Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Vicky Cristina Barcelona 

What grade would you give this film?
A 64%  64%  [ 21 ]
B 24%  24%  [ 8 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 33

Vicky Cristina Barcelona 
Extraordinary

Post Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Quote:
Vicky Cristina Barcelona is a 2008 American/Spanish romantic comedy-drama film written and directed by Woody Allen. The film stars Javier Bardem, Penélope Cruz, Scarlett Johansson and Rebecca Hall.

The plot centers on two American women, Vicky and Cristina, spending a summer in Barcelona, where they meet an artist who is attracted to both of them while still enamored of his mentally and emotionally unstable ex-wife María Elena. The film was shot in Avilés, Barcelona, and Oviedo, and was Allen's fourth consecutive film shot outside of the United States.

The film premiered at the 2008 Cannes Film Festival, then received a rolling worldwide general release that started in August 15, 2008 in the U.S., and continued in various countries each month until the June 2009 release in Japan.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

Post Re: Vicky Cristina Barcelona
shouldn't this be stickied?

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:41 am
Kypade

Weirdest movie ever.Image

Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:30 pm
Defeats all expectations

kypade wrote:
Weirdest movie ever.Image

Why?

Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:00 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I honestly had no idea what this was...

I may see it!

Scarlett + Woody Allen = GENIUS!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:02 am
Kypade

foolosopher wrote:
Why?

Honestly, I dunno. That was just the impression I walked away with. It's just a really different kinda film. I liked it, though. A lot.

Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

Hm. I don't know if I would say it's strange/weird.

It plays like Postcards from Barcelona. Highlights from Vicky and Cristina's summer vacation with Barcelona serving as the (beautiful) backdrop.

And it just happens to be Woody Allen's funniest, sexiest, best movie in god-knows-how-long. The entire cast is wonderful, but, unsurprisingly, Penelope Cruz made the movie for me. When she's on-screen it's absolute bliss. She's hilarious but ultimately heartbreaking as a woman struggling with what could possibly be schizophrenia. Honestly, she is so gorgeous in this that she could probably just stand there and still add so much to the movie, but her acting has never been better, and certainly not in an English-language film (though she has about as much Spanish dialogue as she does English). The way she delivers her dialogue is pitch-perfect. I loved the way what she says is sometimes so absurd and yet she says it with such conviction. It goes a long way in showing you the kind of world she's stuck in. It's a smaller role than I imagined but I can safely say that they might as well give her the Oscar right now unless something absolutely extraordinary comes during the rest of the year (Viola Davis, Kate Winslet?). Lovely performance. Lovely film.

A-

Best Actress 2008

Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I'm seeing this tomorrow... Exxxxcited.

Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:41 pm
Extraordinary

I really loved it as well.

GREAT performances all around. Besides Cruz obviously I was particularly impressed with Rebecca Hall.

Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:51 am
Veteran

SUCH a sexy movie. A-.

Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:33 am
Forum General

well good reviews for this so far...might check it out.

and I like the movie's name, simple and to the point.

The plot centers around two American women, Vicky and Cristina, who are vacationing in Barcelona

Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:42 am
Orphan

The original title was Midnight in Barcelona, according to an interview with Woody Allen.

Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:00 pm
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

Joe wrote:
The original title was Midnight in Barcelona, according to an interview with Woody Allen.

That would have been better.

Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:43 pm
You must have big rats

I actually was in Barcelona last year when they were shooting this.

Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:49 am
Profile WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

Then why isn't the title Vicky Cristina Lecter Barcelona? :disgust:

Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:48 am
You must have big rats

I didn't sleep with Javier Bardem.

Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:56 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:
I actually was in Barcelona last year when they were shooting this.
Price wrote:
Then why isn't the title Vicky Cristina Lecter Barcelona? :disgust:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
I didn't sleep with Javier Bardem.

I'm not buying it, Doc. We all know that Lecter's just your username - - so 'fess up - - in TRW, is your name Vicky or Cristina?

Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:17 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

A wonderful film. It's incredibly sexy, funny and romantic - and the entire cast is at the top of their game. Scarlett Johansson turns in what is probably her best performance in years, Rebecca Hall is wonderful and charming, Javier Bardem is incredibly charismatic - and Penelope Cruz completely steals the show with a fiery and unforgettable performance. The cinematography is gorgeous and the direction is fluid - sticking towards many of Allen's trademark stylistic methods. Definitely one of the best films of the year so far. A

Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:58 pm
Profile YIM
Confessing on a Dance Floor

loved this movie! Penelope is soo good here, first time I really dig her acting. great script and acting. really enjoyed the narration for some reason. i thought it was very new and raw and real.

A-

Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:44 am
What would Jesus *not* do?

I'm really enjoying Woody's trip through Europe and VCB is the culmination of his time spent there. Europe seems to have really have reinvigorated him as an artist and filmaker. VCB is very sexy, romantic, funny, and charming, everything you look for in a Woody Allen film. As noted already the performances were top notch and the cinematography was gorgeous which only helped elevate an already enjoyable experience. Here's one person who's glad to see Woody back on the top of his game.

Grade A

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:29 am
Team Kris

YAY Woody

Quote:
JULY 15

Once again I had to help Javier with the lovemaking scenes. The sequence requires him to grab Penélope Cruz, tear off her clothes and ravish her in the bedroom. Oscar winner that he is, the man still needs me to show him how to play passion. I grabbed Penélope and with one motion tore her clothes off. As fate would have it she had not yet changed into costume, so it was her own expensive dress I mutilated. Undaunted I flung her down before the fireplace and dove on top of her. Minx that she is, she rolled away a split second before I landed causing me to fracture certain key teeth on the tile floor. Fine day's work, and I should be able to eat solids by August.

JULY 30

Dailies looking rather brilliant. Probably too early to start planning Academy campaign. Still, a few notes for an acceptance speech might just save me some time later.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:17 pm
Devil's Advocate

Coming in, I expected a breezy and delicious 2 hours of romantic triangles in Spain. What I got was so much more... VCB is a full on mediation of not only the different sides of love and romance, but of life in general, of the constant search for our own place and happiness in the way we are living. Vicky and Cristina are caught in a state of self-questioning... what do they want in their lives? Where are they going? Both girls have original visions of love, Vicky believes in commitment and peace, Cristina wants erotica and passion. Both get it, and both are left unsatisfied when they do. Vicky jumps away from her fabled happiness at the first chance she gets when Juan shows up, while Cristina seems to break off her threesome relationship only to break it off, only because it is in her nature to never be satisfied and always be looking for herself. Mirroring the girls' visions of love, Juan and Maria-Elena live a life of lust and passion, but without peace or friendliness, while Judy and Mark are committed and friendly but without lust... and both relationships fail. This implies neither Vicky or Cristina's dreams were correct or better than the other, that love fits neither mold. What is Woody implying about human nature? That we will always be searching for the missing piece? That we will never let ourselves find pure happiness, we will always find a way to destroy it? That we may think we know what we want, but in most cases, we really don't? By saying all this, he seems to be showing it as a celebration for us as humans, for having emotions and questions like this. For me, I just love it when characters have self-conflict and real, layered depth... and this movie delivered that to me in spades. I loved the work done with all the leads.

The open ending of the film is absolutely perfect. There is no wrapped up conclusion to life, there is no ending. Every character is left at their own personal crossroads, unaware of what their own place in life is and where they're going next. The the film as a whole feels like the girls trip to Barcelona, a brief trip and moment in the midst of their long journey. All 4 main characters are left in indecision and questioning, and seemingly back where they started, but not really.

Rebecca Hall gives a great, great performance, I'd like to see where her career goes after this. Scarlett... whatever. She's given everything to work with as the most layered character in the film, and she still feels plastic. Fittingly enough, Cruz's character is given the least depth and she comes up with a performance that'll probably deservingly win her the Oscar. Bardem is also very good.

I love the soundtrack, between "Barcelona" and the score, the movie and scenes always backdropped beautifully. The screenplay and dialog is absolutely aces, I could listen to these people talk all day. I was worried about the narrator coming in, but in the end it didn't really bother me, although it didn't add to the film as much as in say, Little Children. I would fully support Woody winning another Oscar for this script. The overall direction through the editing, pace, close-ups, etc. is also pretty flawless.

Love it. Lovvvvvve it.

5/5

Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:49 pm
Site Owner

Fun movie, I enjoyed it.

Scarlett, Cruz and Javier really outshine Hall IMO, but it all worked.

Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:45 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

I also wanted to mention that I found it fun how the two main characters flip flopped from the start of the summer until the end. Neither actually transformed, and both will go on living the personality and desires they wanted previously, but they both LONG for what the other has/had, and I found that to be pretty interesting.

Again, fun movie, would like to see it get some award attention.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:00 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I loved this film. Wonderful.

Go watch it.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:49 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next