Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Great Dictator 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The Great Dictator 

Post The Great Dictator
The Great Dictator

Quote:
The Great Dictator is a comedy film released in October 1940. It was written, directed, produced by, and starred Charlie Chaplin. Having been the only Hollywood film maker to continue to make silent films well into the period of sound films, this was Chaplin's first true talking picture as well as his most commercially successful film. More importantly, it was the first major feature film of its period to bitterly satirize Nazism and Adolf Hitler.

At the time of its first release, the United States was still formally at peace with Nazi Germany. Chaplin's film advanced a stirring, controversial condemnation of Hitler, fascism, antisemitism, and the Nazis, the latter of whom he excoriates in the film as "machine men, with machine minds and machine hearts".

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:21 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Great Dictator
I think it would have been better if cut by about half an hour. There are some wonderful scenes, but it drags in parts. A very good film, but not in Chaplin's top 10.

Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Too harsh, Groucho!

It's definitely not Chaplin's most graceful film, but it's a funny, passionate, important picture from one of our great artists. Great sequences flow like water, particularly those involving the dictator himself. And what a time capsule!

Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:35 pm
Forum General

its good but city lights is much better and some other stuff I saw in grade ten history class.

It is liking watching Vertigo, Psycho and Right Window and finally you watch North by Northwest and it was not as good as those three. :funny:

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It was my first try with a Chaplin film and I only ended up being slightly disappointed (but that is probably because of high expectations). Then I read that this is actually not considered one of Chaplin's very best works, so as far as that goes, I'm relieved.

I think the most striking about this movie is how much of a time capsule this is and how ingenious Chaplin must have been. Seriously, if I believed in something like clairvoyance, I'd be saying that this is a clear case of that. It's incredible how much of actual history Chaplin has forseen in this movie. The mass murder of the Jews, how huge the war will end up being. The "dancing with the globe"-scene is probably the most telling of all. It's too bad that Chaplin was apparently just one of the very few who saw what was about to come and could have been prevented. For that quality alone, The Great Dictator deserves a lot of kudos. I was literally amazed by some things that I saw in the film knowing that it was written in 1938/1939 with many years of terror still ahead.

It is also a pretty good satire, though not all of the stuff is as funny as it could have been. It is actually more of a message film than a funny one, I would say. Chaplin is good in his double-role, but especially excelling playing Hynkel. My major gripe with the film would probably be its unnecessary long running time. Sometimes the film seems a bit lost between its more grand message and just the usual Chaplin slapstick. As the film's highlight, though, stands Chaplin's final speech. Great writing there.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:16 pm
Profile WWW

I agree it's a little... rough at moments, but similar to city lights, it just felt so complete at the end. The final five minutes have to be some of the best I've ever seen in a film. I really need to see some more of this chaplain fellow.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]