Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The X-Files: I Want to Believe 

What grade would you give this film?
A 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
B 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
C 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
D 26%  26%  [ 5 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19

Dont Mess with the Gez

Post The X-Files: I Want to Believe

Quote:
The X-Files: I Want to Believe is a 2008 science fiction-thriller directed by Chris Carter and written by both Carter and Frank Spotnitz. It is the second feature film based on The X-Files franchise created by Carter, following the 1998 film. Three main actors from the television series, David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson and Mitch Pileggi, reappear in the film to reprise their respective roles as Fox Mulder, Dana Scully and Walter Skinner.

Unlike the first film, the plot does not focus on the series' ongoing extraterrestrial based mytharc themes, but instead works as a standalone thriller horror story, similar to many of the Monster-of-the-Week episodes that were frequently seen in the TV series. The story follows Mulder and Scully who have been out of the FBI for several years; with Mulder living in isolation as a fugitive from the organization and Scully having become a doctor at a Catholic-run hospital, where she has formed a friendly relationship with a seriously ill patient. But when an FBI agent is mysteriously kidnapped, and a former priest who has been convicted of being a child molestor claims to be experiencing psychic visions of the endangered agent, Mulder and Scully reluctantly accept the FBI's request for their particular paranormal expertise on the case.

The film was first anticipated in November 2001 to follow the conclusion of the ninth season of the television series, but it remained in development hell for six years before entering production in December 2007 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The film was released in Australia and Germany on July 24, 2008; in North America on July 25, 2008; in Israel and Kuwait on July 31, 2008; in the United Kingdom on August 1, 2008; in Hong Kong on August 4, 2008; and in Japan on November 7, 2008. The world premiere took place on July 23, 2008, at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood. The U.K. premiere was held on July 30, 2008, in London's Empire, Leicester Square. Since its release, the film has gathered mixed to negative reviews by critics and viewers alike.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:52 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: The X-Files: I Want to Believe
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... WS/1651704

EBERT Gives this 3.5 out of 4.. Interesting how this is at 33% Rotten on RT with most of the reviews claiming it's nothing more than an over elaborate episode of the TV Series.. Well duh, no shit.. What TV Show adapted into a big screen movie isn't like that?? Sex and the City was like that to.. :funny:

Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:02 am
Profile WWW
Artie the One-Man Party

MR. GREEN wrote:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080723/REVIEWS/1651704

EBERT Gives this 3.5 out of 4.. Interesting how this is at 33% Rotten on RT with most of the reviews claiming it's nothing more than an over elaborate episode of the TV Series.. Well duh, no shit.. What TV Show adapted into a big screen movie isn't like that?? Sex and the City was like that to.. :funny:

I...agree? :huh:

Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:20 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

depends what season tough. Sex and the City movie was a longer episode from its last season which was great. If I Want to Believe is from any of the last seasons of the X-Files, then it's gonna suck.

Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:29 pm
Team Kris

Sam wrote:
depends what season tough. Sex and the City movie was a longer episode from its last season which was great. If I Want to Believe is from any of the last seasons of the X-Files, then it's gonna suck.

Are Doggett and Reyes gonna be in this movie? :sweat:

Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:07 pm
Extraordinary

Christian wrote:
Sam wrote:

Are Doggett and Reyes gonna be in this movie? :sweat:

Nope.

It's a small movie. I can't imagine it costing more than two episodes of the show, save for the stars' increased salary. It really does feel like a mid-level episode. Fight the Future was much more, uh, movie-ish.

Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:32 am
On autopilot for the summer

It seems like it could have just as easily been a TV movie, but because the first made over 200 million WW, they'd have to try at least one more time.

Im going to check it out though

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:45 pm

The title still sounds like a cheesy Disney song.

Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:38 pm
Squee

Felt like a mid-season 2 parter, but it was still effective enough.

The commercials are misleading, though, don't expect a huge amount of supernaturalness like aliens or ghosts or some shit.

:glare:

Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:45 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

In it's defense... when I used to watch X-Files... it was far more of a thriller/crime solving show than a supernatural show.

Sure, it had supernatural elements, and was based on the super natural... but, still...

Or maybe I'm delirious.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:51 pm
Squee

Im just saying, the commercials were trying to make you think the movie had something to do with aliens, which isnt true at all.

(There was that part in the trailers, where this person jumps out from the ground and is all blue... yeah, the blue was added just for the commercial and isnt in the movie)

Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:55 pm
What would Jesus *not* do?

I want to believe that Chris Carter had actually put some effort into writing this film. I want to believe that when this was greenlit the intention was to make a watchable film. I want to believe that Duchovny and Anderson put aside their differences in re-uniting to make this film based on reading a good script. I want to believe that someone would've realized that the train was coming off the tracks during filming. I want to believe that someone involved would've tried to right the train. I want to believe that after 6 years they would've come up with something better than this. I want to believe that I didn't waste nearly 2hrs of my life.

Grade C-

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:12 pm
Town Bike

The Mr Pink wrote:
I want to believe that Chris Carter had actually put some effort into writing this film. I want to believe that when this was greenlit the intention was to make a watchable film. I want to believe that Duchovny and Anderson put aside their differences in re-uniting to make this film based on reading a good script. I want to believe that someone would've realized that the train was coming off the tracks during filming. I want to believe that someone involved would've tried to right the train. I want to believe that after 6 years they would've come up with something better than this. I want to believe that I didn't waste nearly 2hrs of my life.

Grade C-

:console:

Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:25 pm
Town Bike

I gave this movie an A - as an extended episode. Some of my nitpicks:

- Gillian Anderson needed some time to get back into being Scully. She didn't seem quite so familiar in the first part of the movie.

- It needed more supernatural elements. The psychic priest was too low-key for me.

- Referencing Mulder's sister was unnecessary and felt tacked on.

- Scully seemed to revert to being more skeptical than I remember her at the end of the series's run.

- Amanda Peet was a throwaway character

Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:28 pm
Squee

minneapple wrote:

Literally ;)

Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:31 pm
Town Bike

Squee wrote:
minneapple wrote:

Literally ;)

Now who's being mean today?

Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:51 pm
Extraordinary

xfiles 2

To the point, the movie is mostly boring and uninteresting. This could have been a 2 hour Xfiles special on FOX. It did not have to be a movie as it didn't even deal with Xfiles whereas the first movie was heavily involved in xfiles lore this movie has none of that. We're zipped into the future where it seems Mulder and Scully are a unmarried couple who live together each invested in their own careers. What? Then we have multiple stories occurring at the same time none of which were particularly interesting. The only nice moment was when Skinner appeared towards the end. This movie was just so disappointing and completely utterly unnecessary. I think it really tarnishes whatever cred the xfiles series had.

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:54 pm
College Boy Z

Weird. It is basically like an extended episode. The first film actually felt like a movie - like it had to be seen on the big screen. This? Easily could have been a TV movie special. And the biggest problem is that...it's not X-Files. It barely even had any supernatural elements. It's just a murder/mystery with the X-Files brand name and cast.

All that said, it's not bad. Decent and interesting plot, somewhat entertaining, etc. Just don't see the point of making this film.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:12 am
We had our time together

I'm deeply disapointed. I love X-Files to death but this movie was a joke. It not even felt like a movie to me. Just because there's Mulder and Scully its getting a D+ instead of something lower (which it probably deserves).

Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:37 am
Profile WWW
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

Did anyone else get the feeling that it was the "Dana Scully Show" and Fox was just a co-star.

I see this a basic thriller/mystery movie with a peppering of supernatural, but I thought it was pretty well done, just nothing really to stand out. I would like to add that I am happy they didn't go crazy at the end with a overly dramatic, drawn out, high tension scene; instead they went with a more realistic tone which I taught was good. All in all, I don't think anyone dropped the ball, sometimes you got to settle for a field goal instead of a touchdown.

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Optimus_Prime wrote:
Did anyone else get the feeling that it was the "Dana Scully Show" and Fox was just a co-star.

I see this a basic thriller/mystery movie with a peppering of supernatural, but I thought it was pretty well done, just nothing really to stand out. I would like to add that I am happy they didn't go crazy at the end with a overly dramatic, drawn out, high tension scene; instead they went with a more realistic tone which I taught was good. All in all, I don't think anyone dropped the ball, sometimes you got to settle for a field goal instead of a touchdown.

Yea but it seems like someone was kicking a fieldgoal so they would lose by 4 instead of 7

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:44 pm
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

Thegun wrote:
Optimus_Prime wrote:

Yea but it seems like someone was kicking a fieldgoal so they would lose by 4 instead of 7

Were you a fan of the show? Because if you were I can totally see why you were upset by it. I was not, so what I saw was an okay thriller that I will watch with pleasure when it is on TNT in a few years.

EDIT: I think I am not alone in saying that Fight the Future was better than this?

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

I'll be honest. I have never watched an episode of the show 'The X-Files,' nor have I seen the first movie that was made of it. So if you read this review as an ardent fan of the show, there is probably little value you will be able to take from it. However, if you, like me, were never into the show, I'm pretty sure you'll share my mindset, should you go out and see the film.

I will say this to fans of the show: There were people in the theater who obviously were 'X-Files' watchers, and they were definitely the people enjoying it the most. They laughed at all the in-comments, cheered when the major characters were first shown, and even got the most scared by the sudden moments of fright. So that's just about all I can tell you guys...if you watch the show, this will probably be a nostalgic experience for you.

Now here's how I felt. 'The X-Files' was a one-hour show back in its day, whereas 'The X-Files: I Want to Believe' clocks in at one hour and forty minutes. The amount of story they had to work here would have EASILY fit into a one-hour runtime for the show, and the feel of the movie was like that of a television show itself. In all honesty, this movie never tries to be anything more than an extended version of its show. That may be a good thing for fans, but for people judging it simply as a movie, it makes for quite a boring experience.

The story drags. A lot. There are very many scenes where it seems like something important should happen, but all that ultimately happens is that our protagonists become more conflicted in terms of whether or not they 'believe' (a major theme of the movie). Although the dialogue is written in a pretty realistic way, that doesn't change the fact that it provides few laughs or is any better than any of those mystery shows you can find on TV. Nothing about this movie makes me believe that I spent my $10 for something that I couldn't have gotten for free. 'The Simpsons Movie,' which came out last summer, was an example of a show-turned-movie that retained the mood of its show, but accomplished a lot more than its show ever dared to, thus making it it worth going out and seeing in theaters. This fails to achieve that.

But that isn't to say that there aren't positive aspects to this film. I may not have watched the show, but the chemistry between David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson feels lifelike, and it's obvious that they know how to play their parts well. And the story, while rather unspecial, never cheats itself or the audience by taking a sudden cop-out turn...it stays in line with the mythology of the show and the situation, and that's why it ultimately works as a plot, even if they could've given it to us in half the amount of time that it took.

I'm sure that any 'X-Files' fan would find something to like in this movie, because it certainly isn't a bad effort. It just gives you no reason to believe if you don't already.

C

Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:02 am
Profile WWW
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

I'd agree with what most people said... it didn't feel overly X-Files-ish and the overall quality was more along the lines of a "special" episode of the show.

With both Mulder and Scully being out of the FBI, most of the secondary characters dead or missing (like the Smoking Man and the Lone Gunmen), and with almost none of the mythos of the show being used in the movie, it just didn't work for me.

But, at the same time it was just nice seeing Mulder and Scully back together, even if it was a lackluster story and production. So, I'll give it a very generous C+.

Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:11 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

I never watched the show except bits and pieces here and there and I didn't see the first one so maybe that contributed to my ... non-understanding. And I was also very drunk.

But I have no idea what happened in the movie. At all.

C

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next