Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Kung Fu Panda 

What grade would you give this film?
A 45%  45%  [ 14 ]
B 48%  48%  [ 15 ]
C 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 31

Kung Fu Panda 
Extraordinary

Post Kung Fu Panda
Kung Fu Panda

Quote:
Kung Fu Panda is a 2008 American computer-animated action comedy film produced by DreamWorks Animation and distributed by Paramount Pictures. It was directed by John Wayne Stevenson and Mark Osborne and produced by Melissa Cobb, and stars the voice of Jack Black along with Dustin Hoffman, Jackie Chan, Angelina Jolie, Ian McShane, Seth Rogen, Lucy Liu, David Cross, Randall Duk Kim, James Hong, Dan Fogler and Michael Clarke Duncan. Set in a version of old China populated by humanoid talking animals, the plot revolves around a bumbling humanoid panda named Po who aspires to be a kung fu master. When an evil humanoid kung fu warrior is foretold to escape from prison, Po is unwittingly named the chosen one destined to bring peace to the land, much to the chagrin of the resident kung fu warriors.

Although the concept of a "kung fu panda" has been around since at least 1993, work on the film did not begin until 2004. The idea for the film was conceived by Michael Lachance, a DreamWorks Animation executive. The film was originally intended to be a parody, but director Stevenson decided instead to shoot an action comedy Wuxia film that incorporates the hero's journey narrative archetype for the lead character. The computer animation in the film was more complex than anything DreamWorks had done before. As with most DreamWorks animated films, Hans Zimmer (collaborating with John Powell this time) scored Kung Fu Panda. He visited China to absorb the culture and get to know the China National Symphony Orchestra as part of his preparation. A sequel, Kung Fu Panda 2, was released on May 26, 2011.

Kung Fu Panda premiered in the United States on June 6, 2008, and has since received very favorable reviews from critics and most of the movie-going public, including Chinese audiences who were impressed with the film's faithfulness to their culture. The film currently garners an 88% "Certified Fresh" approval rating from review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes. Kung Fu Panda opened in 4,114 theaters, grossing $20.3 million on its opening day and $60.2 million on its opening weekend, resulting in the number one position at the box office. The film became DreamWorks's biggest opening for a non-sequel film, highest grossing animated movie of the year, the fourth-largest weekend for a DreamWorks animated film at the American and Canadian box office, behind Shrek 2, Shrek the Third, and Shrek Forever After, and the 50th highest-grossing film of all time.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
King Albert!

Post Re: Kung Fu Panda
I saw it at a midnight screening.

This was certainly one of the more enjoyable animated films in recents. It has great on the edge of your seat action, an inspiring story, great voice acting, and most of all, a heavy dose of comedy. The comedy was what made the movie for me, especially Black and the sight gags. The WOM should be tremendous for this one.

Grade - A/A-

Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:08 am
Profile WWW

So this film furthers the stereotype that all animated movies are comedies?

Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:21 pm
King Albert!

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
So this film furthers the stereotype that all animated movies are comedies?

This is an action film sprinkled with sight gags. So, pretty much yes, but the gags here avoid any type of bathroom humor this time around.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:48 pm
Profile WWW

Don't get me wrong, the film looks better than most of Dreamworks's crap, but still I just angers me when people watch these Dreamworks films with their heavy doses of comedy that when people go to see a Pixar film and the comedy is more sparse that they downgrade those films because they aren't funny like the absent minded Dreamworks pictures.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:18 pm
Extraordinary

After a very unexciting first half, Kung Fu Panda picked up a little steam in the second half, but not enough for me to rate this rather dull tale as a good movie. Jack Black, of course, belongs to the Robin Williams school of irritating overacting in animated movies, though the directors do manage to reign him in a few scenes such as the best sequence in the film, when Shifu trains Po with food. The secondary actors hardly got any screen time to develop their personalities, and the CGI was serviceable when it wasn't showing way too fast action sequences. Not the worst animated film I've seen, but very disappointing...

2 out of 5.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:19 pm
What would Jesus *not* do?

This is easily Dreamworks best looking animated film to date. They're still not even remotely close to Pixar but the gang at Dreamworks have improved their digital animation skills greatly. As for the film, I found it much more enjoyable than it had any right to be. The first half is slow and uneven but somewhere in the middle it finds its rythymn and delivers the predictable story you expect in a satisfactory manner. Jack Black was well Jack Black and I didn't mind that to much in this type of vehicle. The other characters do get short changed, especially Seth Rogen's Mantis and David Cross' Crane, but ultimately more worked for me than didn't so.

Grade B

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:46 pm
Extraordinary

The best animated film from DreamWorks, and as pure entertainment as it gets. The story is very simple, and it still doesn't have the character development or the multi-layered relationships that Pixar excels at; however, it got rid of the pop-culture jokes that DreamWorks loved to do and which I never liked. The actions are great, but mostly Black and Panda made the film for me. It's so adorable, the humors are in right places, and it's a breeze to sit through. The director also showed clear knowledge of martial arts. I actually want to see it again. A/A-.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

xiayun wrote:
...it's a breeze to sit through.

Heh. That's the last quote I'd like to see on my movie poster!

Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:32 am
He didn't look busy?!

as good as big-budget animation gets outside Pixar, this cute movie blends a generic plot with a beautiful visual style to make a very worthy effort from Dreamworks. Jack Black and Dustin Hoffman really were well "cast" here, especially Black.

B+

Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I really enjoyed it.

xiayun said it best - it's easy to sit through. It didn't bore me for a second (unlike Pixar's last two efforts, and all of Dreamworks' previous since Shrek), it's often very funny (Jack Black is hilarious in this), the animation is excellent, it's exciting and action-packed; definitely one of the better animated films I've seen in quite a while, probably since The Incredibles. A good time.

**½

Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:10 pm
Extraordinary

Zingaling wrote:
I really enjoyed it.

xiayun said it best - it's easy to sit through. It didn't bore me for a second (unlike Pixar's last two efforts, and all of Dreamworks' previous since Shrek), it's often very funny (Jack Black is hilarious in this), the animation is excellent, it's exciting and action-packed; definitely one of the better animated films I've seen in quite a while, probably since The Incredibles. A good time.

**½

You meant 3.5 stars? :)

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-

Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Nah, no mistake there. I'm not a big fan of animated films, that is pretty good compared to most animated films. It still was no The Incredibles or Finding Nemo, but I enjoyed it.

Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:03 pm
Extraordinary

It was pretty average. It's hard to give it a negative review, but it's also hard to rave. The action sequences were surprisingly more enjoyable than the comedy.
Anyways, Horton Hears a Who was significantly better, so if that's still playing your theater, check that out instead.

C

Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:12 pm
---------

Funniest animated movie I've ever seen. Amazing action sequences. Just a great movie!! Much better than I'd thought it'd be. Voice acting is perfect, though I never even noticed Jackie Chan or Angelina Jolie.

A-

Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:28 pm
Extraordinary

MG Casey wrote:
Funniest animated movie I've ever seen. Amazing action sequences. Just a great movie!! Much better than I'd thought it'd be. Voice acting is perfect, though I never even noticed Jackie Chan or Angelina Jolie.

A-

Jesus is not amused. :sleep:

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

This was pretty good. I'd say it's definitely the best DW CGI film I've seen, but the bar hasn't exactly been raised that high.

The action scenes were very well choreographed, but I could have used about 5000 fewer slow motion shots. Trying too hard to be cool, DW.

Jack Black's voice acting was excellent, but I was rather disappointed in Ian McShane. They set Tai Lung up as this formidable supervillain and he ended up sounding like a surly Brit. A voice with more gravitas would have been more appropriate.

On the whole, I'd say B+.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:51 am
Commander and Chef

There is no charge, for being awesome!

Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:59 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

"There is no charge for awesomeness, or attractiveness."

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:21 am
Another You

Apart from the everything eLse mentioned, I thought the animation in this one was quite stunning for a DW CGI movie and aLmost every scene was great fun except for the ones in the prison.

B+

Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:48 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

The animation was absolutely gorgeous. Seriously some of the best to ever grace the screen. The visuals were really stunning. The film itself was quite enjoyable as well. I had a fun time - it moved at a fast pace and was quite funny and charming. The fight sequences were also really well-done. It isn't groundbreaking, but it's solid summer entertainment and sure to be the start of a new franchise for DreamWorks. B/B+

Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:14 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

I'm settling on an A- grade. My only complaint is other than Tigeress, the other 4 supporting casts are very underused; Jackie Chan had like 5 lines total. The acupuncture scene is the best usage of showing them together. It truly has some of the funniest moments I've had at theater in some time though, such as when we thought panda was sitting at the top of mountain depressed and then he turned around with mouthful of peaches, or when his dad said "there is something I should have told you long ago" and then told him about the secret ingredient.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-

Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:22 am
Profile WWW
---------

2001 wrote:
Apart from the everything eLse mentioned, I thought the animation in this one was quite stunning for a DW CGI movie and aLmost every scene was great fun except for the ones in the prison.

B+

Really? I thought Michael Clarke Duncan was easily the best voice casting of the movie. Plus the prison escape was pretty darn cool and how it was destiny trying to be prevented.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:55 am
ef star star kay

Dreamwork's best animation film since Shrek, indeed (excludes Chicken Run, which wasn't really their films, oh, and Wallace & Gromit). Visually, it's stunning, the best I've ever seen from DW. The depth-lacking script is still great with so much of fun and great humors. Though, not so impressive, the voice acting is still good. Another thing that really stood out, is how they fully capture the sentiment of the East. Every detail has been done with great care (and I'm Asian!). On top of all this, They have come to the point where they begin to realize; 'animation' is not a genre. 'Kung Fu Panda' is a pure action-packed, a great one.

A-

Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:07 am
Extraordinary

Very enjoyable surprise. It lacks Pixar's character development and depth of story and concept, but hey, what nonPixar animated film does? I laughed a lot. B.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:39 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next