Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Yes Man 

What grade would you give this film?
A 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
B 59%  59%  [ 13 ]
C 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22

Yes Man 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Yes Man
Yes Man

Quote:
Yes Man is a 2008 comedy film directed by Peyton Reed, written by Nicholas Stoller, Jarrad Paul and Andrew Mogel and starring Jim Carrey, Zooey Deschanel, Bradley Cooper, John Michael Higgins, Rhys Darby, Maile Flanagan, Danny Masterson, and Terence Stamp. The film is based loosely on the 2005 book Yes Man by British humourist Danny Wallace.

The film was a box office success despite receiving mixed reviews from critics. It was released on December 19, 2008, opening at #1 at the box office in its first weekend with $18.3 million and was then released on December 26, 2008 in the United Kingdom going straight to the top of the box office in its first weekend after release. Production for the film began in October 2007 in Los Angeles, CA.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:02 am
Sbil

Post Re: Yes Man
A slight but likable comedy. It's ultimately more of a romantic comedy than the advertising would lead on, which is fine by me, because the movie works primarily because of the pairing between Jim Carrey and Zooey Deschenal. These two actually click and the movie gives them a surprising amount of screen time in which they get to know each other. Carrey has some of his trademark zaniness in tune here but it's certainly not as prevalent as in some of his past films. This is a decent flick to watch around the holidays as an "escape" from the Oscars contenders and doom and gloom found in some of the other movies out. B

Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:35 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Why do we need as 'escape' from the Oscar contenders? Like, omfg, Benjamin Button, run! Look out behind you, it's Slumdog Millionaire! He's Indian, so hide your wallet!

Last edited by Johnny Dollar on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:38 am
Sbil

yoshue wrote:
Why do we need as 'escape' from the Oscar contenders? Like, omfg, Benjamin Button, run! Look out behind yoiu, it's Slumdog Millionaire! He's Indian, so hide your wallet!

I love "Oscar" movies as much as anyone else, but sometimes it's nice to see a movie in this time period which has no aspirations at being nominated for awards but is also entertaining and not, you know, The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:45 am
College Boy Z

It's hit-and-miss, but overall, pretty funny.

Zooey Deschenal is adorable as usual. And, while her and Jim Carrey had good chemistry, he just looked far. too. old. for her in the entire film.

All the scenes involving Norman were priceless.

Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:43 am
I'm Batman

It definitley has some moments, but it's not as funny as Carrey's other films. I've always liked Zooey and her voice is actually really good. Norman is probably the stand-out, the Harry Potter scene was great. Too much cheese in the "Jumper" scene and the final scene for me though.

- B

Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:58 am
Draughty

yoshue wrote:
Why do we need as 'escape' from the Oscar contenders? Like, omfg, Benjamin Button, run! Look out behind you, it's Slumdog Millionaire! He's Indian, so hide your wallet!

Because most of them are pretentious crap.

Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

You really gonna label things like Slumdog Millionaire and Milk and Australia and Benjamin Button pretentious? 'Cause that seems kinda stupid. They all seem relatively straightfoward and crowdpleasing.

I can't really get into the 'crap' part yet.

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:28 pm
Pure Phase

Light and inconsequential, but very entertaining. Jim Carrey is in top comedic form. His performance is charming and energetic, one of his best mainstream comedy roles to date. The gorgeous Zooey Deschanel shines as Carrey's love interest, while Kiwi comedian Rhys Darby steals scenes as his lovable dweeb of a boss.

My one notable beef with Yes Man: I wish it could have avoided the tired third act 'romantic crisis,' where intelligent characters let their love be threatened by a forced misunderstanding and unconvincing overreactions.

Otherwise, great fun. Recommended.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:59 pm
Orphan

Decent timewaster. Better than Fun with Dick and Jane but nowhere near the quality of Liar Liar or Dumb and Dumber as far as Carrey comedies go.

Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:53 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I liked it better than Liar Liar... and Dumb and Dumber is more of a straight comedy than this.

This is one of his better 'relationship comedies' he's had. Better than Bruce Almighty at least.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:11 am
The Lubitsch Touch

How does the gimmick work? If someone had said "Would you fucking stab this guy in the throat?" would he have to do it?

Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:12 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

yoshue wrote:
How does the gimmick work? If someone had said "Would you fucking stab this guy in the throat?" would he have to do it?

Yes. :sleep:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:14 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

So sort of like the gift/curse on Ella of Frell?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:17 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Corpse wrote:
So sort of like the gift/curse on Ella of Frell?

Give or take, yeah

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:19 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Someone should have asked him that. Or said "go see the really shitty Jim Carrey movie at the mall." That'd really test how far he was willing to go.

Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:22 am
Pure Phase

I wonder if yoshue wants to see the movie Yes Man.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:47 am
Cream of the Crop

I wonder if yosh, with its queeny snobbiness, has ever liked Jim Carrey.

Anyway, decent time killer and escape from more serious fare. Jim Carrey still knows how to make it work, and Zooey Deschanel is incredibly charming - definitely a step above her weird performance in The Happening.

Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:37 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

android wrote:
I wonder if yosh, with its queeny snobbiness, has ever liked Jim Carrey.

Certainly.

Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:58 pm
Forum General

I really enjoyed this. During parts of this I laughing really hard. There are a
few misses, and plot points that seem forced, but that's nitpicking, as Liar Liar
had those same problems and it's one of my favorite comedies ever. Ever since
being introduced to Zooey in Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy, I've pretty much
loved her in every movie I've seen her in, even if I didn't like the movie. Her
role in Failure to Launch stands out for me, absolutely hilarious.

The only thing I didn't like about this movie is that it very easily could have
been rated R, and younger kids probably shouldn't be taken to it, despite it's
PG-13 rating. There's a shocking amount of language for a PG-13 movie. It
almost seems like they edited it down just enough for the MPAA to give it a
PG-13, which they probably shouldn't have.

Regardless, very funny movie that I recommend if you want to laugh instead of
cry or think the holiday season. B+

Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:31 am
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

I really really really did not like this film. I like Jim a lot but this was just terrible. There was nothing original, and he was starting to get annoying very quickly.

probably a D...

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:33 am
Indiana Jones IV

I loved it. I was laughing hysterically throughout. I went with my dad on Xmas Eve, and he was grumbling because Benjamin Button wasn't out yet, and he didn't enjoy it very much, but I enjoyed every minute of it. My favorite scene by far was when Jim Carrey started singing "Jumper" to the suicidal guy. My only small problem was the very obvious age difference between Jim Carrey and Zooey Deschanel, as well as Jim Carrey and his two best friends.

B+

Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

Yeah, I'm tired of Carrey's shtick. Maybe with a movie that had more to it than its simple gimmick, I would've liked it more, but the movie didn't accomplish anything beyond what you could find in the trailer. It had a few nice sequences (the guitar singing to the guy on the ledge was the highlight), but overall I was just bored. By a mainstream comedy. Come on. Carrey is a great slapstick comedian, but he needs to put it to better use than this. And soon... you can see that he's starting to get a bit too old for this type of character to work.

C-

Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:49 am
Profile WWW
Top Poster

B-, a great tour of very familiar Los Angeles settings.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:19 am
Profile WWW
Artie the One-Man Party

Bradley's take is actually right on. It's a very pleasant movie, a lot of "nice" moments, but never that funny, never very original, never too surprising. Carrey and Deschanel are a pleasure to watch, but I kept thinking "Where are they hiding all the jokes?"

Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next