Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The Majestic 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

The Majestic 

Post The Majestic
The Majestic

Quote:
The Majestic is a 2001 American drama film, directed by Frank Darabont and starring Jim Carrey and Laurie Holden. Written by Michael Sloane, the film features a supporting cast of Martin Landau, James Whitmore, Bob Balaban, Jeffrey DeMunn, Hal Holbrook, and Bruce Campbell. Filmed in Ferndale, California, it was released by Warner Bros. Pictures on December 21, 2001.

Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Post Re: The Majestic
I loooved this movie when I saw it in theaters but I recently rewatched it and it was unbearable at times. Carrey wasn't good at all here and none of the supporting actors are worth mentioning. This is easily Darabonts worst movie so far. C

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:13 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

B+

I need to rewatch this, but I remember liking it a lot. It's pretty sweet, even though a bit overlong. Landau and Carrey both give very good performances.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:49 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

C-

Not much here, and what is is some nice production values, but wayy too sappy at times.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:39 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I knew a girl who insisted this was her favorite movie of all time. I didn't think too highly of her before that; Jesus, the things I thought after!

Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:00 pm
New Server, Same X

I loved this movie when it came out and felt smarter for thinking so! As time passed and I've spotted it randomly in sale bins, I finally decided to shell out $4.99 for it and rewatched it today. I am thrilled to say just how boring it really is!

And you can tell everyone involved, especially Jim Carrey, thinks they're working on the next great American classic. But, we all know how this turned out, and rightfully so.

C-, generously. Mainly because I was picturing how awesome it would've been if, halfway through, Carrey just started talking out of his ass for no reason at all. What a movie it could've been! What a movie it ended up being.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:19 pm
Speed Racer

I really liked the movie. It was one of Jim Carrey's most serious roles and it was nice to see him not ham it up in a movie.

Unfortunately, the mentality of the McCarthy era witch hunt is still very relevant today. Many people believe that anyone accused is "guilty, not possibly innocent" and they will refuse to let an innocent person even defend themselves. They won't listen to a word that an accused person says, because, doing that is an inconvenience. An innocent, falsely accused person might be able to easily prove their innocence, if given the chance to do so, and as long as people don't ignore facts that don't support their opinion. There is so much blind, unreasoning prejudice against an accused person. So, to reiterate, the McCarthy era mentality is still relevant. There is a quote I read recently, "Most people don't really want the truth. They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth". It's very true, unfortunately. The truth really needs to matter and not people's egos.

Subsequently, I loved the line where Adele tells Peter that the falsely accused have every right to tell those that falsely accuse them to drop dead. Unfortunately, you can't really tell people off like that in real life. They'll just moronically think that your anger at them, proves them right, instead of realizing that you are angry at them because they are complete idiots.

So, obviously, I also loved the part of the movie, where the McCarthy era witch hunters are making prejudiced, unreasoning, mindless presumption after prejudiced, unreasoning, mindless presumption. The one man says that they'll find a nest of Communists when they locate Peter. The movie then cuts to Peter innocently living out his amnesiac life. I don't know if that moment was meant to be funny, or not. But, their sheer, arrogant idiocy was funny. Know-nothing-know-it-alls never seem to realize how stupid they look when they have a wrong opinion. If only more movies did scenes like these. The TV show Three's Company's main source of humor was misunderstandings, people frequently jumping to the wrong conclusions about things. I would love to see a non-potty humor parody of Sherlock Holmes, wherein at least one character tells him that spouting mindless, generalized stereotypes isn't deductive reasoning.

In real life, misunderstandings aren't really funny. They can be traumatic and horrifying. Some people who have a wrong opinion will go around parading that wrong opinion as fact. Some of the people who were victims of the McCarthy era witch hunts suffered terribly. Some of them ended up committing suicide because of it. When people parade wrong opinions as fact, there isn't much anyone can do. For all intents and purposes, the people with a wrong opinion may as well be saying that "1 + 3 = 7" because, there is no truth in their wrong opinion and they don't tend to fact check.

Anyhow, A- for the movie.

Last edited by RainyMoon on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:11 am
Pure Phase

I enjoy this film. It received such a thorough and unforgiving critical savaging upon release, and I do not believe it deserved it. It is self-indulgent in regard to length, but well-acted, and I find its unapologetic Capra-style sentimentality charming and heartfelt.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:18 am
now we know

I got it about 3 weeks ago. I shall hopefully watch it soon.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:24 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]