Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back 

What grade would you give this film?
A 81%  81%  [ 22 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 27

College Boy Z

Post Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

Quote:
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (also known as The Empire Strikes Back) is a 1980 American epic space opera film directed by Irvin Kershner. The screenplay, based on a story by George Lucas, was written by Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan. Of the six main Star Wars films, it was the second to be released and the fifth in terms of internal chronology.

The film is set three years after Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. The Galactic Empire, under the leadership of the villainous Darth Vader, is in pursuit of Luke Skywalker and the rest of the Rebel Alliance. While Vader chases a small band of Luke's friends—Han Solo, Princess Leia Organa, and others—across the galaxy, Luke studies the Force under Jedi Master Yoda. But when Vader captures Luke's friends, Luke must decide whether to complete his training and become a full Jedi Knight or to confront Vader and save his comrades.

Following a difficult production, The Empire Strikes Back was released on May 21, 1980, and initially received mixed reviews from critics, although it has since grown in esteem, becoming one of the most popular chapters in the Star Wars saga and one of the most highly-rated films in history. It earned more than $538 million USD worldwide over the original run and several re-releases, making it the highest grossing film of 1980. When adjusted for inflation, it is the 12th highest grossing domestic film in history as of 2010.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:21 pm
Indiana Jones IV

My least favorite of the original trilogy but still great.

B+

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

one of the greatest films of all time - A

Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:35 pm
Profile ICQ
King Albert!

This was definetely a step up from A New Hope. The character development has improve, and so are the conflicts. The story was interesting too, especially the fact that Luke now has to be trained to be a Jedi, and a nice twist of finding out that Vader was Luke's father. Here, we get to meet Yoda. This is one sequel that outdistances the original.

***1/2 (out of four).

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:59 am
Profile WWW
---------

My favorite movie of all time and the only one to get a perfect 100.0 from me. You feel for the characters a lot in this one, and the carbon freezing room scene is my favorite scene of all time as well. The music and acting are perfect, and the effects are amazing for its time.

Grade: 100.0 , A+

Last edited by MGKC on Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:14 pm
Hot Fuss

****/****

This really is one of my best movies of all time.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
loyalfromlondon

The best of all Star Wars films; this is the one the others should be measured against. Great story, characters, effects (for the time), and especially music. Probably the best theme of all time in the Imperial March. The interactions between the characters makes it work so well, and then of course the ending. One of the best twists and one of the best cliff-hangers. Simply superb.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:50 pm
I'm Batman

The ending. Nuff' said.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:11 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Least Favorite of Original SW but still a A+

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW
I just lost the game

Best of the Star Wars movies, and the host of the greatest sequence ever filmed: "I am your father."

It's somewhere in my top ten, maybe even top five. Such a beautiful and amazing film. I can't believe this made the least amount at the box office.

It's beyond our puny mortal grades, but I think an A+++++ does it some justice.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:08 pm
Veteran

The best of the Star Wars films. The characters are at their best. It's a classic that never feels dated, even with better effects today. I rate it an A.

Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
I NEVER saw what was so great about this. I saw it when i was about 9 or 10 and didn't like it, and i saw it again recently and still did not like it. I think that the main reason that i don't like it, or any of the Star Wars movies, is that they are far too childish. The dialogue is also a big negative. This isn't awful or anything, pretty C-ish. The new Star Wars movies are pretty damn crappy though. They are entertaining if viewed in a MST3000-type manner.

Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:58 pm
Veteran

A+

Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

The best Star Wars movie and one of the best ever. More complex, darker and cleverer than the original it is a great piece of work. Having a new director injecting his own vision into Star Wars proved a great idea. Too bad Lucas didn't do the same for the prequels... (A+)

Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:41 am
Teh Mexican

i like the music, hehe!

A+

Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:43 pm
Killing With Kindness

A+++++++++++++

best damn film of all time :rock:

Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Last edited by Star Wars on Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:25 am
Profile YIM WWW
Mod Team Leader

Chilling, the best of the bunch so far!, 18 June 1999

Empire is a soap opera. It is a season finale that leaves you hanging for three years until the next one comes out ( fortunately for us that was 19 years ago and they are all out on video now ). And it is one of those movies that does something wonderful, it makes you feel something. It grabs a hold of your emotions and twists your insides like a pretzel. I rented this movie last night because just recently my own copy of it was stolen. And let me tell you, the film still left me exhilarated, exhausted, full of hope, excited and yearning to watch Return of the Jedi so I can see how Han gets rescued and I so badly wanted to see Luke and Darth square off in that final battle. But the one thing that this movie does perhaps like no movie has ever done is makes your heart stop.

" No Luke, I am your father. "

We have all heard that line a thousand times before and we have all seen Empire a thousand more times, but no matter how old you are ( I'm in my late 20's ) and no matter how many times you hear it, it still sends chills through you.

The Star Wars saga is pure magic and Empire is the best of the bunch. I can't say enough about this film and of the whole series. A New Hope, Empire, Return, and Phantom Menace are what movie making is all about and these movies do what films should do. They take you to another place and they entertain you. And there is no better film to do that than Empire. I really can't wait now for Episode 2. 2002 seems like it is an eternity away.

Sat May 07, 2005 9:17 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

This was my least favorite of the OT, but after rewatching it, I think it ranks higher than ANH on my list. The battle on Hoth was incredibly exciting, and the action was very good for 1980. I think this film was definitely Harrison Ford's best performance out of the three, the perfect mix of sarcasm and loveable gruffness. The film's only weak point was Yoda, who I felt could have been fleshed out a bit more, but he was OK. The fight between Luke and Vader in cloud city was absolutely wonderful, and the "Luke I am your father" reveal is still shocking, even though everyone knows it's coming. Overall, Episode III made me see episode's IV-VI in a totally different, and better, light.

A

Sat May 28, 2005 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
---------

Horrible film. No story (Luke wants to become a Jedi and the Empire is still hunting the Jedi, uh OKAY). No character development (the characters dont change and characters like Luke and Han are reduced) - all characters are rehashed. Boring space sequences. BORING. Dark but not dark enough. It's a load of rubbish.

3/10.

:shock: You hate a Star Wars film?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sun May 29, 2005 11:47 pm
College Boy Z

After watching it for the first time in almost five years, it's even better. It's the third best in the series for me (behind Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith), but it's just so...excellent. It's remarkable that I'm stunned by the special effects of a movie from 25 years ago.

Performances? Perfect. Action sequences? Awesome. Music? Rocks hard.

A

(onto rewatching Return of the Jedi...)

Sun May 29, 2005 11:55 pm
College Boy Z

I actually decided to watch the fight between Luke and Darth Vader again. It's awesome :)

"The force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet."

Mon May 30, 2005 12:26 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

I NEVER saw what was so great about this. I saw it when i was about 9 or 10 and didn't like it, and i saw it again recently and still did not like it. I think that the main reason that i don't like it, or any of the Star Wars movies, is that they are far too childish. The dialogue is also a big negative. This isn't awful or anything, pretty C-ish. The new Star Wars movies are pretty damn crappy though. They are entertaining if viewed in a MST3000-type manner.

Get the fuck out of here.. Too childish??? :???: This was the movie to usher in the phrase "Cliffhanger"... These movies aren't anymore childish than say the LOTR movies..

Mon May 30, 2005 1:51 am
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

I just saw this film for the first time after seeing the original star wars the day before. I saw the re-mastered DVD version so the CGI was obviously, a lot better than the original film

To be honest, it was fun. It wasn't deep, wasnt hugely interesting and at times it got engaged in lackluster development that was going nowhere. I felt it was a step down from the Original star wars. Dont tie me to my grade right now as pretty soon im going to review ALL the star wars films, but as of right now, its a strong....

[B+/B/B-]

Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Oh so so so overrated that words fail me. I think A New Hope is infinitely superior (mostly due to Alec Guinness) and I seriously can't understand the love and the obsession for this one. Its highlight is definitely Vader's reveal as Luke's father, but other than just, just a very entertaining and creative flick...

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next