Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The Wrestler 

What grade would you give this film?
A 88%  88%  [ 30 ]
B 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 34

The Wrestler 
Extraordinary

Post The Wrestler
The Wrestler

Quote:
The Wrestler is a 2008 drama film directed by Darren Aronofsky, written by Robert D. Siegel, and starring Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei, Evan Rachel Wood, and Ernest Miller. Production began in January 2008 and Fox Searchlight Pictures acquired rights to distribute the film in the U.S.; it was released in a limited capacity on December 17, 2008 and was released nationwide on January 23, 2009. It was released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc on April 21, 2009 in the United States. It was released in the United Kingdom on June 1, 2009.

Rourke plays an aging wrestler who continues to wrestle matches in an attempt to cling on to his 1980s heyday despite his failing health, while also trying to mend his relationship with his estranged daughter and find romance with a stripper.

The film received wide critical acclaim and won the Golden Lion Award in the 2008 Venice Film Festival in August, where it premiered. Film critic Roger Ebert wrote it as one of the year's best films, while Rotten Tomatoes reported that 98% of critics gave the film positive reviews. For his role, Mickey Rourke went on to receive a BAFTA award, a Golden Globe award, an Independent Spirit Award, and an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. Tomei also received an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress for her performance.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:26 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Wrestler
A sad, engrossing and incredibly powerful film driven by a stunning performance from Mickey Rourke. He really becomes the character of Randy "The Ram" and makes the role incredibly hearfelt, humorous and often quite heartbreaking. There are so many scenes where the ferocity of his acting is sure to draw even the most cynical viewers to tears - namely a particularly effective sequence where he is reunited with his estranged daughter (Evan Rachel Wood). His tortured, down-on-his-luck character is simply trying to survive in a world that no longer seems to need him. Marisa Tomei is also great as a stripper in a similar life crisis, who finds a bond with Randy she doesn't fully understand. She convincingly makes the role sympathetic and almost haunting, and has a great, natural chemistry with Rourke. Wood is very good in her few scenes and is prominently featured in the film's most touching moment - her character serves as a good way for the audience to better understand Randy himself. I also really enjoyed seeing the profession of wrestling from an insider's perspective - it really makes you think about what goes into the profession and the kinds of people that participate in it compared to those that watch it for entertainment value. Many of the actual wrestling scenes are incredibly brutal and hard to watch - I had to turn away a few times. The direction from Darren Aronofsky is very naturalistic, with grainy handheld camerawork adding to the overall atmosphere. I also appreciated how the film never fell into convention - even when it seems that a cliched plot device might be used, Aronofsky takes the opposite route. It ultimately leads to one of the most powerful endings of the year - one that is both left open to interpretation and is also incredibly final in the way it is depicted. This is definitely one of the stronger films of the year, and a nice rebound for Aronofsky after the mess that was The Fountain. A-

Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:31 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

I'm actually a big fan of The Fountain and one of the few reasons why I actually wanted to see the movie which probably would not have been enough if it weren't for the buzz surrounding Mickey Rourke being a contender for Best Actor.

But, I was so happy to have my expectations completely shattered. I absolutely loved this movie. Rourke just pulls you in to this character he inhabits through and through and the journey is both very heartfelt and heartbreaking. It's deep and tugs at your heart but very subtly. It doesn't exploit your emotional investment. I don't think the film set out to appeal to a certain demo or even try to go after the lowest common denominator. It's as if it was written purely to tell this man's profoundly moving story and we're just lucky to bare witness to the craft and product that resulted.

A

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:35 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

thompsoncory wrote:
A sad, engrossing and incredibly powerful film driven by a stunning performance from Mickey Rourke. He really becomes the character of Randy "The Ram" and makes the role incredibly hearfelt, humorous and often quite heartbreaking. There are so many scenes where the ferocity of his acting is sure to draw even the most cynical viewers to tears - namely a particularly effective sequence where he is reunited with his estranged daughter (Evan Rachel Wood). His tortured, down-on-his-luck character is simply trying to survive in a world that no longer seems to need him. Marisa Tomei is also great as a stripper in a similar life crisis, who finds a bond with Randy she doesn't fully understand. She convincingly makes the role sympathetic and almost haunting, and has a great, natural chemistry with Rourke. Wood is very good in her few scenes and is prominently featured in the film's most touching moment - her character serves as a good way for the audience to better understand Randy himself. I also really enjoyed seeing the profession of wrestling from an insider's perspective - it really makes you think about what goes into the profession and the kinds of people that participate in it compared to those that watch it for entertainment value. Many of the actual wrestling scenes are incredibly brutal and hard to watch - I had to turn away a few times. The direction from Darren Aronofsky is very naturalistic, with grainy handheld camerawork adding to the overall atmosphere. I also appreciated how the film never fell into convention - even when it seems that a cliched plot device might be used, Aronofsky takes the opposite route. It ultimately leads to one of the most powerful endings of the year - one that is both left open to interpretation and is also incredibly final in the way it is depicted. This is definitely one of the stronger films of the year, and a nice rebound for Aronofsky after the mess that was The Fountain. A-

You know?? Alot of people give wrestlers shit about their profession, but if you watch the History of Pro Wrestling on like the A&E Channel, it shows that you really have to be in shape to do this sort of thing, (scripts aside) and these guys do get hurt and mess up on an occasion.. I'm looking forward to checking this out.. Still in limited release or what??

Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:27 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

yeah. only playing 4 theaters for the next week I believe. Two of them are near me, heh. ;-)

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:17 pm
Team Kris

This is a bold little film that made full use of Mickey Rourke's talent and willingness to go... dirty? (I mean, the wrestling scenes in the deathmatch ring with the barbed wires and shit made me cringe). It also did not romanticize and idealize the plight of the main character. He is a deeply flawed and sad person and while we may not agree with the choices and judgment calls Randy/Robin made, we understand them.

Marisa Tomei and Evan Rachel Wood did the best they could with their archetypal characters (stripper with a heart of gold and bitter daughter, respectively) and I wish there was more of them, quite frankly. Marisa Tomei's Pam/Cassidy especially because she was a nice counterpart to Randy: both showed how it is difficult to survive in a world where youth is cherished, even in the occupation you've grown accustomed to and are trying to pull away, but couldn't.

Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:04 pm
I'm Batman

Gritty, realistic, and touching this film shows the side of pro wrestling Vince McMahon did not want viewers to see. Rourke and Tomei have great chemistry, both trying to hang onto a profession that wants neither of them. The wrestling scenes were surprisingly very realistic, the match against Necro Butcher was brutal and the aftermath was cringe-worthy. The final scene is extremely sad with Ram realizing he'd rather die in the ring than live outside of it. Hopefully we can get some changes in professional wrestling starting with a pension for these guys so they don't have to kill themselves in front of a small crowd at the age of 50. The scenes with his daughter were good, if a little cliche. One of the most telling scenes was Ram at the legends signing and he looks around and sees the guys with things even worse than him.

- A-

Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:59 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

BacktotheFuture wrote:
Gritty, realistic, and touching this film shows the side of pro wrestling Vince McMahon did not want viewers to see. Rourke and Tomei have great chemistry, both trying to hang onto a profession that wants neither of them. The wrestling scenes were surprisingly very realistic, the match against Necro Butcher was brutal and the aftermath was cringe-worthy. The final scene is extremely sad with Ram realizing he'd rather die in the ring than live outside of it. Hopefully we can get some changes in professional wrestling starting with a pension for these guys so they don't have to kill themselves in front of a small crowd at the age of 50. The scenes with his daughter were good, if a little cliche. One of the most telling scenes was Ram at the legends signing and he looks around and sees the guys with things even worse than him.

- A-

Great Review this

As for me its one of the best of the decade, its like I was watching the fictional version of Beyond the Mat right down to the grimy aesthetic and hand held camera shooting. If they gave BD awards based on doing your homework on a subject then Aronofsky would walk away with it with ease. It layers the backdrop superbly and accurately, this is Wrestling away from the WWE flash and on the lonely forgotten Indy circuit. Rourke does a decent job with the in ring scenes, its mainly low flying mat wrestling very pre 1990 in style but that fits his character well. Its almost completely a Rourke show, Tomei and Evan Wood are rather brief inserts but its still a complete film if that makes sense (reading back it does not).

I really would encourage people to watch Beyond the Mat if they enjoy this, or even watch it before hand to get an appreciation of the work Aronofsky put in.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:23 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Rorschach wrote:
I'm a bit bias because wrestling holds a place in my heart still, but I enjoyed this film a lot. Rourke does a fantastic job, and the rest of the cast is solid (though Toemi doesn't deserve an Oscar). While the direction is restrained, its by any means "simple". The only issue I guess you can say is that its a bit too predictable, but this isn't a movie you watch for the plot.

A-

If anything that means you can pick up on and appreciate alot more of Aronofsky's detail.

Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:10 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Rorschach wrote:
Gulli wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
I'm a bit bias because wrestling holds a place in my heart still, but I enjoyed this film a lot. Rourke does a fantastic job, and the rest of the cast is solid (though Toemi doesn't deserve an Oscar). While the direction is restrained, its by any means "simple". The only issue I guess you can say is that its a bit too predictable, but this isn't a movie you watch for the plot.

A-

If anything that means you can pick up on and appreciate alot more of Aronofsky's detail.

True, but I watched this with three other people, one who was a wrestling fan like me and two who weren't. The one who was a fan enjoyed it as much as I did (if not more), but the other two didn't find it that special.

Makes sense, I mean alot of the best parts of the film are things a non wrestling fan would miss which is completely fine, if you don't like something you don't like it.

In essence for me its like if they made the perfect film about the last days of Jim Clark I would never expect a non motor racing fan to pick up on sections............................yes I wrote out a Jim Clark film in my head DON'T JUDGE ME!!

Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:24 pm
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

The Wrestler

The most incredible character study I've ever seen. Rourke gives the best lead acting performance of the year as Randy the RAM Robinson, one of the most famous, if not the most famous wrestler of the 1980's. The Wrestler takes place 20 years later, Randy is living in a van, because he can't even afford to keep up his payments for his mini trailer, working at a meat packing company during the week and still wrestling on the weekends, struggling just to stay alive with the little money he has. From the beginning throughout the rest of the film it's a sad story, as we see this man's life in a free fall and him unable to do anything about it. His body is starting to decay, as he fights [ and warning this isn't what most would consider wrestling, it's very brutal ] it's obvious all these years have taken a severe toll on his body. After suffering a heart attack in the locker room after a grueling fight, he is told by his doctor he can't wrestle anymore. Randy decides he's right and retires, canceling the upcoming fight against an old rival for a 20 year anniversary match. Randy's only true friend is Pam, [ Marisa Tomei ] who's a stripper at a local strip club where Randy attends on occasion. Which turns into somewhat of a relationship. She's referred to as Cassidy throughout most of the film, her stripper name. Tomei only adds to this incredible cast, she delivers a superb, compelling performance and definitely deserves the Oscar nomination she will get.

To add to Randy's sad story, he has a daughter in her 20's, who he has never had the chance to really get to know and be with. He tries to talk to her but out of hatred from him never being there with her as a child, she rejects him. Desperate to make things better with his daughter, he buys her a gift with assistance from Pam, which also is a key part in their relationship. Randy finally gets the opportunity to talk to his daughter, played by Evan Rachel Wood, who I think may have even done better than Tomei. But some things never change as Randy's habits lead to him messing up his relationship with his daughter once more. Soon after Randy gets back into wrestling for the anniversary fight. He has nothing left in life, his daughter is gone, Pam has rejected him, he can barely afford to survive, all he has is wrestling, it's all he's ever had. The last fight is such an emotional one, as Randy puts all his effort into it and you can't help but just feel so incredibly sad at the outcome. But while it may be undeniably sad, the ending is poignant, and it sums up Randy's life completely. The song at the end by Bruce Springsteen only adds to the sadness and greatness of this film. Best song of the year without question. Darren Aronofsky crafts one of the most heartbreaking, beautifully captured motion pictures of the year. Every pain Randy suffers you can feel.

The cast, perfection. The main song, best of the year. The Directing and script are also first class. Everything about this film is so mesmerizing, and actually very subtle. One of the most moving, and best films of the year.

A

Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:06 am

I should be able to get that review in the school newspaper, I'm very excited. :)

Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:07 am
Extraordinary

Ev@n wrote:
Randy's only true friend is Pam...

That is a debatable statement - - as a matter of fact, discovering the exact nature of their relationship is on of the key elements of the film...

Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:11 am
Extraordinary

One of the best performances of the last decade and thankfully the film can hold its own with Rourke's performance.

A

Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:41 pm
I'm Batman

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Ev@n wrote:

That is a debatable statement - - as a matter of fact, discovering the exact nature of their relationship is on of the key elements of the film...

I would say his only true friends are his fellow wrestlers.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:27 pm

I wouldn't. The only time he's ever with any of the wrestlers is when he's at a wrestling event. Not what I'd call a friend really.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:12 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

As an 80s wrestling fan I absolutely cant wait for this. Love the comments so far!

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:45 am
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Astonishingly good. When I first read the plot line I thought it would just be a dramatisation of the Jake the Snake story from Beyond The Mat, but he was very much an original character, albeit one drawn incredibly realistically from the wrestling world of the last few decades. Like Gulli said, Aronofski really did his research on this one. Either that or he's a closet die-hard uber-fan of wrestling. I mean, Ring of Fucking Honour!

A+

Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:35 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

BacktotheFuture wrote:
Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Ev@n wrote:

I would say his only true friends are his fellow wrestlers.

I'd say the ultimate conclusion the film makes is that he doesn't actually have any real friends or even much of a real life. He's spent years substituting them with the adulation of crowds, and in the end that's what he chooses to go out with.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:38 pm
Top Poster

A-, wow all 10 votes so far are A's with no B's, C's, or lower.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:07 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Alex Y. wrote:
A-, wow all 10 votes so far are A's with no B's, C's, or lower.

It's a hard movie not to like...

Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:02 am
Devil's Advocate

I've heard some rumors that Marisa Tomei is actually forty EIGHT. It's been said a lot of actresses cut 3-4 years off their age, for Tomei it'd work even better because she's always looked younger than she is. But even at 44... damn

Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:06 am
Artie the One-Man Party

A

The end of this film really makes the rest of it all the more brilliant. Rourke is amazing. Tomei is great as well, and at the very least deserves a nomination. Wasn't a huge fan of Evan Rachel Wood, but she didn't ruin the movie for me.

Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:29 pm
Artie the One-Man Party

Interesting tidbit of information: Rourke's entry song when he was a professional boxer was "Sweet Child O' Mine"...just like in the final scene

Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:24 pm
Devil's Advocate

Bradley's pretty spot on, as usual.

As it stands it's a very good and sombre movie about this man, but I feel if they elevated the Tomei relationship to a centerpiece, it'd be more memorable and magnificent and even in their short screentime are probably my favorite 'screen couple' of this year. The two really do great work together and anchor the film. Rourke's performance has received it's accolades of course, and I think she deserves her nom too. The whole maintaining a 17 year old's personality in a 40 year old body but visibly insecure about the truthfulness of her persona thing, is a very complex line of acting to walk.

The weak link is Evan Rachel Wood... she's just not a very good actress. The daughter thing is important and she does ok with the more subtle wordless acting, but when she pumps up the yelling and melodrama... yikes.

The wrestling scenes are fairly exceptional. Aronofsky's gritty camera is a perfect compliment to them and to Randy's dirty beaten life. The no holds barred blood match thing... wow.

Not too sure about the ending. I mean I understand the message and why supposibly he chosethis, but I can't help but feel he'd be more scared and willy of death, even as a pro wrestler.

As a whole though I do think it's more good than great. It's definitely an acting nomination type movie, I can see why it didn't make headway in BP, though it's better than a number of the noms.

4/5

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next