Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Definitely, Maybe 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 7 ]
B 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Definitely, Maybe 

Post Definitely, Maybe
Definitely, Maybe

Quote:
Definitely, Maybe is a 2008 romantic comedy film directed by Adam Brooks, and starring Ryan Reynolds, Isla Fisher, Rachel Weisz, Elizabeth Banks, Abigail Breslin and Kevin Kline.

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

Post Re: Definitely, Maybe
B+

This was a great little gem. It was light on the humour but it was charming. Ryan Reynolds and Isla Fisher have such great chemistry together and thanks to them glue the film from falling apart where it so easily could have. Excellent performances all around, especially by Fisher who is just fantastic to watch. Kudos to Reynolds for taking a risk, he is good but not great. Rachel Weisz is excellent, as per usual. Elizabeth Banks is not given a lot to do, but is always great to watch. Abigail Breslin isn't given much to do until the end, but she's charming and isn't annoying as Dakota Fanning. Kevin Klein is fantastic in his supporting role

Slight issue: The script probably needed another edit, as Emily's storyline wasn't fleshed out enough considering the end result.

But the romcom genre needed this, especially after the barely serviceable 27 DRESSES and the crap that was PS, I LOVE YOU. This is fresh and different. Highly recommended.

Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:28 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I loved it.

I LOVED it.

LOVED.

9.6/10 A

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:00 pm
Superman: The Movie

http://www.worldofkj.com/articleIndex.php?tid=31387

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:46 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

What a clunky, tiresome, mistold story.

The overarching plot device of Abigail Breslin was a misfire from the git go, only in place to launch the story's unexpected grace notes at the very denoument. How cheap! How tacky! Though even then, as obviously contrived as it was, it did manage to tug on my heart strings.

It sure didnt help that the lead was RR - - and, yeah, I know he's supposed to be playing fake, but even that comes off as fake here. The only thing that came off as completely honest was the freakin' politics! I'll bet this exact story is playing itself out at Obam'orifices across America as I write this.

Of course, I can't say I wasn't transfixed by seeing two 'o' my favorite gals in the same flick - - Rachel Weisz & Isla Fisher (who did such a fine job in last year's (anti-)comedy classic Hot Rod) - - and then comedy legend Kevin Kline on top! Well, I'll tell ya... that's entertainment.

A misfire in the romantic comedy field, which saddens me, because I had sucuch high hopes after a string of romcomwinners, along comes this DUD.

2 out of 5.

Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:34 am
Forum General

Yay! That means I'll love it. :P

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:49 am
Profile YIM WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Towards the end of the movie, at the zoo... by far my favorite scene.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:33 pm
Forum General

May I just say Ryan Reynolds in this movie: Boring. Also don't like him as a romantic lead.

On Abigail Breslin, she was there to just move the story along barely. Almost a waste but the story needed a kid. Think she might be a one hit wonder.

Now for me, Isla Fisher and Kevin Kline made the movie and Rachel Weisz was good.

Overall, an average to good romance movie but not close to a top level tier-jerker.

Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:00 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie was seriously one of the most adorable things ever.

Mini-review soon.

Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:59 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

I'm looking forward to Libs review. :yes:

Will it be :good: or :thumbdown: ?

Only time will tell...

Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:11 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

What an unexpected delight! This is one of the best romantic comedies I've seen in quite some time, and proves once again that both Working Title Films and StudioCanal really dominate this genre. It's just so sweet, funny and adorable - not to mention quite poignant as well. I loved all of the characters and thought they were all well-developed and interesting. The mystery aspect of the storyline worked quite well and gave this film a unique twist. I thought that it also served as a nice satire on '90s pop culture and also succeeded as a coming-of-age story as well. Everything about it just clicked. The writing and direction were both excellent, but this film really works because of the wonderful performances. Ryan Reynolds proves to be an appealing lead, both likable and charismatic. Elizabeth Banks is a bit underused but still very good, and Rachel Weisz is wonderful as well. Kevin Kline has a lot of fun in a nice supporting role. Abigail Breslin is adorable, as expected, and shows once again that she is one of the most talented child actors working today. But the real winner here is Isla Fisher, without question. She makes the movie so delightful. Previously relegated to funny supporting roles such as her great turn in Wedding Crashers, this film bumps her up to leading lady status and she delivers on all counts. Fisher seems poised to be the next great comedienne. She is just adorable in this role and also quite hilarious. I couldn't wipe the smile away from my face whenever she was onscreen. Anyways, this heartwarming film should not be missed. One of the best films of the year so far? Definitely. I can't wait to see it again. A

Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:32 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

I will have to see this again but I still feel that the romantic aspect was labored, gimmickly and not a surprise who was picked.

I did like the "book" part but that wasn't enough to make this movie.

And the little girl, Abigail Breslin, just like in No Reservations isn't anywhere close to her Little Miss Sunshine role.

And Ryan isn't an appealing leading man. He will always be Van Wilder. Look at some of his other roles like The Amityville Horror, Blade. Well at least not for me. But I liked him being the dweeb in Just Friends. That should be as far as he should reach.

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:07 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Grill. First you say he will always be Van Wilder... and then say you liked him as the DWEEB?! You're on something.

Of course it was OBVIOUS he would PICK April, but when it came down to what we THOUGHT the story was about (Finding out the mother) everyone was wrong.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:31 pm
Extraordinary

Grill wrote:
I will have to see this again but I still feel that the romantic aspect was labored, gimmickly and not a surprise who was picked.

I did like the "book" part but that wasn't enough to make this movie.

And the little girl, Abigail Breslin, just like in No Reservations isn't anywhere close to her Little Miss Sunshine role.

And Ryan isn't an appealing leading man. He will always be Van Wilder. Look at some of his other roles like The Amityville Horror, Blade. Well at least not for me. But I liked him being the dweeb in Just Friends. That should be as far as he should reach.

No need to second guess yourself - - thompsoncory loves everything... ;)

As I mentioned above, the movie ended with two strong scenes, that saved it from total failure. Problem is, the whole thing was way too long and the structure of the story was laboriously set-up to finallllyyyyy pay off at the very end. If this movie was half an hour shorter and handled by a competent writer and director, my opinion might have been quite different. (Well, they would have also had to properly integrate Abigail Breslin's character - sheesh, how lazy can ya get! ...and also pick a decent leading man...)

{Though I suppose it should get some points for a smart strategy - - a good ending makes audiences forget a lot of the tedium that proceded it!)

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:40 pm
Forum General

Munk·E wrote:
Grill. First you say he will always be Van Wilder... and then say you liked him as the DWEEB?! You're on something.

Of course it was OBVIOUS he would PICK April, but when it came down to what we THOUGHT the story was about (Finding out the mother) everyone was wrong.

Let me clarify. I liked or accepted him as Van Wilder because he was good and fit in well as that character and I liked him as the dweeb in Just freinds. And remember he was 2 different people in that movie. The older guy like in here, where he isn't leading man material, and the dweeb, the parts in the movie when he was playing his high school self, the dweeb.

Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:25 pm
Sbil

Yeah, it was pretty darn cute. I loved the story's overall unpredictable nature and that it took risks. Ryan Reynolds isn't the most inspired choice for the lead, but he's more appealing here than in most of his other outings. Abigail Breslin manages yet again to avoid making her character annoyingly cute. For the three female leads, writer/director Adam Brooks has selected a trio of talented, highly appealing actresses; Elizabeth Banks conveys a sunny warmth, the luminous Rachel Weisz is as solid as ever, and Isla Fisher is wonderful. Kevin Kline steals a few scenes in his brief role, although Derek Luke is bland as the best friend. It's a pleasure to see a romcom like this; it's never obvious who Will's future wife is or why they will later divorce. And then when that plot is revealed, the movie enjoyably takes on another course. For me, this edges 27 Dresses to become both the best date movie and best overall movie of the year thus far. B+

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:17 pm
Veteran

Definately, Maybe A-. Best film of the year, so far, also best romantic comedy in a while. While I was able to figure out the ending half way through the movie, the story was still fantastic. The character were charming. Elizabeth Banks is perfection, just warm and nice. Rachel Weiz is very, sexy and earthy in her role, if you know what I mean.. But like everyone has said, Isla Fisher steals the show, she is charming, beautiful, wise and perfect for her part. Abigail Breslin continues to be one of if not the best child actors today, she is irresitable and cute without being, too much. Ryan Reynolds is a great leading man. Albeit a little bland, but he does well. The ending is fantastic, the one I think the audience wishes for, throwing a nice little twist. Really well done, met my expectations.

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:03 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Anyone who has seen The Nines cannot say that Ryan Reynolds does not have range as an actor.

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:16 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
I'm looking forward to Libs review. :yes:

Will it be :good: or :thumbdown: ?

Only time will tell...

Libs wrote:
Yeah, it was pretty darn cute. I loved the story's overall unpredictable nature and that it took risks. Ryan Reynolds isn't the most inspired choice for the lead, but he's more appealing here than in most of his other outings. Abigail Breslin manages yet again to avoid making her character annoyingly cute. For the three female leads, writer/director Adam Brooks has selected a trio of talented, highly appealing actresses; Elizabeth Banks conveys a sunny warmth, the luminous Rachel Weisz is as solid as ever, and Isla Fisher is wonderful. Kevin Kline steals a few scenes in his brief role, although Derek Luke is bland as the best friend. It's a pleasure to see a romcom like this; it's never obvious who Will's future wife is or why they will later divorce. And then when that plot is revealed, the movie enjoyably takes on another course. For me, this edges 27 Dresses to become both the best date movie and best overall movie of the year thus far. B+

I must say, I expected better - - but then, I'm just a Libs' ROMCOM Review fanboy - - please ignore my insolence...

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:47 am
Forum General

thompsoncory wrote:
Anyone who has seen The Nines cannot say that Ryan Reynolds does not have range as an actor.

I didn't say anything about his acting which I wasn't judging, I said I didn't like his as a leading man nor was he an appealing romantic character and he was boring.

Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:03 am
What would Jesus *not* do?

Definitely, Maybe, maybe flawed and suffer from being a tad bit too long but overall it was an enjoyable movie going experience. Definitely one of the better rom/coms to come down the pike in long while. The chemistry between Ryan and Breslin was great and Isla Fisher was the glue that held this film together. Strong performances form Banks, Weisz and a great extended cameo from Kevin Kline add to the films charm.

Grade B

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:33 am
Forum General

Upon seeing this again, I have one big question.

It looked like Ryan's character was just now moving into his new place after the divorce based on the un-opened boxes being around the apartment and the divorce papers coming.

So the story looks like the daughter has never been told about her parents past at all? She didn't even know that they were college sweethearts and how long they knew each other. Based on the girl's questions in the movie, I don't think she is the type of girl who never would have asked any questions of the mother or father about their past. Just seems un-likely.

Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:45 pm
You must have big rats

B

Not as good as I expected, but still a solid romcom. Ryan Reynolds is pretty good in the leading role and all the ladies did their jobs pretty well. The real standout here, to my huge surprise, was Abigail Breslin, though, in a performance that I actually liked more than her far more acclaimed turn in Little Miss Sunshine. Fisher does her usual quirky, fun self, Weisz should have had a larger role, but she's very good in her small part too and Banks proves once again that she should be the leading lady more often (funny that she'll soon get to be the First Lady, heh). Reynolds is a charming lead, though the complexeity of the role sometimes overwhelms him.

The reveal at the end about the mother actually surprised me, but then the tacked on ending came and I realized why they went this way. I wish they had ended on a more sober note in the end, but I guess it was fine. My problem was that I never actually felt a lot of chemistry between Reynolds or any of the leading ladies here. Derek Luke is pretty wasted here too and the movie could have used some more humor. Kevn Kline in his short sppearance here is great, though. He should be playing more leading role again, dammit!

Overall, it's a cute and enjoyable movie, definitely better than something like 27 Dresses, but also not quite achieving the heights of the genre. Working Title has delivered better romcoms in the past.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Twas cute. Isla Fisher is so damn adorable and completely makes the movie. I love her! Didn't care for Breslin in the movie. She can be alright in some movies, but in Little Miss Sunshine (especially this one) and here she can be rather irritating.

7/10 ( B )

Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:05 pm
Devil's Advocate

Hmm... it's an enjoyable romcom (though there's not much com, which is almost refreshing, actually), but it has its fair share of flaws.

It just feels a little... plastic. The relationships, Reynolds. I thought at the beginning the movie was being meta in the sense that it seemingly follows basic romantic comedy rules and storyline and almost feeling movie or fairy tale ish, but then the scenes outside the flashback kind of bunked that. Or maybe the whole thing was supposed to be Reynolds telling the story. Either way, it didn't sit too well with me.

It doesn't help the film that the love-mystery angle of the plot was obvious within the first 5 minutes Fisher is on screen. I guess you could say it's to her credit that she steals your heart so quickly, but maybe to the film's detriment. After that, a lot of the reasons and plot points to why they don't get together for so long felt like they were there just to add more drahmaz to the whole thing. The ending felt a little contrived, with the speech and run-out and everything. I mean I was happy they got together, but I would've ended at the scene where he gives back the book, and then have her ask him on the way out if they want to get dinner sometime. The end. That openness would've been the perfect way to finish it, IMO. Another thing is that the "I love you" didn't really hold the weight it should've when he'd already said it to the other two girls... that combined with the fact that he only went to her after the other girls dumped him kind of make him look like a dick.

The Weisz relationship was a missed opportunity. You really had a lot to work with... her usual great stuff and a character that is from the beginning kind of kooky and horny, a hilarious performance by Kevin Kline that honestly deserves Oscar attention, and an interesting idea that she cares more for her work than a relationship because she simply likes it more. The line "I don't think I ever really needed someone anyways" or whatever it was, I loved that... there's really been few movie characters over the years who are alone and like it. But alas, that part of her role is mostly passed over in favor of a cliched arc... the crooner montage of them getting together, the speech in bed about how she could lie there forever, the guy buys the wedding ring, something gets in the way, they split. yawn. I also thought her character came into play too quick, especially with the kiss... it just felt like the 3 relationships began too simaltaneously.

Banks is kind of given a short stick. I mean I knew she'd be back as soon as Breslin said the girlfriend at the beginning always gets dumped, but even when she does, the movie skips over the part where he falls back in love with her. For someone he married and had a kid with, treated her as a prop in the Will-April story felt like a little harsh.

Also, one more kind of picky thing, I didn't like how the characters didn't change at all through the 15 years. Not in looks, not in personality. Maybe that was intentionally, but they could've tried harder on the aging make-up.

At the end of the day, I think Fisher (who again was just wonderful... she has a future. She single handidly made that relationship totally legit), Kline, and Weisz's performances make it watchable and worthwhile, really this movie had much better acting than it had any right to, but other than that, it didn't do much for me.

3/5

Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next