Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 

What grade would you give this film?
A 81%  81%  [ 25 ]
B 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 31

College Boy Z

Post The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Quote:
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers is a 2002 fantasy-drama film directed by Peter Jackson based on the second volume of J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. It is the second film in The Lord of the Rings film trilogy that was preceded by The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) and concluded with The Return of the King (2003).

Continuing the plot of The Fellowship of the Ring, it intercuts three storylines, as Frodo and Sam continue their quest to destroy the One Ring, they meet Gollum, its former owner and continue their journey towards Mordor. Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli come across the war-torn nation of Rohan as well as the resurrected Gandalf, before fighting at the Battle of Helm's Deep, whilst Merry and Pippin escape capture, meet Treebeard the Ent, and plan an attack on Isengard.

Meeting high critical acclaim, It was an enormous box-office success, earning over $900 million worldwide, outgrossing its predecessor, and is currently the 14th highest-grossing film of all time (inflation-adjusted, it is the 60th most successful film in North America). The film won two Academy Awards.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:17 pm
---------

A stupendous part II of the LOTR series. Gollum comes in, and is quite brilliant. Frodo has more depth as well as Sam. This has great scenes, and is my #3 favorite movie, though I am debating on lowering it.

Grade: 99.0 , A+

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:23 pm
loyalfromlondon

The worst of the trilogy, but still an outstanding film. It suffers from both middle child syndrome (no clear-cut beginning or end) and too many storylines (especially near the end), but it still manages to be an incredible achievement. Gollum is superb, both as a special effect and a character. Andy Serkis truly gave the best performance of the film, though Viggo Mortensen was quite excellent as well in a much bigger role. New characters are given the same layered performances as all of the originals. The battle at Helm's Deep and the March of the Ents are amazing to watch, and, once again, the technical aspects are superb. It's just too bad that Gandalf wasn't in it more.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:47 pm
Veteran

The weakest installment of the LOTR trilogy, but the one that improves the most upon repeated viewings. It also contains some of my favorite scenes of the trilogy which include...

1. Gandalf appearing to save the day at Helm's Deep.
2. Gandalf 'casting' Sarumon out of Theodyn.
3. Gandalf falling and battling the Balrog.

Hm. I think maybe Gandalf is my favorite character in the series.

I would rate it an A-.

Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:17 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I too agree that it is the weakest of the trilogy, it's still a great one though. As usual the cast is great and the battle sequences are amazing.

- A

Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:40 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

The lowest scoring of the 3 LOTR movies for me... and yet it got a 9.8 :)

Loved almost all of it. The only parts I somewhat disliked were the parts where they showed the King's story and like Eowen and stuff... before the fellowship joined them

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:42 pm
Veteran

Like the book, I agree that this was the weakest installment of the films particularly because of the segmented storylines and the choppy pacing! However, the EE version of this more than made up for the theatrical release and I really enjoy it much more now!

'The stars in the sky...
Bring tears to my eyes...
They're lighting my way... tonight.

And I haven't felt so alive..
In years.'

MOS

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:49 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Classic Movie...IMO the worst out of the LOTR, but still amazing!

A+

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Golfaholic

The battle at Helm's Deep is awesome, but there are too many story elements that drag. It is also a problem that we should be emotionally with Frodo and his journey yet the story everyone wants to see is Aragorn's because of the presence by Viggo Mortensen. This is also the only movie where the extended edition is weaker because it drags even more and feels like too many unnecessary stuff has been added. (B+/B)

Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:28 pm
We had our time together

My least favorite LOTR movie. The battle at Helm's Deep is one of the best battles I've ever seen. Even tough it drags sometimes it's still one hell of a movie. A

Last edited by Riggs on Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

The weakest of the trilogy, but that's not saying much. It's still one of my favorite movies ever. The whole series is excellent, and as great as this one was, it doesn't match up to the first part or third part. The battle at Helm's Deep is incredible.

A+

Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:58 pm
Teh Mexican

not the best of the trilogy, the battle is amazing! great graphics, and what more can i say is LotR

B

Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:17 pm
life begins now

The worst of the trilogy, but still amazing.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:29 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

I for one like this one the best of the trilogy. This has the most awe-inspiring scenes than all three. I love the cinematography.

A+

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:46 am
I just lost the game

Best of the three, *barely* (Oh so barely. Seriously, if Fellowship's pacing wasn't so awkward I'd like it more) edging out Fellowship. The most awesome scenes in the trilogy, and most epic; I find Helm's Deep to be far more epic than The Siege of Gondor and Battle of Pelannor Fields.

A+

Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:05 pm
Hot Fuss

Draw dropping production values and solid performances around still make this one the best LOTR film I have seen (I haven't gotten to ROTK). B+

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
Kiera Knightly is my lady!

First time I saw this I thought it was better then FOTR, but 2nd time I didn't think so. this is my least favorite of the trilogy, but its still a excellent film!
number 7 on my all time list!
A+

Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

The second installment of the classic LOTR Trilogy is excellent (even better than the masterpiece FOTR). Gollum is the most amazing CG character ever in the history of film, the Battle of Helm's Deep is mind-blowingly awesome, and the performances (especially Bernard Hill as Theoden) are all-around excellent. The cinematography is awe-inspiring. This has some of my absolute favorite scenes out of the three movies as well.

A

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:09 pm
Indiana Jones IV

This movie is growing on me and FAST too! I give it a B +. It rules! LORD OF THE RINGS ROCKS!!!!!

Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:25 am
Profile YIM WWW

B- Dragged on way too much, seemingly went nowhere, pointless battles (to the story at least) and ended right where it started.

On a possitve note it did have the only complex element in LOTR which was Gollum, and great acting, but its pointless story is what makes it suffer.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:45 pm
All Star Poster

easily my favorite of the franchise, absolute classic

A+

Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:53 am
Extraordinary

A year, less a day has passed since I wrote my FOTR review and I sadly must report that The Two Towers is just more of the same. It is like the "Illustrated Classics" version of this epic tale - unfortunately, it must be told in such (necessarily) broad strokes that it comes off as more of an adaptation of a comic book than an epic book. Again, this is probably the only way to go with movie-izing this story, and I'm sure Peter Jackson does everything he can within the constraints of the medium. Everything except creating believable CGI characters, that is. Treebeard and Gollum are particularily weak links. (BTW, I think Steve Buscemi would have made a terrific Gollum, and would have added a lot to this episode and the next one!) The continuity of the various storylines is also very clunky, sharing with the first episode an unfortunate tendency to overemphasize the role of men over the other races, especially the hobbits. Again, probably necessary in film, as the story of Frodo, Sam, and Gollum is very "inside" their own heads. But, it further contributes to robbing the original story of it's remarkable depth.

Overall, I would have to recommend re-reading the book as a better use of time than seeing entries in this series (and if you somehow weren't drawn in by all the hype in the last two years, and have avoided seeing either film - do yourself a huge favour, and read the books first!).

1 out of 5.

Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:24 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

the best of the three in my book as well. no character introductions, no hour long endings. just middle of the story action, best visuals, and ents! A++

Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next