Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hitch 

What grade would you give this film?
A 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
B 69%  69%  [ 20 ]
C 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 29

Hitch 
College Boy Z

Post Hitch
Hitch

Quote:
Hitch is a 2005 romantic comedy film directed by Andy Tennant and starring Will Smith. The film, which was written by Kevin Bisch, co-stars Eva Mendes, Kevin James, and Amber Valletta. Smith plays a professional matchmaker, who makes a living teaching men how to woo women. It was released on February 11, 2005 by Columbia Pictures.

Last edited by zingy on Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:24 pm
Affiliate

Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:19 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

For the most part Hitch is a good movie with some good performances (Especially from James), but the movie is just too damn long. The movie is 113 minutes long without credits. Does a romantic comedy really need to be this long? Because of the length the movie really drags along in the end, but it doesn't kill the movie.

B -- A minor disappointment

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:17 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I really loved it, alot better than I expected

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:24 pm
now we know

..because depending on the genre, its running time could help it.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

This is one of the best, if not the best, romantic comedies I've ever seen. Will Smith and Eva Mendes light up the screen with their chemistry. The movie instantly brings a smile to your face, whether it's Will Smith's charisma, Eva Mendes's beauty, or the hilarious Kevin James, who brings you to tears with some of his actions in Hitch. It's definently the perfect movie for Valentine's Day. I had high hopes, and as I walked out of the theater, I felt I got more than I could have asked for. Hilarious movie.

A-

Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:44 pm
Sbil

This is one of the best, if not the best, romantic comedies I've ever seen. Will Smith and Eva Mendes light up the screen with their chemistry. The movie instantly brings a smile to your face, whether it's Will Smith's charisma, Eva Mendes's beauty, or the hilarious Kevin James, who brings you to tears with some of his actions in Hitch. It's definently the perfect movie for Valentine's Day. I had high hopes, and as I walked out of the theater, I felt I got more than I could have asked for. Hilarious movie.

A-

Only an A- and it might be the best romantic comedy you've ever seen? [-X :razz:

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:37 pm
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:

A-

Only an A- and it might be the best romantic comedy you've ever seen? [-X :razz:

I was thinking about that too. On the one hand, I'm trying to be more strict with my grading, but it was soo good. :-k

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:38 pm
New Server, Same X

Libs wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

A-

I was thinking about that too. On the one hand, I'm trying to be more strict with my grading, but it was soo good. :-k

We like the same movies, we both were mods at one point (except you're not all delete-y), and now we're both trying to be more strict with our grades?! Why don't we just buy a bicycle built for two, and ride all around North America on it?! ](*,)

Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:09 pm
Site Owner

Full review will be up in the wee hours of the night ... ::Lion King Music:: .... Be Prepared!!!!!!

Edit:

Hitch

Grade: A-

Full Review:

Quote:
There is no genre of movies I am more skeptical about going to see than a romantic comedy, with the debatable exception of a horror movie. For every good rom-com there are innumerable pitiful ones, leading me to constantly expect the worst, and in that sense I liken the romantic comedy to a blind date. Regardless of all the good things you hear, skepticism always wins out. You find yourself with hopes down, guard up, wishing to the stars that it won't be the ugly sister in-law answering the door. You find yourself praying for something average, maybe a new friend ... no embaresment and even remotely entertaining will do at this point. That is the exact place that I find myself while settling into my seat in the sparsely populated theater.

Similar to a blind date, it takes something special to make one disarm, to allow you to come out of that shell and enjoy the hours to come. Almost as soon as the lights dim, Hitch is pounding away at your defenses with its true to life social commentary on the issues between men and women. While funny, it is also remarkably true to the standards of single life, drawing you right into the movie, the characters, and allowing you to unknowingly let your guard down.

Throughout the movie you follow Hitch (Will Smith) a date doctor with all the answers, that is until he meets gossip columnist Sara (Eva Mendes) while he tries to help a new client find love. Will Smith has always been a favorite of mine, and I have to say, this is HIS movie. It is so hard to fathom that not long ago this man was "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" and now can put together performances like this. Eva Mendes is terrific as Sara, with any actor other than Smith her performance would have simply overpowered the movie (think Diane Keaton in Something's Gotta Give), but Smith simply amazes right along with her. The chemistry between Smith and Mendes was electric, and Kevin James provides the comedic spark that gives Hitch its flow.

In Hitch there seems to be this perfect balance between the romantic and dramatic sequences that is almost uncanny. It all managed to flow so well together, something that wouldn't have been possible without the character of Albert. Will Smith does a great job balancing the two sided elements of his character, but he is largely aided by the comedic relief that Albert (Kevin James) provides. Albert is the one making us laugh with all the quirky, off beat actions that free up Will Smith to be his charismatic self, and while it keeps us from becoming to emotionally attached with Albert, it manages to let Smith slip right in the back door. Hitch just meshes very well together managing never to take itself to seriously, yet never entering that goofy realm where rom-coms go to die.

I also found myself simply stunned by the chemistry between the amazingly gorgeous Eva Mendes and the always charming Will Smith. Eva is simply one of the most stunning, and apparently one of the most talented, actresses in Hollywood today. These two onscreen together simply commanded attention, they allow you to care for their characters while at the same time being down to earth enough to keep the emotions in play realistic enough to make a romantic comedy ... romantic. It was refreshing, it was remarkable, and it was most of all enjoyable.

The movie excels in so many things, is highlighted by great performances, and has a story line that for once isn't a mindless retread. It is both playful and exciting and I enjoyed it throughly. Love isn't ever going to be perfect, and noone will ever have all the answers, not even Hitch, but I do know that at the end of this blind date I most certainly went that last 10 percent.

Grade: A-

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

How do I describe Hitch? It's a terrible premise (that sometimes echoes Never Been Kissed) and has some terrible acting. I've never liked Will Smith, and this movie just makes me dislike him more. The movie tries too hard to be funny, and tries too hard to be sad, especially with Smith's overacting. Hopefully, I'll never be forced to watch Hitch again, it is a disappointment, even though I wasn't expecting a damn thing from it. This review is actually coming from a fan of romantic comedies.

4/10 (D+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:24 am
Profile YIM WWW
Site Owner

Overacting by will smith?

I can see how you would think it tries to hard to be funny ... I would dissagree ... but it worked for me.

I don't however see your problems with the acting.

Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

greaat movie .. and surprisingly though i dont know if it will be a popular opinion or not, i expect guys to like it cause till the very end, it seemed more like the movie was made more so keeping guys in mind.

example: Girls like cute. Most romance are cute funny

Guys like "Its funny cause its true cause i can see myself in it". Its not really cute or anything. But fun nevertheless.

Did i make an assumption about women here? prolly .. but i'm hoping that i'm spot on for how guys look at romance? if not, bleh!

B+

Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:14 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I liked this movie a lot. I now officially stand by my theory that Will Smith is one of the biggest and best leading men in Hollywood. I love the guy, and he really does a great job, even in the big budget sci-fi films. Kevin James is hilarious and a great asset to the film. Eva Mendes surprised me, she's really great in the film as well. Great story, great concept, and great humor. All-around great! My only problem is it does drag on a bit in a few places. I'd love to give it an A-, but I'll stick with a B+.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:52 pm
Teh Mexican

I Really liked it, very funny, Kevin James did a fantastic job, the guy is hilarious , but i was kinda disappointed i was expecting more............
but overall, is a great romantic comedy! you will have a great time :smile:

B+

Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:22 pm
Teenage Dream

Grade: A

A great romantic comedy and my first grade of an A for 2005.

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:57 am
Indiana Jones IV

Nice romantic comedy. Will Smith plays good. Kevin James doing great in the movie. it's a great hilarious romantic comedy in 2005, i guess. Hitch deserve an A+ grade.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:46 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Extraordinary

I liked this film a lot surprisingly. Smith, Mendes and James all do a great job.

- B+

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:06 pm
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

Its a innocent romantic comedy that clicks with me (and a good size of the public according to its B.O numbers). It made me laugh when I was suppose to, and was a good way to spend two hours on Valentines Day and I will most likely watch it when it comes to HBO.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

This will be the first Will Smith movie I will not be watching since Bad Boys. :-k Nothing to do with its quality. Just not a big fan of the genre.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Loved it. I had my doubts about Eva Mendes but she completely destroyed them. Smith is charming, charismatic and funny. Oh and how I loved Kevin James here. He was the Highlight of the movie. I wished he would have gotten more screen-time. The people in my showing all went nuts whenever he was on screen. Amber Valletta was really cute too. She was my favorite girl in Hitch. A-

Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:58 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

LOVED IT!!!!! Will Smith is brilliant. Eva Mendes is....uh.....br-illiant. :wink:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:40 am
Profile WWW
now we know

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

8/10 (A-)

Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:01 pm
Profile YIM
I saw this last night, and was pleasantly surprised! I'm always leery of romcoms because they're usually overly cheezy and pukeworthy. This one, however, was very very funny and enjoyable! I really liked it, and I usually don't like romcoms that much. Kevin James was especially good.

A-

Tim

Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next