Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Die Hard with a Vengeance 

What grade would you give this film?
A 69%  69%  [ 11 ]
B 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 16

College Boy Z

Post Die Hard with a Vengeance

Quote:
Die Hard with a Vengeance (also known as Die Hard 3) is a 1995 American action film and the third in the Die Hard film series. It was produced and directed by John McTiernan (who directed the first film), written by Jonathan Hensleigh, and stars Bruce Willis as NYPD Lieutenant John McClane, Samuel L. Jackson as McClane's reluctant partner Zeus Carver, and Jeremy Irons as Colonel Simon Peter Gruber. It was released on May 19, 1995 and followed by Live Free or Die Hard 12 years later.

Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:59 pm
You must have big rats

I am in a minority, but I think that this is the best film of the Die Hard franchise. Samuel L. Jackson and Bruce Willis make a great pairing and the movie has all ingridients it needs to be good and as entertaining as it gets. The non-stop action is great and very well-executed, there is enough humor and the acting is pretty good overall. Jeremy Irons is a very decent villain and I really liked the storyline and the development of the movie, except for the last 5 minutes which I felt were rushed and could have been done much better.

Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:05 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

A

I am in a minority, but I think that this is the best film of the Die Hard franchise. Samuel L. Jackson and Bruce Willis make a great pairing and the movie has all ingridients it needs to be good and as entertaining as it gets. The non-stop action is great and very well-executed, there is enough humor and the acting is pretty good overall. Jeremy Irons is a very decent villain and I really liked the storyline and the development of the movie, except for the last 5 minutes which I felt were rushed and could have been done much better.

I agree. Adding Samuel L Jackson made this movie better than the other two.

Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:06 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Brilliant film. Better than Die Hard 2. but no scratch on the first. The music in it is brill, that regimental army theme, love it!

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:58 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Just watched this again after a long time. It's the second best of the series. Samuel L. Jackson was a great addition to the film and Bruce Willis was just as good as in the other films.

A

Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:28 am
On autopilot for the summer

Awesome addition, it somewhat left the original's point which was a one man cowboy idea, but that is why the movie is so good. The movie is really a great experience to watch. Jackson and Willis (Winning best on screen duo for MTV rightfully) were a treat, even better than Jackson and Travolta just one year earlier.

The action was great, the story was suspenseful and Willis was as McClainian as ever. A+

This movie sealed it as a top 3 R rated Franchise, after the Terminator and Lethal Weapon. Yes its leagues above the matrix Frachise because 2 and 3 sucked big time. Bring on Die Hard 4.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:51 pm
Extraordinary

Its a good action film like the second one but not great like the first one.

***/**** or B.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:55 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Thankfully a return to form after the dreadful second film. Though it's not as dark as either of the first two, it's much fresher and surprisingly sharply written. The banter between Willis and Jackson makes the film, as both are at the top of the game and play off each other extremely well. I laughed more than I do in some comedies. The first hour or so, with the puzzles, is so damn entertaining that it's a shame the end turns into a generic action flick that basically copies the first film's plot. Jeremy Irons is a solid villain, and there is solid supporting work from the actors playing the cops, but the main duo is unfortunately shunted aside too often. It eventually dissolves into just another action flick, but the first hour and the humour make the overall film more than that.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:28 pm
Stanley Cup

defiantly the second best of the series but just not up the notch that made the first one so great

B+

Final Ratings
Die Hard - A
Die Hard 2 - B
Die Hard 3 - B+

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:40 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I saw this at the show when it came out and really enjoyed it. Fun times!

I'm probably not in the majority, but it's actually my favorite for entertainment value. I had a great time seeing it theatrically (I didn't with the other two) which could have something to do with it.

B+

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:50 am
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:10 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This one is easily my favorite of the series. It's an absolute blast from beginning to end, and a massive improvement over the disappointing second film. The addition of Samuel L. Jackson is great, giving the film a fun "buddy cop" angle that provides many memorable sequences between Jackson and Willis. Everything seems back in top form here, from the SFX to the performanaces. The storyline is also incredibly intense.

A-

Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:55 am
Profile YIM
Where will you be?

The second one is shit, totally. But as much fun as McTiernan makes this, it's too sprawling and unrealistic to live up to the first film. Still, great fun to be had here.

Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:44 am
The Original

My favourite Die Hard. The "Team" is great nice story and action and funny Jokes!
9.5/10

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:04 pm
Superman: The Movie

Until "Live Free" bested it, it was the second best Die Hard. I'm always good for a cat and mouse chase, and this is one of the best. I think the screenplay might actually be the best in the series because of how clever it is. Either that, or the interplay between Willis and Jackson works so well that it just elevates the material. And I always liked the villian. I don't think he was as ruthless as say his brother was when he shot Takanomi point blank in the forehead, or the general who purposefully crashed the commercial airliner to prove a point, but I think his intelligence is what makes him the second best villian, only behind his brother in the original. It was also good to see McClaine, an NYPD cop, finally doing something in New York.

A

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:17 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I haven't seen it since it came out, but remember wondering during the screening how long this agony of boredom would last...

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:28 am
You must have big rats

Still remains my favorite of the series (having now seen the fourth).

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:31 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Die Hard with a Vengeance
I really loved the first half of the movie, that part is possibly the best of the franchise but once Jeremy Irons enters it becomes a bit too predictable and generic. I'd say its better than Die Hard 2 thanks to the first half alone but definitely not as good as the original. The addition of Samuel Jackson was great here, his banter with Willis makes this film. Willis as usual does really well here. It also ends very abruptly and it felt like the final scene was there just to end the movie instead of McClane defeating the villain.

B

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:59 pm
On autopilot for the summer

The original ending had McClane thrown off the force for possibly being framed, and spends 6 months tracking Irons down, the filmed ending shows McLane and Irons playing a riddle of Russian roulette with grenade launcher with Irons losing. Also terrible and completely different t tone for the ending

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:45 am
Forum General

This is still my favorite Die Hard film. Love the chemsiry between Sam Jackson and Bruce Willis and Jeremy Irons was a great villain IMO even if he didn't have the best death scene.

A

Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]