Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist 

What grade would you give this film?
A 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
B 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13

Extraordinary

Post Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

Quote:
Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist is a 2008 romantic comedy film directed by Peter Sollett and starring Michael Cera and Kat Dennings. Written by Lorene Scafaria and based on the novel of the same name by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan, the story tells of teenagers Nick (Cera) and Norah (Dennings), who meet when Norah asks Nick to pretend to be her boyfriend for five minutes. Over the course of the night, together they try to find their favorite band's secret show and search for Norah's drunken best friend.

The film came into development in 2003 when producer Kerry Kohansky Roberts found Cohn and Levithan's novel and decided to adapt it for film. Scafaria was hired to write the script in 2005, and Sollett signed on to direct the film in 2006. Principal photography took place over 29 days from October to December 2007, primarily in Manhattan and Brooklyn, New York City. During the course of filming, the cast and crew slept during the day and filmed from dusk to dawn.

The film premiered on September 6, 2008 at the 2008 Toronto International Film Festival and was released theatrically on October 3, 2008. It tripled its US$10 million budget with a total gross of US$33.5 million. An accompanying soundtrack was released on September 23, 2008, and the film was released on DVD and Blu-ray on February 3, 2009. It attracted generally positive reviews from critics and received nominations for three Satellite Awards, one GLAAD Media Award, one MTV Movie Award and one Golden Reel Award.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:41 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
It's everything Juno's not... as much as that film was overly snarky and unrealistically setting itself up for "witty" lines, Nick and Norah plays it completley genuine and real, Sollett simply lets the characters breathe as the real people and teenagers they are.

There's no "jokes", no forced wit in the script, there's only the natural conversation and glances that comes with youth and early romance, and the humor when it comes feels totally natural and what you'd find yourself laughing at in real life. In my mind it's the closest any film's gotten since Dazed and Confused to replicating the social teen atmosphere and dialog... some of the stuff in the car NAILED the nervous making chit chat phase.

I also liked how while in most films Norah would be hot and cool but still unrealistically unpopular to make Nick learn his lesson to look past the surface, in this case Norah is hot and cool and she and everyone knows it... I was pleasantly surprised when they introduced the boyfriend, another character who was very, very accurate to real life. Dennings did her role well, I'd probably have to see more of her to see if she has any future past this, but she was likeable.

Ari Graynor steals the show comedically, she's dead on in her role. The part with the puke and gum brought the house down. Dziena as Tris also played her villain role well, as did the three amigos in the car. Michael Cera was probably my only issue with the film. It wasn't that he did a bad job, I think he played the role with proper emotion, but it did bug me a bit that he plays the exact same character as in Superbad and Juno. I'm not really feeling the Michael Cera thing.

Sollett shoots the film in a fairly real-feeling, natural way, enough so at first the film almost feels cheap and amateurish, but the look of it grows on you pretty quickly. I did have some problems with the dialog and actions in the first 20 minutes of the movie, I originally thought I was in for a disappointment, but once Nick and Norah get in the car the movie really takes off. The romance itself also works quite well, of course it's expected from the start but you're glad when it finally gets going.

I quite enjoyed it. A really nice throwback in the genre, I wish more of these films let their characters just feel real and natural instead of making them punchline throwing stick figures. I think this has potential to end up as a teen romance classic.

4/5

Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:11 am
Orphan

Good review.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:13 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Very sweet movie! Michael Ceda and Kat Dennigs have great chemistry together. The inclusion of friends who happen to be gay was a pleasant surprise. This is the kinda movie you see over and over and never get bore of it. A-

Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:10 am
What would Jesus *not* do?

Uumm, yeah, OK, yeah, uhhhh, this sucked. I was hoping this would be a fresh take on the teen rom-com and was hoping for the best, but instead was subjected to an emo crapfest. I wasn't expecting a full on emo centered film complete with requisite emo soundtrack that bordered on unlistenable. The film offered nothing new in terms of structure, story, and character development. Everyone was just a thinly constructed stereotype following a dull boring predictable arc. The one positive aspect the film had going for it, the interplay between Cera and Dennings , is overshadowed by the lame double mcguffins and poorly conceived story. Had the writers, producers, director decided to make a real film without the blatant pandering to the emo subculture then this could've been a decent film. But they didn't and this film suffered greatly as result. If your emo and you know it clap your hands, if your not then don't bother with Nick & Nora.

Grade D+

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:33 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

yoshue wrote:

And make no mistake, there are a lot of problems with this occasionally-pretty-dopey picture. It seems to take place in some strange, curiously non-threatening version of New York City. Our characters run around the city like they're hanging out in some safe, small Liberal Arts college town. It's a private playground. Near the climax, Nick decides to leave a certain female character alone as he drives off to declare his independence; all well and good, except that I couldn't escape from the thought that she would soon be raped and murdered, and perhaps not in that order.

To be fair, as a student living in New York City and someone who has been to almost every location featured in this film - it's really not all that dangerous and/or threatening, even at that time of night.

Anyways, the film was surprisingly great. Incredibly romantic, fun and ultimately touching. Both Cera and Dennings are incredibly likable and have great chemistry, and as mentioned before Ari Graynor steals the show in a hilarious role. It's a love letter to New York City of sorts, and I had a fantastic time with it. A-

Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm
Profile YIM
Team Kris

It was a lot better than I expected it to be. My favorite side-character has to be Caroline, the drunk friend. My god, the running gag involving the chewing gum was disgusting and hilarious. I wasn't too bothered with how the gay characters were 'just there for moral support of the leads.' At least they didn't get made fun of in the entire film. Oh and the Dev guy was in that movie Breaking and Entering I just realized - I knew he had an accent hiding somewhere in his voice lol. The fact that Nick played in a Queercore band cracked me up.

Dennings and Cera definitely had chemistry and timing... and you just want them to end up (eventhough you know what's gonna happen) together. A little sad 'Where's Fluffy' turned out to be 'Where's MacGuffin?'

In other things, I wanted to punch that little Triss/Tress character. She looked (and danced) like a thirty year old stripper. lol

Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:19 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Saw this again today. Such a sweet movie :wub2: And Ari Graynor rocks! Caroline is one of my favorite movie characters of the year.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:00 am
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

Finally got around to doing my mainsite review for this, though it's mostly just what I said in this thread dressed up:

http://www.worldofkj.com/articleIndex.php?tid=32208

Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:24 am
Teenage Dream

Yeah, I really liked this.

I agree with a lot of what Shack said. This movie has a genuine sense of rawness and immediacy that the majority of these type of movies generally lack. I think it really starts to take off in the final twenty minutes or so, where there is some very interesting and surprising editing and camera work. There is definitely some stuff that doesn't work, but I was really impressed with the aesthetic quality as a whole.

And the two leads are fantastic. Excellent chemistry. I'm at the point now where I think Michael Cera might be one of the best comedic actors working right now.

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:23 am
Sbil

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist is a genuinely sweet, intelligently written teen comedy with two main characters who always feel like real people. Michael Cera and Kat Dennings are each superb in their roles, and the film gives them ample screen time together for chemistry to develop. Ari Graynor is a riot as Norah's drunk friend Caroline (the scene with the puke, the phone, and the chewing gum was extremely gross but hilarious). As others have said, the inclusion of Nick's gay friends without making that the center of a joke is also awesome. I really liked this movie a lot. B+

Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:03 pm
Extraordinary

So, I saw this the second time today...

It's my favorite movie of the year.

I freaking love the scene near the end, when Nick and Norah decide to leave the show and the ex's. Goooooood stuff.

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:53 am
Extraordinary

Just caught the final screening at my theatre...

There may have been funnier ROM-COM's this year, but there haven't been any more romantic ROM-COM's than Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist...

To even come close in the romance department this year, ya gotta go back to Iron Man or Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day or Baby Mama, or even Charlie Bartlett (with Kat, too ;) ) - - or way back to the only true contender for ROM-COM of the year so far - - 27 Dresses.

Kat Dennings is an absolute sweetheart! Isn't she just the cutest woman actress evah!!! (She was also in the under-appreciated House Bunny)...

Great writing is what lifts this movie into the stratosphere of love - - the otherwise boring lives of the young are catapulted into true romance by the calibre of the steam behind the pen.

Excellent film.

38 out of 5.

Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:05 am
Wallflower

NICK & NORAH'S INFINITE PLAYLIST - 8/10 (A-)

This was really adorable. A very pleasant surprise. I love Kat Dennings (Charlie Bartlett, The House Bunny). I can't believe how successfully sweet this movie was. It was so genuine and touching. I also loved that it was so gay-inclusive.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:44 pm

nothing too special but a relatively slick and intelligent take on the genre, far more enjoyable than many recent forays into the field, not as fresh and spunky as juno was but more fun than say charlie bartlett. I'd say it does its' job thoroughly and is really a damn good film.
7.5/10

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:37 am

So upon a second (and third) viewing of this film I realize just how thoroughly I underestimated this movie the first time I saw it.
There are some problems in terms of realistic relevance, and the incredible 1-note performance of some of the characters, also the silly light-heartedness of this hassle-free consequence-less environment is palpably ridiculous.
Still the 1-note performances are only by static characters, and despite being ridiculous they are surprisingly accurate, (I, unfortunately, know many people like Tall or Tris) and the performances from every actor in the film are quite excellent. The gay bandmates are actually far less stereotypical and simplistic in their portrayal of being homosexual than most films make the token gay characters seem.
And then there are the fantastic little touches of humor like the guy riding past "yeah, she's not jealous" and the filming of the whole film is excellent.
Moreover every character in the film is extremely well-drawn and interesting to see on screen. The only complaint is that it is too short and you don't get to know all of the characters as well as you wish too.
Also the romance is entirely believable. The slow but sure development of their relationship is entirely believable and the months worth of rollcoaster rides packed into one night create a rapid but fascinating development and the two excellent co-stars make the whole thing such a joy.
5/5 (one of the most underestimated films of....ever?)

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:11 pm
He didn't look busy?!

pretty much the cutest movie about teenagers that I've seen. Even the characters you don't like have this charm to them, and the ones you do like are adorable. The drunken girl was hilarious, she gave a really great little performance there. It's nothing special, but it's nice to know that there are people out there who still want to make movies like this.

B+

The only bad thing about it all is that it solidifies my belief that once Michael Cera becomes an adult, his appeal will completely disappear. I'm not sure he could handle any role besides the one he plays in this/Superbad/Juno/Arrested Development/etc.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:53 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Michael Cera and Kat Dennings are both a joy to watch in this film but it lacked that certain something to make it a truly memorable film for the genre. The first and third acts are fun but the second act really seems to drag even though the film is only 90 minutes. I could of also done without a couple actors in the supporting cast, especially Jay Baruchel who's story was completely unnecessary. With those faults aside, its a harmless teen comedy that could of been a lot more. B-

Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

seeing it this week
will let you know what i think

Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

That was some concentrated Emo juice straight to my ass. However Cera and Denning's are just to amusing not to enjoy.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:20 am
The Wall

6/10 -> C

The movie is sweet. And that's the height it accomplishes. It's not much. Enjoyable watch though.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:57 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]