Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 In the Realms of the Unreal 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

Post In the Realms of the Unreal

Quote:
In the Realms of the Unreal is a 2004 documentary about outsider artist Henry Darger. Darger is known for his 15,143-page fantasy manuscript entitled The Story of the Vivian Girls, in What is Known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinnian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion, along with several hundred watercolor paintings and other drawings illustrating the story.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:18 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: In the Realms of Unreal
Hey, I didn't know anyone here knew of this documentary! Who requested this thread?

The documentary is decent enough, I suppose, although I have some serious problems with the narrative and animation decisions.

But the subject matter is utterly fascinating. When my friend told me about Henry Darger I found the whole story simply odd, but I never thought he'd be so riveting and strange a figure.

I think what troubles me is that I can't account for him. How can someone be so enveloped in his art as to close out the outside world entirely? And how can so little be the cause of so much artistic production?

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:03 am
Profile WWW
Kypade

I know bradley loves this film too. I watched it on PBS at like, 3 AM a few years ago because of his thread in the indie forum. It's pretty awesome.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:58 am
The Lubitsch Touch

I requested it!

I was not aware of this film a week ago, but a friend gave it to me. A terrific picture. I think they found the perfect approach; the film makes certain suppositions about Darger and his work, but it never casts judgement on him. Rather, it presents much of his tale in that captivating psuedo-animated form and lets us decide for ourselves. Great. And getting Dakota Fanning to narrate this in her robotic liitle girl voice was an act of genius. Watching the film, I didn't realize it was her, but I did know that it was haunting and totally appropriate voice over work.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]