Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Standard Operating Procedure 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Post Standard Operating Procedure

Quote:
Standard Operating Procedure is a 2008 documentary film which explores the meaning of the photographs taken by U.S. military police at the Abu Ghraib prison in late 2003, the content of which revealed the torture and abuse of its prisoners by U.S. soldiers and subsequently resulted in a public scandal. The film was directed by Errol Morris.

Commenting on the relationship of his film to the notorious photographs, Morris has said his intent was “…not to say that these 'bad apples' were blameless… but... to say that they were scapegoats. It was easy to blame them because, after all, they were in the photographs.... Photographs don’t tell us who the real culprits might be… They can also serve as a coverup, they can misdirect us… Photographs reveal and conceal, serve as [both] exposé and coverup”.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:31 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Standard Operating Procedure
Compelling, riveting stuff.

Combining telling interviews, stylized re-enactments, and the infamous photographs themselves, starkly framed against a black background, Morris constructs a fluid narrative that is both shocking and haunting. By letting the perpetrators speak for themselves, and never interjecting with rhetorical narration, he lets the events unfold as is, and allows the wrongdoers to turn themselves into the villains of the piece, through their ignorant statements and forceful pleading. It's admirably restrained and yet still powerful and aggravating.

My only real problem is that Morris' high-tech approach to covering some of the material, most notably the criminal and judicial aspects, seems at odds with the gritty rawness of the rest of the film (and of the photographs) and takes some getting used to. Also, the moment when the investigator distinguishes between "CRIMINAL ACT" and "S.O.P.", complete with the stamping of the photographs, is heavy-handed and the only real moment in the film that feels manipulative and fake.

Still, it's a highly effective, frustrating work. My first taste of Errol Morris, but it won't be my last. A great film from a great filmmaker.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:43 pm
"no rank"

trixster wrote:

Still, it's a highly effective, frustrating work. My first taste of Errol Morris, but it won't be my last. A great film from a great filmmaker.

As good as SOP is (and I feel it's one of the year's best), it's not really in the same league as Morris' The Thin Blue Line and The Fog of War. Check those two out immediately.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:58 pm
The Wall

8/10 -> B

I mostly agree with trix on this one. All the pros/cons are similar to mine. So I won't waste time on typing the same thing again.

What I have to add is that the bonus scenes on the DVD are quite interesting and they shed a different light on some of the participants. They more than confirm their false sense of justice and remorse they are showing.

Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]