Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The House Bunny 

What grade would you give this film?
A 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 8 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
F 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 16

The House Bunny 
Team Kris

Post The House Bunny
The House Bunny

Quote:
The House Bunny is a 2008 romantic comedy directed by Fred Wolf, written by Kirsten Smith and Karen McCullah Lutz, and starring Anna Faris stars as a former Playboy bunny who signs up to be the new house mother at a university sorority after being conned by a rival into believing she's now too old by Playboy standards. The cast also includes Katharine McPhee, Colin Hanks, Kat Dennings, Emma Stone and Tyson Ritter.

Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:09 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: The House Bunny
"Kindness is just love with it's workboots on."

That's the kinda quote you're not gonna hear from the naysayers of The House Bunny, an incredibly sweet, sexy, and smart movie bestowed upon us, lo these late days of August...

Of course, I'll bet dollars to donuts that them naysayers haven't bothered to see this little gem of a film.

Anna Faris deserves an AcademyAward nomination for best actress for her portrayal of Shelley Darlingson - - ya, I know this kinda role get's no respect from Oscar - - but damnit, she's frickin' brilliant here!

The screenplay is also very, very well written. It's like the oppositeworld version of the recent Sydney White, but with heaps more edge. It's a real grrrrrlll power movie dressed up in tarty clothes. Way better than I had ever hoped it could be, The House Bunny made me cry tears of happiness by the end, and thereby launches it's tanlineless ass onto my top ten list of 2008...

Bravo!

38 out of 5.

Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:03 am
Wallflower

I wonder if the nude scene was really Faris?

Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:23 am
Orphan

Mike wrote:
I wonder if the nude scene was really Faris?

Supposedly it was because they had problems with the body double.

Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:58 am
Wallflower

THE HOUSE BUNNY - 7/10 ( B )

"The House Bunny" is fun, forgettable fluff. Anna Faris is hilarious and carries the entire movie on her shoulders. It would be nothing without her. It's her perfect comedic-timing that makes it what it is. It's very funny and entertaining thanks to this underrated actress. I hope she'll be given more to work with in the future, but for now to say that she makes the best of this simple formula would be an understatement. Thankfully it should make her the household name she deserves. I also adored Emma Stone (Superbad) in it. She's very cute and charming. Her character was my favorite Zeta member.

P.S. I've always hoped to see Anna host an episode of Saturday Night Live, and I can easily see that happening now after this movie.

Last edited by Magic Mike on Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:14 am
Orphan

Pfft...Emma Stone gave a good performance. To not mention her is not right.

Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:15 am
Extraordinary

Joe wrote:

Kat Dennings (recently in Charlie Bartlett) was also great - - actually I loved all the Zeta's - - the nerdy babe is hardly a plum role, but all seven did a fine job.

Sure, Anna Faris rules - - but to not mention them, is also not right...

Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:30 am
Wallflower

Joe wrote:

Oh shit, I forgot to mention her, when I was certainly planning on it. She was my favorite Zeta member. I actually find her really cute.

I updated my thoughts :).

Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:17 am
Veteran

"The eyes are like the nipples, of the face"
"Do you know were the crapper is, because I have to do something mysterious.. take a timber"
Such a piss. B.

Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:39 am
What would Jesus *not* do?

I'm not quite understanding where the love for this film is coming from? This was a trainwreck for me from almost the very beginning. I knew Faris was going to play a ditzy blonde but damn did she have to take it to the nth degree? And why did the other girls in the film have to follow suit as well. They all ended up playing the stereotypical uber dumb I'm a palstic barbie doll routine which just got real old, real fast. I don't know if they were playing it as joke or being serious because it sure as hell wasn't funny. Maybe this would've been funny as a 5 minute sketch on Madtv or SNL but stretched out over 100 minutes was just way to much. I also feel that Emma Stone and Kat Dennings have taken a HUGE step backwards as far as their careers are concerned by being associated with this. Stone was good in Superbad and I felt help made Rocker watchable and enjoyable. But here she just seemed lost, confused and totally out of place. Denning seemed to be just going through the motions, while lucky enough to be buried under tons of ridiculous make-up. All the characters were so mind numbingly stupid and annoying it just gave me a headache.
Oh and Bradley, no offense, but the only award this film will be nominated for is a Golden Razzie.

Grade D-

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:52 am
Wallflower

It won't get any Oscar noms, nor will it get any Razzie noms. Though I bet Faris will score an MTV Movie Award - or at the very least be nominated.

And Dennings looks to be taking a step back with NICK & NORA'S INFINITE PLAYLIST, not this.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:30 am
Orphan

Mike wrote:
It won't get any Oscar noms, nor will it get any Razzie noms. Though I bet Faris will score an MTV Movie Award - or at the very least be nominated.

And Dennings looks to be taking a step back with NICK & NORA'S INFINITE PLAYLIST, not this.

Nick & Nora looks bad. I saw the trailer twice over the weekend. It got even worse the second time.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:31 am
Extra on the Ordinary

What really annoys me is that it has its really clever moments. Anna Faris is great as always, no surprise there. And you know overall the script seems good enough to have made a movie at least on the level of the first Legally Blonde.

What really weighs is down is the absolutely amateurish and infantile direction. No surprise there either, I guess, this is the same guy from Strange Wilderness. Could they really not afford someone better or something?? It's disappointing to see Anna Faris wasted in anything, but it's more disappointing when a movie with promise is half-ruined by a lazy director.

Pleasant ( due to the comedic gold moments..."the eyes are the nipples of the face".. and Faris), but could have been much better.

C+

Best Actress 2008

Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Mike wrote:

I think that Dennings looks really good in this, plus it's goofy but it's sort of a serious romantic lead, so I think it's a big step. Looks like her and Cera have some good chemistry too from what I can tell in the trailer.

Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:46 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Pretty much the definition of the word guilty pleasure. Anna Faris is fantastic here and gives what is probably her best performance to date. She's not only lovable and charismatic, but laugh-out-loud hilarious here. Some of her facial expressions and the way she delivered some of the dialogue just had me rolling in the aisles. Since this is primarily Anna's show, the rest of the supporting cast doesn't get nearly as much focus - aside from a wonderful Emma Stone, who seems poised for a breakout role sometime soon. It's just an incredibly fun and entertaining good time, the perfect way to end the summer movie season. B+/A-

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:15 pm
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

Funny for the first 30 minutes. Then it just stops working, except for a few scenes involving a depressed Hugh Hefner eating ice cream on a bed. Outside of those two scenes, the last two-third's of this are just painful.

And I like Anna Faris. I do. She's not ready to carry a film by herself yet though. Or if she is just get her a better, more polished and funnier script. What made it into the film just came apart as amateurish and even ripped off several films. And how many times do we have to see that damn scene where everything comes down to a vote?

Every actor in the film (even Hugh Hefner) deserves better than this.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:16 am
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

B-/C+

yeah Anna Faris is really the only shiny beacon in this trash. But it's still rather entertaining. Like Rod said, the direction was really lacking here and its disappointing to see such good talent wasted.

Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:16 am
Extra on the Ordinary

Jmart007 wrote:
Funny for the first 30 minutes. Then it just stops working, except for a few scenes involving a depressed Hugh Hefner eating ice cream on a bed. Outside of those two scenes, the last two-third's of this are just painful.

And I like Anna Faris. I do. She's not ready to carry a film by herself yet though. Or if she is just get her a better, more polished and funnier script. What made it into the film just came apart as amateurish and even ripped off several films. And how many times do we have to see that damn scene where everything comes down to a vote?

But she is.

Check out Smiley Face.

Best Actress 2008

Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Rod wrote:
Jmart007 wrote:

But she is.

Check out Smiley Face.

I caught the film a few months ago. It wasn't good which is a shame considering that I like both Faris and John Krasinski. On the plus side though it was better than The House Bunny. It at least tried to be something different.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I watched SMILEY FACE by myself the first time and I enjoyed it and found it funny, but that viewing can't be compared to when I watched it with others. It was so much funnier the second time around. Comedies are always better with people. So if you watched it alone maybe you should give it another try with a group ;).

Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:49 am
Sbil

Extremely dumb but still rather entertaining. Anna Faris is hilarious and there's a nice supporting turn from Emma Stone here. B-

Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:48 am
Extraordinary

OMG so fucking predictable and lame, it's unbelievable. Also, incredibly confused about its morals.

But it stars Anna Farris, so of course I give it an A. And thankfully it's much more entertaining than The Dark Knight.

Needed more shots of hot frat guys, though.

The eyes are the nipples of the face. CLASSIC.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

C+

It's pretty underwhelming. I'm also in the Anna Faris fan-camp, but this movie really misses lots and lots of opportunities to be actually witty and funny. With the writers having written Legally Blonde before I was hoping for something in the vein of that. The fish-out-of-water premise is similar and with a gifted comedian like Anna Faris it was 'bound to work...or not.

As many have said before me, her potential is wasted here. The screenwriting is really lazy. The characters are all stereotypes, but at least they're almost all likable. Emma Stone continues to show potential after Superbad. I hope she can eventually land a leading role too in some film. The problem is that there was comedic potential here, but the jokes just fall flat on their faces and the humor is not nearly as witty as in Legally Blonde. At least it's not as bad as that film's sequel, mind you. There are some pretty funny lines and Anna Faris almost single-handedly elevates this from rather bad to barely above mediocre. I didn't have much of an issue with its predictability (I mean what else would you expect of a film like this?!), but some more funny would have done it a lot of good. It puts too much faith into quirky characters and ridiculous subplots, but I didn't really care much about them.

And why the hell is Colin Hanks almost always playing the same role over and over?

Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

OMG! That was the most insulting piece of shit I've ever seen.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

heh. anna farris is so cool. obviously, needs to work on that getting better parts thing.
rumer willis is too ugly to be in movies though.

whatever, I had a decent time. to be fair though, I was pretty high.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next