Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Shelter (2007) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Shelter (2007) 

Post Shelter (2007)
Shelter

Quote:
Shelter is a 2007 film starring Trevor Wright, Brad Rowe and Tina Holmes.

It was the winner of "Outstanding Film - Limited Release" at the 2009 GLAAD Media Awards, Best New Director and Favorite Narrative Feature at the Seattle Lesbian & Gay Film Festival, and the People’s Choice Award for Best Feature at the Vancouver Queer Film Festival.

Shelter represents the feature directorial debut of Jonah Markowitz, who also wrote the screenplay.

Wed May 07, 2008 5:11 am
Profile WWW
htm

Post Re: Shelter
I guess one of the DTV gays requested this. :unsure:

Anyway, a fellow gay lured me into this, insisting it was the best thing to come from the SF LGBT film festival (or whatever they call it these days). I'm all for pulpy, raunchy gay humor - it has its place, like cheap bean burritos or women - disposable entertainment and all. :sweat:

But this was a really, really trite drama. Occasionally ambitious, though rarely successful, this goes through the motions and doesn't fail to use every cliché in the storybook - queer subject matter or not. Boy struggles with girl, meets ambiguously gay brother of a friend and builds a relationship, only to fall for him, struggle with his identity, give in, back off, give in, back off, and finally give in - again. You get the idea. Other classic themes are thrown in to boot (class strife, broken homes and the selfless/penniless artist), rounding out the generic screenplay that really burdens the decent acting from most of the players. Photography wise, there are some interesting arrangements that capture the essence of San Pedro, but nothing really compelling.

If this really is the best that queer cinema can come up with, I fear greatly that a more analytical discourse concerning queer identities is still far off - I can count off the films that "get it" or at least bring something critical to the table on my left hand.

Don't expect much - you won't walk away with anything new.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:51 pm
Team Kris

Is Brad Rowe gay? 90% of the characters he played (movies and TV) all happen to be gay. :huh:

Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:53 pm
htm

Christian wrote:
Is Brad Rowe gay? 90% of the characters he played (movies and TV) all happen to be gay. :huh:

Dunno how he can't be. It was one of those inherently homosexual performances (Nathan Lane-esque, but channeling Brad Pitt, who I think he looks oddly like at times). According to imdb, he's married, but I call foul play. :whistle:

Nebs, you've got the wrong Shelter on imdb - this is the correct one -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0942384/

Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:54 pm
Wallflower

"Shelter" is nothing new in the gay romance sub-genre, but it's a lot better than most of the junk that populates it. All of the emotions here feel genuine, and Trevor Wright gives a very good performance as Zach. All of the emotions he conveys ring true.

A nice, touching film. Well worth seeing.

7/10 (B)

I do feel this is kind of overrated in the gay community. Most are going nuts for it, and it's really nothing GREAT.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:48 pm
htm

The person who exposed himself, err, the film, to me has watched it half a dozen times in as many days, which really, really makes me wonder if his momma dropped him as a child/teenager/adult. :grrr:

Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:20 pm
Wallflower

zennier wrote:
The person who exposed himself, err, the film, to me has watched it half a dozen times in as many days, which really, really makes me wonder if his momma dropped him as a child/teenager/adult. :grrr:

If you want to talk about it being overrated, just read this thread: http://en.gay-lounge.net/index.php?topic=63859.0

:wacko:

Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:35 pm
The Wall

5/10 -> C-

Meh.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:23 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]