Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Because of Winn-Dixie 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

Because of Winn-Dixie 
College Boy Z

Post Because of Winn-Dixie
Because of Winn-Dixie

Quote:
Because of Winn-Dixie is a 2005 film adapted from the book of the same name by Kate DiCamillo and directed by Wayne Wang. It was produced by Walden Media and released by 20th Century Fox. The role of Winn-Dixie was played by two Picardy Shepherds, a rare breed from France.

Last edited by zingy on Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:18 pm
Forum General

This looks really cute, and I'm sure I'll really like it. I love a cute kid's movie once in awhile.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:55 am
Profile YIM WWW
New Server, Same X

I am a sucker for a good kids movie. But, Because of Winn-Dixie fails on quite a few levels. Much like a lot of kids movies, many characters are extremely overexaggerated, as are the actions in the movie. But, down to the main cast of characters, they're all pretty likeable. While the dog is what brings everyone together in the end, it's more of Opal's desire to remember more about her mother who left. At the start of the movie, she has only her father (I can't tell if he's her stepdad or guardian, because she consistently refers to him as Dad AND as The Preacher, which is odd), but "because of Winn-Dixie", she gets new friends and all of these friends, who never really knew each other before this, all come together in the end. It's a sweet movie, with a lot of emotion and plenty of story to tell. My main qualm is that it would work better as a children's novel (which it may very well be, I'm not sure). These are characters you'd expect from a book, not a movie. But, it's still good, and still a little bad in some spots. Average for movie-goers, good for kids.

Grade: C+

Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:03 pm
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Because of Winn Dixie is just what I expected it to be: a cute, charming, family-friendly film. It's not highly original, but the cast is strong, adorable animals are abundant throughout (including a pretty funny parrot), and it's a feel-good movie. AnnaSophia Robb is looking to be a promising talent (reminds me a bit of Dakota Fanning).

B+

Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Wow, now that was a surprisingly enjoyable family movie. It had heart, a good message and was told in a not too kiddy way. Certainly it had its corny scenes and wasn't free from some pitfalls of the genre, but on the whole it was a very nice experience. I must say, though that watching the film made me think that the book might actually be even better. The way this movie deals with some adult themes is good as well, but I'd imagine it works even better on paper. I actually liked this more than, say, Bridge to Terabithia!

Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]