Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Get Smart 

What grade would you give this film?
A 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
B 63%  63%  [ 20 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 32

Get Smart 
Extraordinary

Post Get Smart
Get Smart

Quote:
Get Smart is a 2008 American spy-fi comedy film based on Mel Brooks and Buck Henry's 1960s spy parody television series of the same name. The film stars Steve Carell as Maxwell Smart and Anne Hathaway as Agent 99. Alan Arkin, who also worked with Carell in Little Miss Sunshine, plays the Chief.

The film co-stars Dwayne Johnson, Terence Stamp, Terry Crews, David Koechner, Masi Oka, David S. Lee, Ken Davitian, Larry Miller, James Caan, Kevin Nealon, Patrick Warburton and Dalip Singh. Bernie Kopell, who played Siegfried in the original series, Leonard Stern, the original series' producer, and Bill Murray make cameo appearances.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

Post Re: Get Smart
All I ask of a movie is that it entertain me and I must say that Get Smart entertained the hell out of me. Sure its a bad action movie masquerading as a bad comedy masquerading as a theatrical release, but it all worked in ways that defy explanation. Steve Carell was great as Maxwell Smart and Anne Hathaway was stunning as Agent 99. Dwayne Johnson provided the charisma while Allen Arkin played it straight. The film pays homage to the original show without pandering to or demeaning it. Get Smart is what a mindless summer comedy should be, funny.

Grade A

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:08 am
On autopilot for the summer

The Mr Pink wrote:
All I ask of a movie is that it entertain me and I must say that Get Smart entertained the hell out of me. Sure its a bad action movie masquerading as a bad comedy masquerading as a theatrical release, but it all worked in ways that defy explanation. Steve Carell was great as Maxwell Smart and Anne Hathaway was stunning as Agent 99. Dwayne Johnson provided the charisma while Allen Arkin played it straight. The film pays homage to the original show without pandering to or demeaning it. Get Smart is what a mindless summer comedy should be, funny.

Grade A

Spoiler: show
Is Bill Murray In it?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:18 pm
What would Jesus *not* do?

Thegun wrote:
The Mr Pink wrote:

Grade A

Is Bill Murray In it?

Answer
Yes, He's stationed inside a tree keeping an eye on CONTROL's secret enterance. Its not a very big part but its funny none the less

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:26 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

When you reply to a spoiler tagged commernt with a spoiler tag - kind of feels like the "cone of silence" - hence very fitting for this movie. :D

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:17 pm
why so serious?

Get Smart's advertising promised a fun summer action-comedy, and the final product doesn't disappoint. The action is surprisingly thrilling and the comedy hits the spot. Steve Carell's timing is right on the money in the lead role of Maxwell Smart, and he doesn't have bad chemistry with Anne Hathaway (who is gorgeous as usual). It doesn't start to drag until late in its 110-minute running time, but the laughs are still coming even at that point. It's not without its flaws (some of the scenes, such as a skydiving scene and a heavy portion of the climactic chase, require huge suspension of disbelief), but it's also as enjoyable and entertaining a movie as there currently is in the marketplace.

Grade: B+

Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:41 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

It was ok. I really wanted to love this. But alas, I think every single member of the cast was underused and the script/plot wasjust weak. I sort of remember the show being a lot more witty. It had its moments. With so many movies to catch right now, this may not have long legs... B

Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:50 am
Extraordinary

Where's the camp?

Sheesh!

Would you believe they dumbed down Get Smart for the modern audience?

...yeah, the joke doesn't work, because it's so obviously true. Mel Brooks and Buck Henry, though remaining production consultants, haven't contributed their brilliant sense of humor to this dud. It's not just acting stupid - - it is stupid. They try and make it a real spy action movie at times (à la James Bond), which sadly, kills the joke.

The only thing that saves it from getting a 0 out of 5 is Steve Carrell's talent - - even with the trash he has to work with, his talent shines through here and there. Anne Hathaway, though I'm a huge fan, is completely wasted her - - I hope she makes smarter career decisions in future. The C.H.A.O.S. actors are completely miscast, thereby losing the punchline on half the jokes. Same goes for the Chief. Alan Arkin and Terence Stamp are great actors and have excelled at comedy in the past, but they're in the wrong movie here.

Unlike the unappreciated brilliant homage crafted by Nora Ephron for the TV series Bewitched, Get Smart, it's contemporary from the 60's gets the short end of the stick. What a wasted opportunity!

1 out of 5.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:56 am
Extraordinary

The Mr Pink wrote:

Grade A

Heh. Finally, a good review for a movie from Mr Pink - - and it ends up being for tripe like this. Go figure?!

Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:01 am
je vois l'avenir

I'll keep it short.

It was just okay. Never hilarious, never really boring, never suspenseful...it was just okay...nothing stood out. Carell is his usual character. Anne is gorgeous but nothing too good (acting wise). Though a big part of the (somewhat bad/okay) acting is the script. It doesn't really call for much.

So overall, if you want to relax in an air conditioned room for about 2 hours and not get bored, watch this movie - that was pretty much the reason why my friends and I saw it....

Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:05 am
I just lost the game

Really really liked it. Lots of humor, lots of action....a bit of cheese, but not too much. A really great waste of two hours. Steve Carrell is amazing.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:26 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Unlike the unappreciated brilliant homage crafted by Nora Ephron for the TV series Bewitched, Get Smart, it's contemporary from the 60's gets the short end of the stick. What a wasted opportunity!

seriously?! i want whatever you were smoking that day....

Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:29 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

i think Bewitched is underrated as well.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:31 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

It was very enjoyable. It had a little bit of everything, but not too much of anything. Very safe movie.

For that, it gets:

8.7/10
B+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:50 am
No Wire Tampons!

getluv wrote:
i think Bewitched is underrated as well.

It was terrible so no. not over-rated

Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:39 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Sam wrote:

seriously?! i want whatever you were smoking that day....

My comparison was for fans of both original series like myself - - the Bewitched movie was a true homage to the TV series, an out-and-out love letter from a director who clearly loved and understood the original. The Get Smart movie on the other hand, is in no way an homage to the TV show - - it's a bastardization of it. Love for the original clearly played no part in this remake...

Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:52 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

2008 is the year for comedies and Get Smart was no exceptation. It may not have been joke after joke but when one came up, you wouldn't see it coming. Some jokes were so suprising that it was just to funny to watch. Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway have great chemistry. Plus, The Rock and Alan Arkin play great in their roles.

A

Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:50 am
Profile WWW
Another You

I have to admit that 40% of the jokes were dragged and just out of the pLace here BUT, when it is funny, it is reaLLy funny; the steaLth scene and the one with Max being promoted being one of the best. The action scenes were okay and the skydiving sequence Looked great, at times. One of the most mindLess fun I've had this year so far, and I'm pumped for a Get Smart 2.

B+

Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:42 pm
Sbil

A solid, consistently entertaining summer comedy. The film suitably captures the silly, zany feel of the TV show. It's hard to imagine anyone more suited to Maxwell Smart in a modern version of Get Smart than Steve Carell, who carries off the role with aplomb. Agent 99 is played by the equally well-selected Anne Hathaway, who shares plenty of playful chemistry with Carell. Alan Arkin and Dwayne Johnson get to have some fun in their respective supporting roles. The plot really makes no sense, but that's not particularly relevant to this film. It's never a great film, but that's okay: it's a pretty good one throughout. Enjoyable. B

Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:37 am
Extraordinary

Libs wrote:
The film suitably captures the silly, zany feel of the TV show.

Incorrect.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:38 am
Sbil

Libs wrote:

Incorrect.

*yawn*

Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:41 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Really enjoyed this one. It accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do and proves to be a massively entertaining popcorn flick, full of laughs and some surprisingly great action sequences. The performances are all strong, especially from Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway. Both of them are personal favorites of mine and are wonderful here, exhibiting surprisingly strong chemistry as well. Dwayne Johnson and Alan Arkin also do well in smaller supporting roles. I've never seen the original television show this film is based on so I can't attest to the faithfulness factor, but overall it's an incredibly fun film that I would definitely recommend. B+

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:12 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Libs wrote:
Libs wrote:

Incorrect.

*yawn*

Note that I didn't comment on the rest of your review...

Libs wrote:
A solid, consistently entertaining summer comedy. The film suitably captures the silly, zany feel of the TV show. It's hard to imagine anyone more suited to Maxwell Smart in a modern version of Get Smart than Steve Carell, who carries off the role with aplomb. Agent 99 is played by the equally well-selected Anne Hathaway, who shares plenty of playful chemistry with Carell. Alan Arkin and Dwayne Johnson get to have some fun in their respective supporting roles. The plot really makes no sense, but that's not particularly relevant to this film. It's never a great film, but that's okay: it's a pretty good one throughout. Enjoyable. B

...that is your opinion, and your entitled to it.

I simply pointed out your one factual error...

:)

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:21 am
Orphan

For those who liked the movie, don't forget that the tie-in movie hits DVD July 1:

I'll be renting it for sure.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:33 am
Pure Phase

If they are such winning supporting characters (the new Timon and Pumbaa :P ), I am surprised I haven't seen them in a single trailer or TV spot. Maybe the mediocre second season of "Heroes" made Masi Oka less of a selling point.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next