Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Hellboy 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
B 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Hellboy 
College Boy Z

Post Hellboy
Hellboy

Quote:
Hellboy is a 2004 supernatural superhero film, starring Ron Perlman, John Hurt and Selma Blair, directed by Guillermo del Toro. The film is based on the Dark Horse Comics work Hellboy: Seed of Destruction by Mike Mignola. It was produced by Revolution Studios, and distributed by Columbia Pictures. The film is about a demonic beast known as Hellboy who secretly works to keep the world safe from paranormal threats.

Released in the spring of 2004, it grossed $59 million at the U.S. box office, and $99 million worldwide and was favorably received by critics. A sequel, Hellboy II: The Golden Army, was released on July 11, 2008.

Very overrated.

I mean, it's a decent action flick with good visuals, but I'd hardly call it a great comic-book adaptation. It's forgettable. C+

Last edited by zingy on Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:07 pm
Extraordinary

I liked this movie a lot, I should pick up the Director's Cut DVD soon... - B+

Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:18 pm
now we know

Good solid movie. Action packed, but i wanted more big fight scenes between the animals and pearlman :wink:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:49 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

i liked it!

B+

Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:46 pm
Teenage Dream

A solid action packed Comic Book film. Yet, it doesn't reign up with Batman, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, X-Men, or X2 which I gave at least an A- to all of them.

Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:30 pm
We had our time together

Surprisingly good comic book movie. Perlman was great as Hellboy. Very enjoyable. B+

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:55 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

A decent comic book adaptation that could have been better, though. Ron Perlman pretty much makes the entire movie with his great performance. Selma Blair is underused and Rupert Evans was an unnecessary addition. I wish the movie had more Kroenen in it who was a great villain. Other than that, an entertaining flick, no more, no less. The finale is lacking.

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Iron Man

Meh. I didn't like this at all. The action was passable and while I liked the story and characters, the whole thing had too much special effects, which I didn't particularly like and I was just tired by the end. C

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:57 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

It's pretty enjoyable, but the plotting is a DISASTER.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:48 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Very solid Comic book adapt, indeed its probably one of the most faithful ones out there outside of Batman Begins.

Perlman is excellent as the titular big bad Red and even Selma Blair's unwritten part doesn't detract from the fun. I'll eagerly await the sequel.

A-

Thu May 10, 2007 7:35 pm
Extraordinary

Well you can't blame them for trying - the story idea is definitely cool, but somehow it lacks resonance in it's implementation. Ron Perlman, of course knows the beast routine, and this time cuts the sappiness to it's bare minimum. Selma Blair just didn't do it for me as Liz Sherman (flamegirl), and Jeffery Tambor was (surprisingly) bad. But I did enjoy David Hyde Pierce as Abe Sapien! The story, like I mentioned above, had all the elements of hyper-coolness, what with the Nazi flashbacks, religious relics, monsters, and angst - but by the end of its 132 minute running time, I just didn't care anymore - this puppy just runs out of steam, and not for it's lack of action, but rather for it's lack heart. Amongst this kind of second tier comic book movies, I much preferred the previous year's under-appreciated Daredevil...

2 out of 5.

Thu May 10, 2007 7:51 pm
Devil's Advocate

Hated it.

Thu May 10, 2007 7:54 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Very solid Comic book adapt, indeed its probably one of the most faithful ones out there outside of Batman Begins.

Perlman is excellent as the titular big bad Red and even Selma Blair's unwritten part doesn't detract from the fun. I'll eagerly await the sequel.

A-

Agreed.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 10, 2007 7:59 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Hellboy
It's got all these colourful characters and an interesting mythology, but it has no idea what to do with it. The story just sort of sputters along, occasionally detouring for some lame subplot, until it coasts to a stop at the end. The prologue is a great opening scene (Nazis are always a good starter) and the opening credits are inventive and a nice play on the monster mythos, but that's basically where the smart plotting ends. The action is solid and the interactions are realistic, but it's all in service of very little.

Perlman is pretty great and basically the perfect choice to play Hellboy. One thing about comic book films... they nearly always get the casting of the hero right. Keaton aside (but they made up for that with Bale), Reeve, Jackman, Downey Jr, even Maguire (as much as I hate him) were all perfectly suited to play their roles.

The rest of the cast (save Abe Sapian) were pretty much wasted.

The visuals were nice, the direction solid. Del Toro has done better before and since, though.

Overall, I'd place it with Spider-Man, Batman, Iron Man as okay, not great comic book starts. Only Superman and X-Men have really been able to break the curse of mediocre starts to superhero franchises. Oh well.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:58 am
Speed Racer

I really liked it. In my opinion it's way better than any of the lame Spider-Man flicks, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Daredevil and the third X-Men.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:43 pm
Wallflower

I really liked it. It was a pleasant surprise and one of the better movies of this genre (much better than the highly overrated X2 and X-Men: The Last Stand).

B

Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:50 am
now we know

I saw this years ago, but I just watched it again as I didn't think much of it the first time. It's not a bad movie, and I can't wait to watch the sequel now (which I will do in a few days). Ron Perlman is fantastic, and the effects are brilliant. The story is fine, but the villain is generic. I like the idea of Hellboy, but I feel the movie wasn't as grandiose as it should have been. Hopefully the sequel rectifies this.

I think I much prefer the Dark Horse or Vertigo comic book characters to the mainstream Marvel/DC movie adaptations. Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and Hellboy are far more enjoyable than Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, Daredevil, The Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Green Lantern etc. type movies.

It's incredibly well crafted, and an easy watch for a non-reader of this characters' legacy.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed May 08, 2013 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]