Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 9 ]
B 44%  44%  [ 8 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 18

College Boy Z

Post Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

Quote:
Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (also known simply as Return of the Jedi) is a 1983 American epic space opera film directed by Richard Marquand and written by George Lucas and Lawrence Kasdan. It is the third film released in the Star Wars saga, and the sixth in terms of the series' internal chronology. It is the first film to use THX technology.

The film is set approximately one year after Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back. The evil Galactic Empire, with the help of the villainous Darth Vader, is building a second Death Star in order to crush the Rebel Alliance. Since Emperor Palpatine plans to personally oversee the final stages of its construction, the Rebel Fleet launches a full-scale attack on the Death Star in order to prevent its completion and kill Palpatine, effectively bringing an end to the Empire. Meanwhile, Luke Skywalker, a Rebel leader and Jedi Knight, struggles to bring his father, Darth Vader, himself a fallen Jedi, back from the Dark Side of the Force.

The film was released in theaters on May 25, 1983, receiving mostly positive reviews. The film grossed over $475 million worldwide. Several home video and theatrical releases and revisions to the film followed over the next 20 years. It was the last Star Wars film released theatrically until Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace began the prequel trilogy in 1999.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:21 pm
Indiana Jones IV

A+

Very Very good.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
King Albert!

I like this one. The story was really getting at a conclusion, and the twist were great. I am going to get some heat for this, but I thought the Ewoks had some charm in them (though they were a bit hokey at times). The character conflicts were also more interesting this time around, especially Luke, who has to decide whether to kill his own father of not. Nice execution, and great visuals too.

***1/2 (out of ****).

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:52 am
Profile WWW
---------

The cheesiness of this one cannot be made up be the most amazing space battle ever. I really hate all the sarcastic lines (they increased 200% from The Empire Strikes Back) and you can tell some of the cast did not want to be there. But, there is a lot memorable stuff in there as well.

Grade: 88.9 , B+

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:16 pm
Hot Fuss

A very worthy finale to the SW Franchise.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
loyalfromlondon

The worst of the original trilogy; still a great film though. The Ewoks are a joke, and the whole part at Jabba's (until the sand pit) feels like it's from a different movie. The space battle more than makes up for it, though. Plus the Luke/Vader fight is one of the best scenes in film history.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:54 pm
I'm Batman

As good a story of it's two predecesors but the Ewoks were just sooooo bad.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:09 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Best Star Wars film ever..AS OF NOW. I loved everything! Couldent ask for a better ending!!!!

A++

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi - C

Best out of the original trilogy. but still nothing to brag about. Tis' okay, but only due to the forest fight...and Solo, again :wink:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

The weakest of all Star Wars movies (including the Prequels). If you thought one Jar-Jar Binks was too much, just wait for the hundreds of Ewoks. (B-)

Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:35 am
We had our time together

Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:35 am
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

B

I already got it the first time :wink:

Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:55 am
Teh Mexican

B-

Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:41 pm
Killing With Kindness

A+

Luke was best in this film

Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Sat May 07, 2005 8:52 am
Profile YIM
Mod Team Leader

An aweome way to end the series.

Sat May 07, 2005 9:01 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

I always thought of ROTJ as the most underrated, and underappreciated Star Wars movie specially among the OT. This movie has perhaps the most emotional impact of the five so far. I love the emotion of this movie, the scenes like where Vader and The Emperor are trying to break Luke and get him to lose his temper. This movie is the climax of the whole Star Wars series, I know a lot of people hated the Ewoks and hated this movie because of them, but if you look at the other parts of this movie. Those being the space battle which is one of the best, the lightsaber duel where Vader tries to push his son toward the dark side, and ultimatly Anakin's redemption and return from the dark side. I always thought that the title of this movie Return of the Jedi was referring to Luke becoming a Jedi. But now I think in context with the Prequels that the title could also refer to Anakin breaking from the dark side and becoming a jedi again.

1. Titanic - $600.8m
2. Star Wars - $461.0m
3. Shrek 2 - $441.2m
4. E.T. the Extra Terrestrial - $435.1m
5. The Phantom Menace - $431.1m
6. Spider-Man - $403.7m
7. Revenge of the Sith - $380.3m
8. Return of the King - $377.0m
9. Spider-Man 2 - $373.6m
10. The Passion of the Christ - $370.8m

Fri May 13, 2005 4:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
La Bella Vito

I for one loved the Ewoks, and they only added to the overall quality of the film for me. I liked the action sequences, and I think the original trilogy ended with a bang.

A-

Fri May 13, 2005 9:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Superman: The Movie

Okay, I just went back to watch the original trilogy after I saw III in theaters, and I have of course concluded with this one. Before I saw Episode III, I always thought this to be the weakest of the original trilogy. Now watching it again, I am not so sure about that. All three of them are great films, but ranking them is very difficult. As of right now, I might place this one ahead of A New Hope simply because of the fight between Vader and Luke at the end. The dogfights are also much better in this film. It still doesn't beat the very end of the dogfight in the first (4th) film right before Luke blows up the Death Star when Obi-Wan talks to him and we get the awesome music cue, but it comes close.

The Ewoks also didn't bug me a lot this time around. As a matter of fact, most of the updated "Special Edition" stuff didn't bug me in this film. Now, I didn't mind all of the new editions to the original trilogy, and this one is probably the least tweaked around with. However, I still do not like the musical number in Jabba's palace. It just seems out of place, and completely brings the film to a grinding hault. This brings me to the most controversial change in probably (Exception maybe Greedo shooting first) the entire trilogy, is the addition of Hayden Christensen appearing as the spirit at the end of the film. Here, once again, is another impact that third film has for the greater good of the older trilogy. Before, I saw the III, I thought the addition of him as the spirit of Anakin seemed odd, even though we already know how the third film is going to end. Now after seeing III it seemed like the right thing to do.

All in all, I would say out of the six films, this is probably third on the list. Great film, and a great finish to the series.................maybe.

A+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri May 27, 2005 1:12 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

I loved the first half, but I was somehow disappointed in the ending of the trilogy. I know it sounds crazy, but I would have preferred Anakin to have remained evil. I know a lot of Star Wars fans will disagree very strongly with me, but I think Anakin crossing back over from the dark side cheapens the whole trilogy. It is the weakest of the original trilogy, but still a good movie. My grade: A-.

Fri May 27, 2005 1:18 am
Profile WWW
---------

Now after watching ROTS, these two are about equal to me. They both have some annoying stuff as well as very corny/cheesy things in them. But at the same time, the two movies both have some incredible scenes. Overall though, I think Return of the Jedi edges out ROTS by a hair...

Fri May 27, 2005 1:24 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

I'd give JEDI a "B+".. It was a fitting conclusion to the story about redemption and accomplished what it was supposed to do and everyone knows it.. I give it a "B+" because:

A: I didn't like how they humanized Han Solo and made him soft

B: It sort of seemed like the actors were tired and were ready to move on from this and you could tell it in their faces and in a sense, I could understand that.. 7 years is a slong time to be locked down to a contract like SW and they were ready to move on..

Fri May 27, 2005 2:43 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I'd give JEDI a "B+".. It was a fitting conclusion to the story about redemption and accomplished what it was supposed to do and everyone knows it.. I give it a "B+" because:

B: It sort of seemed like the actors were tired and were ready to move on from this and you could tell it in their faces and in a sense, I could understand that.. 7 years is a slong time to be locked down to a contract like SW and they were ready to move on..

Well I think Mark Hammil probably didn't want to move on LOL.

Fri May 27, 2005 2:56 am
Profile YIM WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

BKB_The_Man wrote:

Well I think Mark Hammil probably didn't want to move on LOL.

Yeah, I don't think he had much of a say in it though.. They were all tired and ready to end it..

Fri May 27, 2005 3:10 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Meh. It's a rehash of A New Hope 75% of the time, with a watered-down Han Solo to boot. It doesn't really come alive until the Throne Room scenes with Luke, Vader, and Sidious. B

Fri May 27, 2005 2:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next