Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Spartacus 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Spartacus 

Post Spartacus
Spartacus

Quote:
Spartacus is a 1960 American epic historical drama film directed by Stanley Kubrick and based on the novel of the same name by Howard Fast. The life story of the historical figure Spartacus and the events of the Third Servile War were adapted by Dalton Trumbo as a screenplay.

The film stars Kirk Douglas as rebellious slave Spartacus and Laurence Olivier as his foe, the Roman general and politician Marcus Licinius Crassus. Co-starring are Peter Ustinov (who won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role as slave trader Lentulus Batiatus), John Gavin (as Julius Caesar), Jean Simmons, Charles Laughton, John Ireland, Herbert Lom, Woody Strode, Tony Curtis, John Dall and Charles McGraw. The film won four Oscars in all.

The titles were designed by Saul Bass.

Anthony Mann, the film's original director, was replaced by Douglas with Kubrick after the first week of shooting.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Spartacus
Um, its a swords and sandal epic but it is the most sophisticated and best film of those kinds of films. You know the late 50's and early 60's where there dozens of epic films on history. This is no Lawrence of Arabia but this is way ahead of Ben-Hur! :funny:

One its not a simple fun epic like many where... There are some rather advanced themes like homosexuality. You know that oyster scene with the slave (which was not in the original cut, and Lawrence Olivier voice was lost, so they got Anthony Hopkins who was like Olivier's apprentice to copy the voice) :shades:
Two the film has many great actors with Kirk Douglas as the action hero and Lawerene Olivier (who's name just sounds sophisticated) really adds a lot to the film. He gives the film a great performance and it was really him that made the film more then a simple fun epic. Charles Laughton is pretty good as the grumpy old senator as well. I always wondered why Pompey was not in the film. He was a rather larger then life figure historically and should have been Laughton character, however it would have made Kirk Douglas even more irrelevant to the film.

Thirdly, the film starts off as a big fun epic and then becomes very dark and depressing and the ending is just dark. You can see Stanley Kubrick's work with the dark scenery and landscape near the end of the film. The battle is gruesome for its time and the scene of the thousands of bodies is rather disturbing.

Fourth, it is a fun epic as well with huge realistic battles and it being so epic.

The films faults with many of its secondary characters who are just comical and really degrade the film with their terribile acting and corny cheesy lines. Like Julius Caesar character... what a waste of a great figure...

Really if it was not for the depressing dark ending, and Lawrence Olivier performance in this film, Spartacus would have been forgotten like many of the epic's from that time....

B+
A great film with great acting and action with a great story however it suffers from being like the many other crappy epics from that time. I like it though...

Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Quote:
The presence of two directors is quite noticeable, as is the lack of Kubrickian influence on the script, as it's almost like a tale of two movies. There's the dark, depressing, realistic Kubrick stuff (the scene right before the first fight to the death, where the gladiators hear the nobles discussing trivial matters, is right out of Paths of Glory), and then there's the sappy, melodramatic, happy Hollywood stuff (those terrible montages of life in the slave camp). Luckily Kubrick wins out (for the most part) and the end is suitably dismal.

As with Paths of Glory, there's a lot of ideas thrown about dealing with the distinction between the higher and lower classes, and that couldn't be more obvious than with the political maneuvering of Crassus and Gracchus nearly outweighing the noble plight of Spartacus. Kubrick also likes three-way conflicts (Jack/Danny/the Overlook in The Shining, US/Russia/Ripper in Dr. Strangelove) and Spartacus and Gracchus uniting (in a way) to beat their common enemy is symptomatic of that. That stuff, along with that horribly depressing end with all the slaves crucified along the road, is vintage Kubrick.

Unfortunately there's all that cheesy Hollywood stuff about hope and glory and freedom that really feels at odds with the realistic epic that the rest of the film is trying to put forth. The ill-fated romance, Spartacus' many speeches, indeed the entire epic battle all fall in line with this. Of course, we also get that great "I'm Spartacus!" scene, so maybe it's not all bad.

The sexual innuendo and political drama which lie just under the surface are quite refreshing, and really distinguish this film from, say, Ben-Hur. It seems to me to be an epic more concerned with art than financial success, at least for the most part, and I really dug that. It's not perfect, but it's not mediocre like so many epics of the time, either.

Definite recommend, especially for Ben-Hur fans so they can learn what life is really like.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:01 pm
Forum General

to me this was the more darker and the better Historical epic of that time. The added influences of Kubrick really make the film much different from other epics. If Kubrick did the whole film, we could have a great film.
Ben-Hur was more entertaining and fun though.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:36 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I really like this film because it is not one of those stupid idealistic films.

It is one of those realistic pessimistic films about what really happens when people revolt and its not good.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]