with Dakota Fanning playing a much different role than she usually does. I think she should wait a couple years before taking on another role like this. Chris Evans was alright and Djimon Hounsou was Djimon Hounsou (which isn't a bad thing). So in the end its a decent action flick that could have been alot better. Oh yeah, and Camilla Belle was fucking hot!

C+

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:29 pm
Profile WWW

if it had come to my theater I probably would've wasted the two hours to find out if it as bad as jumper, but since I would have had to pay, I am definitely going to spend anything other than time on it.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:50 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

It promotes under-age drinking so you get 13 year old Dakota Fanning getting smashed to "increase" her power clarity. I just can't dislike a film that does that.

Mon May 04, 2009 11:56 am
Wallflower

PUSH - 7/10 ( B )

Surprisingly entertaining. I was expecting it to suck and almost didn't watch it, but I'm glad I did. I'd heard a lot of people say how boring it was, and since I'm easily bored by action movies I was certain I'd agree. So it was pretty surprising how fun it ended up being. Not boring at all. I really liked both Chris Evans and Dakota Fanning here. I'd like to see a sequel.

Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:08 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

F

Ridiculous, incoherent and boring.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:28 am
loyalfromlondon

I actually sorta... liked it?

It's like X-Men meets Chungking Express, and whereas it's nowhere near as awesome as that combination sounds, I think it mostly works as a kind of superhero art film. The wooden acting, beautiful visuals, and convoluted storyline combine to make it into the true cinematic equivalent of a comic book, and that's more than can be said for most superhero movies.

I dunno, I really dug its style and tone and world. It works a lot better than Heroes and Jumper, for instance, and while it has its problems, it's nearly on par with the first X-Men.

And fucking Cliff Curtis, man. Somebody give this guy a leading role. He just oozes coolness.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next