Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 In Bruges 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 18 ]
B 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 27

In Bruges 

Post In Bruges
In Bruges

Quote:
In Bruges is a 2008 black comedy crime film written and directed by Martin McDonagh. The film stars Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson as two hitmen in hiding, with Ralph Fiennes as their gangster boss. The film takes place—and was filmed—within the Belgian city of Bruges. In Bruges was the opening night film of the 2008 Sundance Film Festival. The film opened in limited release in the United States on 8 February 2008; premiered at the Jameson Dublin International Film Festival on 15 February 2008; later went on full release in Ireland on 7 March 2008; and opened 18 April 2008 in the United Kingdom.

Colin Farrell won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy for the film, while Martin McDonagh won a BAFTA Award for Best Original Screenplay.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:19 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: In Bruges
Very,

very,

very,

very,

very

funny.

...and yet a very insightful meditation on the ultimate meaning of human life.

17 out of 5.

(In the Matador school of reflective hitmen, except this time, extra dark.)

((Outstanding comic acting by the three leads!))

(((Wow!!!)))

(((())))

(((((Joins 27 Dresses on my top ten of 2008 list.)))))

(((((())))))

((((((()))))))

((((((((17+ out of 5!!!!!!!!))))))))

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:36 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Really great movie! Colin Farrel is awesome. It's not your regular crook movie. It has great humor and a brilliant, dark script. Definitely recommend it if it's playing near you. B+

Last edited by Mr. Reynolds on Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:39 am
Extraordinary

Didn't like this very much, although at least it avoided being conventional. It reminds me of last year's Shoot 'Em Up, with a more dramatic focus. A lot of the jokes missed, hard, and sometimes what was intended as drama got more laughs, but at least it brought something new to the table.
C

Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:14 am
What would Jesus *not* do?

This was one of those films that I was eagerly anticipating to see and I can say it didn't dissapoint. It has a wonderfully dark, yet meaningfull and engaging script, with knockout performances from Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson. Its the kind of story that has you looking one way while leading you in another, leaving you glad that you were fooled.

Grade A

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:59 am
Pure Phase

Loved it! Ãœber-respected playwright Martin McDonagh hits a home run with his cinematic directorial debut. An exciting film which winds through a number of genres, but hits every right note. When it's action, it's exciting and violent. When it's comedy, it's hilarious and fresh. And when it's a drama, it's moving and provocative. Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are fantastic. This is Farrell's finest screen performance to date. Ralph Fiennes is also very good in a smaller, but crucial, role.

If the titans Tarantino, Mamet, and Anderson (Wes or Paul Thomas, but more Wes) came together to co-direct a movie, I have a feeling it would resemble In Bruges. Can't wait to watch McDonagh's second film.

A definite A for In Bruges.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:56 pm

Funny, relationship between the characters was great, didn't chicken out, and I enjoyed the subtle character development, and the ending worked, well.

Peter Dinklage is great.

I loved the meeting between Harry and Ken, "Taking back the fucking comment about my fucking cunt kids"

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:44 pm
Extraordinary

I'm glad to hear another person saw In Bruges, but sad to see that we are maintaining our average of just a single KJ'er per week seeing it since it's release last month...

:(

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:39 pm
Extraordinary

I think I might have been a little harsh on this. Bumping it to a C+/B-.

Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:53 pm

Just got back from watching this again and it gets better upon repeat viewings. Great preformances and wickedly funny to boot. If you haven't seen this yet then do yourself a favor and go see it, you won't be disapointed.

Grade A

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:35 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Will you like this if you really really hate Colin Farrell

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:03 pm

Thegun wrote:
Will you like this if you really really hate Colin Farrell

Yes, this is easily his best performance. I didn't think he was all that great of an actor until I watched this film. He has great comedic timing (who knew?) and really carried his dramatic scenes well. Besides the film is just so much fun to watch it would be a shame to miss it.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:19 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Wow, what a great little film this turned out to be!

McDonagh has written some of the most interesting dialogue I've heard since Tarantino's heyday. Dialogue, I might add, that is sold perfectly by the three lead actors. If you've forgotten, or haven't noticed, what a funny, sharp, emotive actor Farrell can be, watch him here. You won't forget again. Bonus points for Brendan Gleeson, as well, who plays perfectly off Farrell's nervy energy and reminds us all what an asset he can be. The film looks amazing as well.

I was afraid this would another cliche "talky hitman" picture, but it's so much more. It veers wildly from genre to genre, and it never feels like anything less than a cohesive whole. McDonagh has a real grasp on tone. Also, did I mention how incredibly fucking funny the thing is?

My only complaint is that a last-minute (literally) development is foreshadowed from a mile away and really, really doesn't register. I can still hear the clunk sound that rang through my ears. Still, a small issue.

How did something this wonderful open in February?

Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:44 pm

yoshue wrote:
Wow, what a great little film this turned out to be!

McDonagh has written some of the most interesting dialogue I've heard since Tarantino's heyday. Dialogue, I might add, that is sold perfectly by the three lead actors. If you've forgotten, or haven't noticed, what a funny, sharp, emotive actor Farrell can be, watch him here. You won't forget again. Bonus points for Brendan Gleeson, as well, who plays perfectly off Farrell's nervy energy and reminds us all what an asset he can be. The film looks amazing as well.

I was afraid this would another cliche "talky hitman" picture, but it's so much more. It veers wildly from genre to genre, and it never feels like anything less than a cohesive whole. McDonagh has a real grasp on tone. Also, did I mention how incredibly fucking funny the thing is?

My only complaint is that a last-minute (literally) development is foreshadowed from a mile away and really, really doesn't register. I can still hear the clunk sound that rang through my ears. Still, a small issue.

How did something this wonderful open in February?

Focus had other features it considered more important. That and they didn't know how to market this so it got dumped in February (it does have some legs for a neglected film though)

Glad you liked it :)

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:31 am
Forum General

Is this going to stay in limited release in the US or will it go wider at all?

Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:34 am

Grill wrote:
Is this going to stay in limited release in the US or will it go wider at all?

I was told the studio only struck about 300 prints for US release so I don't see it expanding any wider. If it's playing within a half hours drive from you its well worth making the trip.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:35 am
On autopilot for the summer

Whoever says Colin Farrel is a great actor, is sorely mistaken. He's downright terrible most of the time. And some of his attempts at emotion are laughably bad here. Though he is certainly the best I've ever seen him in this since Minority Report. He plays a prick very well (wonder why) and he does generate a lot of laughs here, thanks to a very sharp screenplay, and a very great supporting cast in Gleeson and Fienes who are hysterical. The smaller actors in the film (no pun intended) are also very funny and make the film very enjoyable to watch and makes In Bruges the best film of 08 so far. A-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:04 pm
Extraordinary

Half the audience I saw this with were dead quiet, not knowing whether to laugh or walk out. Luckily, the other half were pissing their pants along with me...

Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:35 am
Extraordinary

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
I'm glad to hear another person saw In Bruges, but sad to see that we are maintaining our average of just a single KJ'er per week seeing it since it's release last month...

:(

Where's this week's review?

Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:42 am
No Wire Tampons!

snack wrote:
Didn't like this very much, although at least it avoided being conventional. It reminds me of last year's Shoot 'Em Up, with a more dramatic focus. A lot of the jokes missed, hard, and sometimes what was intended as drama got more laughs, but at least it brought something new to the table.
C

I think personally watching it, that you HAVE to be british or in some way very familiar with either the scottish or irish to find this funny. Its a VERY european film, with jokes and issues based on sterotypes, conventions and trains of thought you can expect from the characters because you feel as though you KNOW them.

From a US point of view, i'd imagine understanding the irish characters thoughts and motivations would be different. For me, with many irish friends and having been to ireland often, I found that hillarious, because i KNOW these people in life.

Anyway, i think the ending didnt function that well, but the rest was splendid.
B+

Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

a very, very unique film. I was a bit turned off by how mean the humor was at times (especially regarding that fat family -- not just because of what Colin Farrell said to them, but because of how it is later mentioned that the guy died while going up the stairs), but the acting from the main trio was splendid, the story managed to balance both humor and dramatic intensity extremely well, and the ending really brought everything together well (I was wondering what the hell the point of that midget was). Definitely worth catching, but it's definitely not for everyone.

B+

Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:06 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

full on A

2nd best, maybe the best film of 08.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:14 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Hilarious stuff, I honestly can't see it being beaten for me this year.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:58 am
You must have big rats

Need to post my review.

I loved it.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

I liked In Bruges

Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:05 pm
Profile WWW