Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Quote:
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is a 2002 biographical spy film depicting the life of popular game show host and producer Chuck Barris, who claimed to have also been an assassin for the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). Sam Rockwell portrays Barris and the film was directed by actor George Clooney and written by Charlie Kaufman.

Columbia Pictures had planned to produce a film adaptation of Barris' memoir of the same name in the late 1980s. When the film rights were purchased by producer Andrew Lazar, Charlie Kaufman was commissioned to write a new script, which attracted various A-list actors and filmmakers to the project. After Bryan Singer's version of Confessions of a Dangerous Mind with Johnny Depp in the lead role was canceled in February 2001, George Clooney took over directing duties.

Barris remained heavily involved in production in an attempt to portray the film from his point of view. To accommodate the $30 million budget, Clooney convinced actresses Drew Barrymore and Julia Roberts to lower their asking prices. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was released with respectful reviews from critics, but bombed at the box office. Rockwell, in particular, was praised for his acting, and won the Silver Bear for Best Actor at the 2003 Berlin International Film Festival.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:31 pm
Powered By Hate

Post Re: Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
Yeah, this movie is seriously underrated. Sam Rockwell can do no wrong.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:36 pm
loyalfromlondon

I liked it a lot too. It ostensibly follows the formulaic narrative arc of most biopics (start off unknown, become famous, become corrupted, reedem oneself, end happily) but it handles it so lightly and shallowly that there's no sense of manufactured drama or contrived situations. There's no problem with the possible factuality of the events portrayed, because they're clearly not meant to be accurate depictions of history. Rather, the film is meant to showcase Barris' state of mind or perspective throughout his life, and thus questions of whether or not he really worked for the CIA are irrelevant. He believed he did, and that's all that matters for the film.

With that in mind, there's a lot to like here. It's stylish and artsy without being annoying or disingenuous, and thus it manages to be interesting throughout, if only due to the visuals. It's truly funny, but it's mixed with a healthy dose of drama and intrigue, making for some really black humour. The scene where Clooney slowly dies on the diving board is dark and cool and depressing all at once. Rockwell is superb, but I was surprised how charming I found Drew Barrymore (probably the only time other than E.T. that I've liked her in a film). With a film as slick as this, it's hard to find something to dislike. Tragically underrated.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:59 pm
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

Magnus wrote:
Oh, this is a hidden gem of this decade.

It balances comedy, thrills, and drama well. A entertaining yet insightful film. Rockwell does an excellent job acting.

However, the story does get a tangled up a bit (from what I can remember, been like three years since I've seen it) and I HATE Drew Barrymore (I don't think I've ever liked her in anything). Though it's a great film overall.

A-

My thoughts exactly.

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Decided to rewatch this. It's an ok film, Clooney can direct well but he fails to grip me. Good cameos by Brad Pitt and Matt Damon, and a starring role for Julia Roberts, mean that the Ocean's team were back again. Rockwell was good, as usual.

D+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:55 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]