Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Wanted 

What grade would you give this film?
A 24%  24%  [ 12 ]
B 34%  34%  [ 17 ]
C 24%  24%  [ 12 ]
D 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 50

Wanted 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Wanted
Wanted

Quote:
Wanted is a 2008 action film, very loosely based on the comic book miniseries of the same name by Mark Millar. The film is written by Chris Morgan, Michael Brandt, and Derek Haas, directed by Timur Bekmambetov, and stars James McAvoy, Angelina Jolie, Morgan Freeman, Thomas Kretschmann, Common, Terence Stamp, and Konstantin Khabensky. The storyline follows Wesley Gibson (McAvoy), a frustrated accountant who discovers that he is the son of a professional assassin and decides to join The Fraternity, the secret guild in which his father worked.

Production began in April 2007, with filming in the Czech Republic to later superimpose the sets on images of Chicago. Wanted was released on June 25, 2008 in the United Kingdom and two days later in the United States, to both critical and commercial success. It was nominated for two Academy Awards: Best Sound Editing and Best Sound Mixing.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:57 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: Wanted
Its not ridiculous enough to be Shoot Em Up, not funny enough to be Crank and not unique enough to be a great film in its own right. Instead its sporadically enjoyable but overall a damp squib.

Don't get me wrong there is some good stuff in here, for one the last act storming of the "castle" gets the adrenaline pumping in a way the trailer suggested would be a non stop nutso ride of lunacy, but then away from that the film is saddled with a tone way to serious to go with scenes involving curling bullets and keyboard teeth smashing.

Also McAvoy's character is incredibly badly written, his motivations and moods turn on a dime for very weak and ill developed reasons while Jolie doesn't even get a character as such beyond a walking pout temptress.

I guess I expected the trailer just pulled out to feature length, instead you get maybe 30 minutes of fun and an hour of dullness. Alas Sadness.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:07 pm
loyalfromlondon

Comparisons to Shoot 'Em Up and Crank have me befuddled why critics are loving it. Perhaps the presence of Morgan Freeman confused them....?

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:47 pm
You must have big rats

trixster wrote:
Comparisons to Shoot 'Em Up and Crank have me befuddled why critics are loving it. Perhaps the presence of Morgan Freeman confused them....?

On the whole, critics were generally positive towards Crank as well.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

A-

Best film of the film so far

Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:43 pm
ef star star kay

trixster wrote:

:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:52 pm
Top Poster

B, Up firepower, The Bourne Ultimatum-esque editing, and Fight Club-esque humor.

The tone of the movie was never serious which both helped and hurt the film. Generic story devices were helped tremendously by the movie constantly poking fun at itself, especially the well-suited placement of profanity.

McAvoy pulls off the ordinary-guy-becomes-hero routine rather well, while Jolie is perfectly cast as the eye candy. Freeman was mostly phoning it in, but was pure gold in a few key scenes.

Overall a wild and fun ride, though a bit too silly to be completely enjoyable. B.

Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:28 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

This movie wishes it was half as smart as it thinks it is.

Wanted is a flurry of action with an overload of storyline in search of even the tiniest bit of direction. Yow! This thing careens all over the place till it beats itself up as bad as it does some of the characters on display here.

In another thread I heard Wanted compared favorably with Crank - - heh - - maybe if they cast a man in the lead role instead of James McAvoy. Sure they try and pass him off as a pussy turned pro, but when you compare him to Jason Statham, there's no question that McAvoy's a just a little girl. I can't believe he gets as much work as "he" does, though I suppose he's not threatening to the growing cadre of metrosexual moviegoers. If this movie had a tenth of the integrity that Crank did, I'd be writing a rave review of it right now...

...and Angelina Jolie totally phones this one in, and I'm usually a fan of hers. She looks like she's got way too much eye makeup on, in a failed attempt to conceal her boredom with this part. Even Morgan Freeman looks exasperated in his featured role.

...but the icing on the cake, or I should I dare say, the shit on the toilet seat is the second misuse of Terence Stamp in as many weeks. Has no one seen The Limey?!? Am I going mad? What about The Adventures of Priscilla? Nobody?!?!?

When it finally got to the part where McAvoy's character blurts out the bastardized phrase: "Kill 'em all, and let fate sort out the rest." - - sheesh! - - I knew this movie was completely bankrupt and headed to the gutter.

1 out of 5.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:07 am
Orphan

A review I found on RottenTomatoes is hilarious in how it rips the film apart, calling it one of the worst movies the critic (SR) has ever seen:

Quote:
WANTED is a disgusting film that obviously should have been rated NC-17 for its obnoxious level of gross and excessive violence. Human bodies are beaten to a pulp like slabs of raw meat. The MPAA failed us again, worrying about sex and nudity in other films, which are normal, but ignoring massive levels of inhumane violence in movies like WANTED.

But, even if the movie were properly rated, it would still be absolutely awful. One of the worst films of the year, it possesses almost no original ideas. Instead, it rips off other movies, taking their signature features and twisting them to ridiculous levels. This is seen most of all in the way it takes the body and bullet moves of THE MATRIX and tries to amplify them a hundredfold, making them look outlandish and just plain stupid.

Actually, you can probably forget everything I've said, that is, if you are like most members of our theater audience. In what I think of as the BATTLEFIELD EARTH phenomenon, some movies are so atrocious that it becomes downright fun to laugh at them. Listening to viewers later, the oft-heard refrain was that, sure the movie stunk, but it was still fun laughing at its inanities. While I was cringing in disgust during the movie, most of my audience found its ridiculous moments entertaining. Personally, I was ready to run out screaming after thirty minutes.

The plot concerns a mysterious and nefarious organization known as "The Fraternity." This secretive group has been around for over a thousand years. They are a band of blood-thirsty assassins, who, we are told, only kill those deserving of death. Gosh, don't you feel better already? These murderers won't bother you. They'll just go after the guy next door, who doesn't recycle like he should. Actually, we don't know how they go about deciding who deserves death. What we do know is how the assassins are given their missions, which is pretty silly.

The film's editor is obsessed with showing off what he can do in post-production by including the maximum amount of slo-mo, speed-ups, freeze frames and instant rewinds. These techniques are so overused that it could make any movie almost unwatchable. Of course, WANTED isn't just any movie. It's a really bad one, made even worse by its overly clever editor.

Most of the movie has members of the fraternity shooting at each other. These world-class marksmen -- and women, most notably the film's headline star Angelina Jolie -- manage to almost never be able to hit each other. Rather than being the world's best shots, they frequently appear to be the worst. When they do get close to wounding each other, the bullets collide in mid-air. This happens again and again, ad nauseam.

The story concerns the training of the Fraternity's newest member, Wesley Gibson (James McAvoy). He is recruited by Fox (Jolie) to kill the killer of the father he never knew. It turns out that Wesley has Fraternity blood in him, so that, when asked to shoot the wings off of flies, he discovers, to his considerable surprise, that he can do it the first time he tries. He also finds that he is at heart a sadistic and violent man. He has such anger issues that, when he goes back to work, he breaks a keyboard over the face of a coworker he never liked. The poor guy's face is pulverized and some of his teeth are knocked out.

This consistently mean-spirited movie has perhaps a single saving grace. Wesley comes up with an ingenious scheme to storm a veritable fortress of killers. But, although inventive, the scheme is telegraphed way in advance, blunting the cuteness of its effect.

I found the movie painful to endure. If I had not been there to review the film, there is no question about what I would have done. I would have walked out. The only issue is how much pain I would have put up with before giving up on the movie. Do yourself a big favor and never walk in in the first place.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:52 am
Cream of the Crop

I think the movie was entertaining and I enjoyed it. I give it B.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:04 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

BTW, I loved the premise of the thousand year old guild, etc. - - it was in the execution of that premise that the epic fail occured...

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:39 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Again, the worse the review, the more awesome this movie sounds to me. Am I the only one?

Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:28 pm
Killing With Kindness

The Bad reviews are ridiculous, Just as they were for Jumper. Wanted is Grade A entertainment, a non stop roller coaster ride of pure awesomeness. The film delivered everything it promised in the trailers and more.

BJs Grade:

B+

Go watch the fucking movie.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

BJ wrote:
The Bad reviews are ridiculous, Just as they were for Jumper. Wanted is Grade A entertainment, a non stop roller coaster ride of pure awesomeness. The film delivered everything it promised in the trailers and more.

BJs Grade:

B+

So why did you give it a B+?

The bad reviews for this are warranted as the film is a dijointed jumbled mess with no clear direction on what it wants to be or where it wants to go. I wanted to like this I really did. I really enjoyed Bekmambetov's first two films and was hoping he could bring that same energy and unique visual style to this film. Instead it felt as if he just gave in to the hollywood system and compromised his style so that this would play to the masses instead of taking control and bringing the masses to him. Sure some of the film worked, like the opening scene in the office building and on the roof top along with parts of the train sequence, but as the film played on it felt like someone just hit replay.
What really hurt this though was the utter lack of character development. I wasn't expecting anything substantial but even the slightest bit would've been appreciated. I mean half the cast had no purpose being there other than to take up space in the frame. While the othre half was thinly constructed at best. And I'm going to agree with Bradley on something- Why cast Terrance Stamp if you're not going to use him? The man can bring it to this type of role and was grossly under used, truly a waste of talent.
Wanted looked as if it was going to be a mindless, bloody, action thrillride, but instead was just a bloody mindless mess. I tried to turn off my mind and enjoy the ride but the ridiculouslessness of it preventing me from doing so.

Grade C-

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:15 pm
Extraordinary

The Mr Pink wrote:
BJ wrote:

BJs Grade:

B+

So why did you give it a B+?

Hee hee... :giggle:

Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:19 pm
Veteran

Movie:
Silly fun. A lot of silly fun. It's a bit much but it's welcomed. The action is great. The story is alright, a little thin and a little to wannabe Matrix meets Fight Club, meets a whole lot of other things but its really, really, entertaining. Angie Jo is hot as hell, and plays her usual bad ass self. McAvoy is good as well, good break out role for him. Morgan Freeman plays Morgan Freeman. It's well done, comedy was well done as well, the last 20 minutes are also a but much but the ending is insane. B+ Good fun.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:18 pm
Team Kris

I put Wanted in the same class as Shoot Em Up, a couple of cool action scenes with over the top chessy CGI. Anyone wanting to compare this to the original Matrix needs to stop as this is no where in the same planet in terms of "ground breaking" SFX or story. The movie never takes itself seriously and is never really funny. So we are left somewhere in the middle with Jolie's only purpose is to look hot (which she does. BTW, is it just me or did she lose a lot of weight for this role? She looked a little frail/bony and not the curvy body we have all come to know and love.) Angelina was no doubt the driving force in the marketing, so I think people with not be pleased with how little she is given to work with.

All in all, a silly action movie with a weak plot and bad SFX.

C-

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Whatever! All the bad reviews can go fuck themselves! This movie kicked major ass. It was bloody violent and cool as hell, exactly what I wanted. James McAvoy is "the man!!" and Angelina Jolie is fuckin' fierce.

This is what Matrix Reloaded should have been like. Can't wait to see it again! And jusdgement by the reaction at my theater, so can't they!

A

Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:31 pm
College Boy Z

FUCKING. AWESOME.

This is a summer popcorn flick. Pure adrenaline rush to the max. I'm glad this film didn't punk out and go with a PG-13. The action sequences in this are so freakin' cool. Nothing terribly new, yet it still blew me away. I actually really dug the plot as well. Angelina Jolie kicked ass and Morgan Freeman is a complete badass. Wanted is really stylish, incredibly entertaining, pretty damn funny ("...or you can kill this mother fucker..." - Morgan Freeman, Wesley in the office when he quits, etc.), and one of the best films of the year.

Ignore Wall-E, go see this.

***1/2

Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:01 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

:disgust:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:06 am
ef star star kay

Zingaling wrote:

***1/2

What's your problem?

No one in Wall-E thread says, skip Wanted, go watch Wall-E..

I'm going to see both. So NO, thanks!

Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:37 am
Orphan

Zingaling wrote:
FUCKING. AWESOME.

This is a summer popcorn flick. Pure adrenaline rush to the max. I'm glad this film didn't punk out and go with a PG-13. The action sequences in this are so freakin' cool. Nothing terribly new, yet it still blew me away. I actually really dug the plot as well. Angelina Jolie kicked ass and Morgan Freeman is a complete badass. Wanted is really stylish, incredibly entertaining, pretty damn funny ("...or you can kill this mother fucker..." - Morgan Freeman, Wesley in the office when he quits, etc.), and one of the best films of the year.

***1/2

Just how bad is your ADD? Unlike this, Wall-E actually has a heart. It truly is a movie for everyone from 5 to 95 (Something a critic said about Finding Nemo).

Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:43 am
Star Trek XI

All I got out of this was a Matrix ripoff vibe.
Spoiler: show
Guy living his dull boring life... A girl(Trinity) comes to wake him up and tell him hes not really who he thinks he is... she takes him to see the boss(Morpheus). They train and train and train him until "hes ready" or "beginning to believe". His assassination assignments feel like trips back into the Matrix. The scene where he comes back to the factory to take some revenge is similar to the end of the Matrix where Neo rampages an office trying to rescue Morpheus. Sure they threw you a little twist in the movie but it wasnt enough for me. This is weird too because I normally like most movies!

I'll give it a C it did have some decent visuals.

Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:39 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

The positive reviews are damn angry!!

Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:49 am
You must have big rats

Magnus wrote:
Zingaling wrote:
FUCKING. AWESOME.

***1/2

Honestly, the R-rating didn't do that much. Most of the cursing didn't add much except for the "kill this mother fucker" part. And it wasn't really that gory. This could have easily been PG-13 and I would have given it the same rating. I still think it was a stupid decision (business wise) to NOT go PG-13.

Heh funny that one reviewer actually said it deserves NC-17 for all the gory killings.

Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:05 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next