Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 You Don't Mess with the Zohan 

What grade would you give this film?
A 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
F 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 20

Extraordinary

Post You Don't Mess with the Zohan

Quote:
You Don't Mess with the Zohan is a 2008 American comedy film written by Carlito Cabardo, produced by and starring Adam Sandler and directed by Dennis Dugan. This is the fourth film which has starred Sandler and has been directed by Dugan The film is about Zohan Dvir (Hebrew: זוהן דביר‎), an Israeli counter terrorist army commando who fakes his own death in order to pursue his dream of becoming a hairstylist in New York City. The story was written by Adam Sandler, Judd Apatow, and Robert Smigel. It was released on June 6, 2008 in the US and on August 15, 2008 in the UK. The film poked fun of the Israeli obsession for hummus. In the movie, characters used it to brush their teeth and as a method to douse the flames of a fire, as well as a hair care product.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: You Don't Mess with the Zohan
Zohan!!!!!

Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:10 pm
What would Jesus *not* do?

Someone, Anyone? for the love of decent Hummus make please make Adam Sandler STOP! Sandler who was once a very funny comedian has drifted far, far, far off the path any self-respecting individual would take. In Zohan, Sandler continues his streak of abysmal attempts to merge humor with some sort of message for tolerance and acceptance of those who are different, failing miserably at both. Zohan is a two joke film in which the two jokes would not amuse a 10yr old let alone his target audience of 20-30 something pot-heads. And for those who find his character voices annoying then your in for a special treat with this film. His Austrailian/Tibetan/I'm guessing Jewish accent makes his voice in Little Nicky sound like music to the ears. This film was awful from the opening scene onwards with nary a laugh or even a cracked smile to be found. I reccomend that you Don't Bother With the Zohan.

Grade F

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:59 pm
On autopilot for the summer

The Mr Pink wrote:
Someone, Anyone? for the love of decent Hummus make please make Adam Sandler STOP! Sandler who was once a very funny comedian has drifted far, far, far off the path any self-respecting individual would take. In Zohan, Sandler continues his streak of abysmal attempts to merge humor with some sort of message for tolerance and acceptance of those who are different, failing miserably at both. Zohan is a two joke film in which the two jokes would not amuse a 10yr old let alone his target audience of 20-30 something pot-heads. And for those who find his character voices annoying then your in for a special treat with this film. His Austrailian/Tibetan/I'm guessing Jewish accent makes his voice in Little Nicky sound like music to the ears. This film was awful from the opening scene onwards with nary a laugh or even a cracked smile to be found. I reccomend that you Don't Bother With the Zohan.

Grade F

I really thought you'd love it too.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:41 pm
Mod Team Leader

Pink doesn't like anything.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Extremely ridiculous and stupid, but it also had a few good laughs. It's an average comedy I would probably recommend waiting for DVD to watch, but it will please the diehard Sandler fans. I will say that the montage of Zohan's "sessions" with the various old women in the salon was hysterical. C+

Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:09 pm
Superman: The Movie

A significant improvement over Chuck & Larry simply because it tries. I thought C&L was okay, but it was lazy comedically. Here, although the comedy is sometimes hit and miss, the screenplay by Apatow, Sandler and Robert Smigel will try anything to make you laugh. How many movies are you going to see where people play hacky sack but with a cat? Zohan for the most part made me laugh and that's all I asked for.

There are a couple of problems with Zohan though, one being that it's too long. This seems to be somewhat of a problem for anything with Judd Apatow's name on it (I say somewhat because his films are still good despite the length) and ten minutes probably needed to be cut somewhere in the middle. Although it's funny, the montage scene with Zohan and his clients seem to go on forever. Another problem I had was with the relationship between Zohan and Dalia (Emmanuelle Chriqui). They never quite sold me on their relationship one of the reasons being the age difference. Sandler is eleven years older than Chriqui is. What's that line from Dazed and Confused, "That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age."? Adam, you're no longer 27, time to move on.

Anyways back to the film. I had fun for the most part. And for the first time in a long time with a Sandler film, it's kind of clever. Zohan won't be for everyone, but it made me laugh.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:49 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I was tired and fell asleep for much of the middle.

But I really liked the first 10 minutes - that "super everything" was very funny but then the next parts before I dozed off were either boring or repetitive.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:36 am
Mod Team Leader

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Two thirds of a great comedy!

The first two acts were outright hilarious - - the audience I saw it with were in literal hysterics at several points in the Israel segment and then in Zohan's adaptation to living in NYC. I actually convulsed with laughter at one point.

However, just about the time Mariah Carey shows up, the hummus dribbles out of this shlong and the whole thing goes limp. Yeah, they complete the peace story, which was kinda nice, but I woulda preferred to laugh myself to armistice.

But how can I complain? I haven't had this many laughs since In Bruges, but they were them smart laughs - - Zohan gave me the stupid dirty laughs I crave deep down!

17 out of 5.

((If you want the best movie value this weekend - - go to the multiplex and watch the first 75 minutes of Zohan, then leave before it turns mushy, and go across to the next theatre and watch the last 45 minutes of Kung Fu Panda after the boring set-up - - I doubt you'll find a more entertaining two hour super combo before July!))

(((The full house crowd I saw it with went absolutely bananas for it - - don't be surprised if this is yet another Adam Sandler BO champ...)))

This sounds very funny. Thanks for posting.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:30 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

It's funny enough to make up for it's flaws (which mostly include Rob Schneider). None of the good parts were spoiled by the ads either. That's really rare for a Sandler movie. I didn't even see Chuck and Larry (though might watch it on cinemax tonight). Let's disco and play hackey-cat. Biggest surprise of the year so far for me. A-

Apatow has to have a bad one eventually doesn't he? I thought Sandler's people would fuck this up for sure.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:36 pm
What would Jesus *not* do?

baumer72 wrote:
Pink doesn't like anything.

I loved Citizen Kane ;)

Sandler's been hit and mostly miss for me since the truly awful Little Nicky.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:24 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

This is a true Sandler comedy here. Pure fun entertainment and side-splitting laughs. I really enjoyed it and this goes up into one of my all-time favs from Sandler.

A

Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I can't believe that it's almost a week into it's run, and there's still only seven reviews for Zohan!

Here's one theory, which I posted in one of the hater clubs over in the Box Office Bash forum:

Quote:
BoxOfficeGuru posted these interesting statistics on the demographics of the audience for Zohan:

Quote:
According to studio research, the audience for Zohan was evenly split with females making up 51% and those over 25 also representing 51%.

So it's not surprising that there's so much hate for this film here at KJ, since neither of those demographics is well represented here.

I think that the latest WOKJ demographic report I read, showed that 92% of KJ is made up of 14 year old boys...

Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:55 am
Christian's #1 Fan

Ugh.

Unfunny. Boring. Stupid. The only good part was the cameo by Mariah Carey, at least she knows how to actually be funny.

D

Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:02 am
Romosexual!

movie gets C- :thumbsdown:
Emmanuelle Chriqui gets A+++++++++++ :wub2: simply gorgeous.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:06 am
Commander and Chef

A

Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

bABA wrote:
A

What he said.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:13 pm
College Boy Z

Jeff wrote:
The only good part was the cameo by Mariah Carey, at least she knows how to actually be funny.

:blink:

Anyway, this film is ridiculous. Not as hilarious as some other Sandler films, but it's solid. The random moments where people started to disco killed me.

**1/2

Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:19 pm
why so serious?

It was exactly the kind of stupid but often funny hit-and-miss comedy we've come to expect from Sandler. After what seemed like a fairly subdued in last summer's I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry (and the straightforward dramatic turn in Reign Over Me that came before that), Sandler lets loose and has a hell of a good time as Zohan. It is a pretty welcome spin on his typical "average man-child" getup, though some of the same types of jokes (the sex ones in particular) are recycled. John Tuturro also manages to steal scenes as "The Phantom." The action is pretty fun to watch, with the showdown in Israel at the start being the highlight. For the first hour or so, the movie has more energy and laughs than any Sandler movie has in a while, but things really seem to cool off in the second half. The collapse is mostly to do with the romantic subplot and a climax too odd for its own good (apart from the Mariah Carey cameo and the "redneck profile," both of which I found to be quite funny). Like most of Sandler's other work, You Don't Mess with the Zohan is uneven and not destined to be remembered as a classic of any variety of cinema, but it gets the job done.

Grade: B

Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:10 am
The Lubitsch Touch

For every one laugh that lands (and, make no mistake, there are some really good gags in here), about six fall flat. When it's funny it's very funny, so I hate to say that it's not ultimately successful. But it's not.

There's a whole bunch of different movies fighting for face time in there. The cock-eyed Munich parody that starts off strong and ends well but is death in the middle portions. There's also the standard Sandler-pic sweet underdog story that needs tending. Don't forget the strange family guy-esque parade of non-sequitur that fills in the margins. They needed a strong filmmaker with a sense of style to make this work- not Dennis Dugan, who has no business working outside of primetime television. If there. His staging is terribly flat (poor John Turturro), the film is shapeless because there's no vision behind the camera, and I can't count the number of scenes that a) simply ended or b) ended with the biggest clunker in a series of decent gags.

I applaud the effort of mining a situation that isn't very funny- and one people don't seem to want to hear about- for a goofy comedy. But the filmmakers, hedging their bets on tackling such a touchy subject, hide behind their safety curtain of endless but harmless Jewish ethnic jokes; I swear, ten minutes in, and there had already been 20 distinct Hummus jokes. And, oh god, it does not end there.

Sandler lets loose as Zohan and is mostly funny. Except the sex gags. Those were just sort of unpleasant. John Turturro is so not funny as to be alarming. He is given nothing to play with. It's telling that the only laugh his character gets comes not from his performance, but from the montage he happens to be in. You know the one. There's also way too much Rob Schneider in a titanically unfunny turn. But, in keeping with the 6:1 bad gag/good gag ratio, his anguished cries of "goat!" get a big laugh.

Good premise poorly executed. A miss.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:05 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Very funny beginning (One of the most absurd films or randomness I've ever seen. And I was cracking up a lot, once he falls in love it begins to get a little less jokey)

As a result, I'd give it a B+ becuse I did laugh a lot right now, but I feel like I'll never watch it again because I get the feeling repeat viewings will kill it. So my grade is if you want to laugh and like absurd humor, this is definitely for you.

B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:30 pm
Extraordinary

I laughed three times in 120 minutes. Eck.

Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:36 pm
Extraordinary

The Dark Shape wrote:
I laughed three times in 120 minutes. Eck.

I feel sad for you.

I wish Zohan could have brought you the same joy that it brought to me.

:(

Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:03 pm
Extraordinary

I feel sadder for the friend with me. He's a huge Sandler fan and he laughed less than I did. At least I was in a semi-bad mood going in.

Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:59 pm
Stanley Cup

it was fun. step up from chuck and larry

B+

Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next